FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPanicky About Being Overweight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Panicky About Being Overweight
    Posted: 18 December 2007 at 10:05am
Okay so i'm definitely a worrier and an over-thinker ... but i'm worried that i'm starting this pregnancy overweight and it's going to be a rough ride

Does anyone have any soothing words?
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 10:09am

I went through both of my pregnancies over weight. If you don't already maybe start walking every night that will help with your fitness for labour, it doesn't need to be a big walk but 30 minutes would help.

If you are concerned later on in the pregnancy you can get you weight monitered by your LMC.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 10:25am
I'm not advocating trying to lose weight when you are pregnant, but just because you are pregnant doesn't mean that you can't eat healthy, and exercise. Both times I have been pregnant I ate the healthiest I had ever done. i actually lost weight but wouldn't recommend that. I have found it quite easy to bounce back to my pre-pregnancy weight I think because I was so careful.
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 10:29am
I agree. I went through my pregnancy overweight and just made sure I ate really well and did some light exercise.
I too actually lost weight during the pregnancy which apparently is quite common if you are overweight to start with.
Shame it went back on so easy once Sam was born

Try not to worry too much about it, just be sensible and I'm sure everything will be just fine.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 10:31am
I'm overweight(feel free to pm me if you want zebra) and have had only a few problems like a sore back recently and slightly increased BP...but that isnt related to my weight..i started eating healthy since I have been pregnant and I have been one of those people who got weighed by their LMC (most dont) and have only out on 2kg so far and she is fine with it..

and now feel like i want to lose weight when i have him..which is an added bonus as i want to lose weight when he's born and I wasn't really worried about it before! what makes you think it will be a rough ride?
Mum to two amazing boys!
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 10:38am
You ladies are all so lovely, thank you

I'm just being a nervous nelly I guess and can definitely see that I might lose some weight initially with the healthier diet, drinking more water etc. Being pregnant is a great motivator for really looking after yourself. I do belong to a gym so plan to continue with low impact aerobics and yoga while I can.

So have you only put on an additional 2kgs from your pre-pregnancy weight kawwww?
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 10:48am

I would ask a PT at your gym about a new plan for you now you are pregnant, most should be able to help you out.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 10:52am
yes zebra...i believe your body puts on what it needs to really..

i will pm you about the weight exactly:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
Snappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 10:53am
i was overweight during my first pregnancy.. and i continued to eat the same as before and managed to gain even more weight. i really wished i had of eaten more sensibly but i was only 19 years old, and had pretty much no idea..... I think the others have given you some really great advice, just eat healthily and try and get a bit of exercise if you can.

I did managed to lose 30 kgs after she was born and have managed to keep it off (up until now of course!)

Edited by kaiz231
Mummy to two beauties... Formerly Kaiz.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 10:54am
good on you about the gym...i have been exhausted this whole pregnancy..but if you can keep it up(with advice from a gym trainer of course) then thats awesome..:) yeah the main thing i did that i didn't do before is drink water and limited caffeine..i know what you mean about a worrier..i had a missed m/c at 12 weeks in feb and i still worry every day..!
Mum to two amazing boys!
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 11:00am
These forums really are so wonderful. It means so much to be able to exchange support and advice

I honestly feel so much happier now
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 11:10am
that's good:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
josephnia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 1:25pm
If you would like any advice on exercise I'm a personal trainer and can give you some help if you like
mummy_dee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 2:58pm
Just lending my support too. I started this pregnancy overweight (ok so technically obese ) So far I've managed to keep my weight gain to 2 kgs.

Glad that you are feeling better about it, Ohbaby is great huh?
Daphne

Married Stuart: 19/03/05
Oliver: 9/06/06
Lilia due: 19/03/08

Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 4:11pm
Ohbaby is so great! It seems to me that not a lot "happens" in the first trimester (in terms of visiting health professionals etc.) and it's wonderful to have people to talk to about all those little internal thoughts

Would love some advice josephnia. I was planning to keep going to the gym as long as possible and focus on the treadmills and crosstrainers. I used to love pump classes too. Do you think these are safe? And yoga I guess until my belly starts to grow!
josephnia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 4:40pm
Exercise is definitely recommended throughout pregnancy provided there aren't any other health concerns (i.e previous miscarriages, other illnesses etc). The guidelines are that your heartbeat should stay below 140 beats per minute - this is because you don't want your baby to get too hot as it has no way of regulating it's temperature, make sure you drink PLENTY of water before, during and after, wear loose cool clothing with a good supportive sports bra, and be careful with your range of motion - your body will release a hormone called relaxin which allows your ligaments to stretch for birth but this also means that you can overstretch and pull muscles. Definitely stop if you feel any pain, feel dizzy or very tired or have any vaginal bleeding.

In the first trimester you just need to watch your intensity levels - keep an eye on your heart rate, take plenty of breaks and remember that your body is going through an awful lot at this stage so you don't want to overdo it and you may not feel up to exercise at all anyway.

Got to leave work now, will come back and finish this evening
josephnia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 5:23pm
Ok, part 2...

Xtrainers and treadmills are great - hopefully your gym has lots of fans or air conditioning that will help keep you cool especially as we head into summer. You can monitor your intensity by your heart rate, or go by how you feel e.g when I do my cardio I make sure I can still breathe totally through my nose if I try and can carry out a conversation. Don't go so hard out that you're gasping or can't talk! Pump should also be fine - try lowering your weights a bit and make sure you take breaks if you need them (esp the squat, lunge and shoulder tracks as they will get your heart rate up a lot higher) Pump may not be suitable in the second and third trimester though - PM me if you want more info on this.

Yoga should also be fine although like I said be careful not to overstretch and there may be some poses that aren't appropriate (headstands, camel pose etc). You may find that in a few weeks lying on your tummy is uncomfortable so some poses may need to be adapted. Whatever group class you do make sure you tell your instructor beforehand so they can give you alternatives. I have been doing step classes and have modified them by lowering the step, keeping it low impact with no jumps and by keeping my arms no higher than chest height. If you have access to a pool aquarobics and swimming are great as well.

There are different things to consider as you get into your second trimester (centre of gravity, balance etc) but I'll leave it here so it's not too much info all at once!

Hope this helps to give you an overview but make sure you either consult your doctor or LMC and an instructor or PT at your gym as well The biggest thing is just to listen to your body, it will tell you if you're doing too much! If you have any questions I'm more than happy to try answer them for you All the best for a healthy, active 8 months!

Jo
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2007 at 9:00am
Thank you so much Jo, that's wonderful advice
lucky3rdtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky3rdtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2007 at 3:42pm
Hi Zebra, I am also overweight,well obese actually, and I haven't experienced many problems during this pregnancy at all.

Try not to panic about it, just eat sensibly and continue with your exercise as long as you feel comfortable doing it. Pre-pregnancy I walked about 1 hour a day and did aqua-aerobics 3 times a week. I continued doing this until about 20 weeks when I stopped aqua -aerobics as I was just getting too tired and finding it a bit uncomfortable. I still try to walk as much as possible now, maybe not an hour a day but 30 minutes a day or so.

And all advice I have heard says not to go on a diet either, just eat sensibly, going on a diet during prenancy can be dangerous for the baby. I would only diet under medical advice during pregnancy.

all the best for your pregnancy, try an enjoy this special time for you and bubs.
 Post Reply Post Reply