FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJanuary & February Mummies 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 1037>
Author
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 2:57pm
Gosh Freesia, I feel for you with DP going back to work... my DH goes back next Monday, and I had a 'moment' this morning getting all worried about it. Pretty silly really, cos Harry is really quite a settled baby.

Emz, that's great Jackson is growing so well
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Sponsored Links

Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 3:36pm
I can't complain yet because mum came up to help me while DP is at work this week. She's still a bit worried about my c-sect. There are all these things they tell you you're not supposed to do for a while that really make you quite useless on your own. I'm getting around alright most of the time it's just that fear of over-stretching and ruining all the healing I've already done.

I'm sure we'll all manage on our own, it's just a bit daunting knowing how much work there is and it's really a whole nutha routine to try and settle into.

Harry sounds like a dream so I'm sure you'll be fine. My MW told me that Olivia needs to be fed at least every 3 hrs (to encourage my milk more) and overnight we can have one 4 hr sleep if she stays down that long. There go our hopes of nice long sleeps at night.
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 4:39pm
Haha emz Joshua does the same thing he always tries to get a hand in his mouth with the bottle and ends up making a huge mess. Midwife couldnt make it today so when she can come and weigh him i reckon he will be huge we have started to buy the infant nappies instead of newborn now cos although they suppose to be to 5kg they seem a bit tight and the infant ones (4-7kg) seem heaps comfier for him.

Well better go start tidyin up a bit before mum gets home from work i feel bad she does so much for us when we are home all day (cooks tea does our washing before we get a chance and all while hijacking joshua as soon as she gets in the door) As DP keeps saying how can something so small wear out two people so much??? We are working on a bit of a routine at the moment but its hard with him being quite unsettled the last few days. He is awake most of the day and still wont sleep for more than 2 hours at a time at night with 3-4 hour sleep from about 11pm every couple of nights
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 5:20pm

Freesia my mw got a call first thing this morning with a "is this ok" question  she is coming on Friday to weigh Miss Isabelle so hopefully she is gaining some fatness as she is definately a minifatty

Gosh I cant believe how old Harry, Josh and Olivia are now!  I go to hospital for a few days and wham ... they are "grown ups" ...

We went up for a stroll to Mt Eden today to get some fresh bread my prescriptions and some DVDs ... it was lovely to get out and about in the sunshine .... and I love the way people try and peek into see Isabelle ... and everyone is amazed when they find out she is only days old ... they forget how little babies start out

And on the DH going back to work ... Ive got to admit Im a little scared ... and Isabelle is a dream baby ... my Mum has taken time off work when DH returns so I will have someone there, but its "just not the same"

Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 11:21am
Just read your birth story lilfatty... amazing!! Although I'm not sure I should have read it when I am due any second now. Not sure I should have watched "Knocked Up" last night either

But I'm still more excited than nervous, and just want my baby out now!!
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 11:31am
lilfatty your birth story is amazing and its so neat how she DID come on her grandads birthday!!!!

lol Janey that movie cracked me up! When she scremas "GET OOUUTTT" I nearly peed myself laughing. Although I saw the uncut version and EEEK the crowning thing scared me!!

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 12:11pm

At least I missed out on the crowning I suppose

Well it was our 2nd night at home last night .... and I was feeding Isabelle and I had this overwhelming thought of OMG I'm responsible for this little one!  HEEEELP I have no idea what I am doing

So not fair ... everything else comes with instructions

LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 12:45pm
Lol Sheza, it was the uncut version I watched last night too. I still can't get it out of my head, I definitely don't think it would help me to see her head coming out with a mirror at the time, LOL.

Lilfatty, it all must seem pretty surreal... but just remember, if she is being fed and changed and is cleanish and loved... then you have it covered. Everything else is just details I have no idea about babies, it's going to be such a learning curve!!
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 4:43pm
Yep, what Janey Said Julia Im starting to freak out with less than half way to go now! I keep wondering if Il be a good mum But then everyone has to start somewhere with being parents etc. Im sure you are doinf just fine

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 5:01pm

Thanks Sheza and Janey ... Im trying to remember that it is the same for everybody when they become parents....and I wouldnt trade parenthood for anything!

Ive heard the world surreal used lots on this board ... and even that is an understatement

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2008 at 9:28pm
oh gosh! Here I am thinking I'm all good and up to date and here you guys are chatting 19 to the dozen in this thread too!

Babywise is pretty strict from what I've heard. There's also Contented Little Baby (which I've sort of adopted the feeding routine from) and Secrets of the Baby Whisperer. I've only read the last two though so I can't comment first hand on Babywise.

Whatever you do make sure you don't read so much that you get out of touch with your own instincts. I deliberately didn't read any of these until Rowan was a month old because I think it can make you doubt yourself a bit. And when you do read them remember that you can adapt them to suit you - you don't have to follow them to the letter.

It's hard when the DH/DP/DF goes back to work but if you set yourself a goal of just getting dressed that day you will be a lot less stressed I reckon. I had days like that and had my mum around

Julia isn't it crazy how many painkillers you end up with? My prescriptions totaled $70 No one tells you to budget for that!

Hmm this may be TMI but I have a horrid suspicion I have thrush on my nipples! They feel sunburnt. Anyone know wha t the symptoms are?

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2008 at 9:40pm
Ditto on the painkillers! All my 'drugs' cost $100 I had no idea it would be so expensive. Thankfully mum offered to pick them up for me and then said it was part of her contribution.. sweet ay It's quite funny that after a natural birth with no drugs or intervention, I needed quite a lot of 'intervention' and drugs after!! But I am very grateful that I tore rather than cut, cos I'm sure it heals better. My stitches are healing really well now and all the swelling has gone down, though I'm still eating lots of licorice and prunes and stuff cos that part is pretty scary . It's sore sitting for long periods of time but hey that's what the drugs are for right . How are those of you who had c-sections healing? I've heard it really hurts to sneeze or laugh or anything, and you're not able to lift much?

Bobbie sorry I have no idea about thrush. By the way I love that photo of Rowan in your ticker, so cute.

Edited for mummy brain

Edited by arohanui
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2008 at 9:56pm
If anybody wants copies of the book recovery after cesarean pm susieq
Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2008 at 10:47pm
I still haven't read my c-sect book I haven't had much trouble with it so I haven't really worried about it. I think because we were in and out of hospital I had my mind on other things besides the pain. I would always forget my pain meds in the confusion and I've pretty much been off any meds for a while now.

I've been lucky in that DP and mum have been running around doing all the things that I'm not supposed to do so I've had a good chance to heal without pulling it or straining too much.

Arohanui, the laughing did hurt for a little while afterwards. 4 days post-op, DP made a comment to my BIL that had me in fits of laughter and it really hurt.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 9:02am

Ditto on the laughter .... that huuuurts .... but sometimes I cant help but giggle ... I just hold my stiches lol

My mw did tell me off for vacuuming .... although to be fair, nobody at the hospital told me what I could and couldnt do ... and I didnt get any literature (sp) so I was just kind of going with how I felt.

So my mw basically said I couldnt do anything for at least a couple of weeks except a gentle stroll ... but boy is it hard seeing stuff that needs to be done ... but not being able to do it!  But she said ... just think ... i dont want a wound infection ... i dont want a wound infection ... she said that would help me sit back and relax

Oh and bobbie im not sure on the thrush ... i know my nipples feel like hot pokers though!

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 12:15pm
When I was in hospital someone came to talk me through the exercises I should be doing post-op and was like 'they're in your book' - umm what book? Apparently they were meant to send a C sect book out with my booking form but never did. I didn't read it really either (the new copy they gave me in hospital).

My MW made me swear to take painkillers regularly for 5 days after I left hospital and then she said it was up to me. TBH I don't think I needed them and the voltaren upset my tummy anyway.

I know it's hard when the housework is beckoning (I'm so anally retentive about housework usually). Though your body will let you know pretty quickly if you over do it.

The worst for me was choking. I seemed to keep choking on my water right after the op and that really hurt!

Edited by Bobbie

susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 1:05pm
Years ago, I used to be in the Auckland Cesarean Support Group when Kelly(caitlynsmygirls) mum was little and we printed a booklet called Recovery after Cesarean
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 9:28pm
Ok I have officially had the worst day so far

Yes I have thrush on my nipples so I'm now having to cover them with gel after every feed.

Plus I had Rowan crying inconsolably all day and at 3pm I finally realised it wasn't the after affects of the shots but that the medication they gave us for her thrush has burnt her entire bottom and every time she poos she screams in pain. So back to the doctor at 4pm and now we have new medicine plus they cleverly decided to FINALLY take a swab to see if it is actually thrush or if they've just assumed that all along.

If the new lot of medicine doesn't help we have to go back Monday and possibly get referred to a Paediatrician.
My poor little girl - six weeks old and in complete agony. She's getting Pamol 4 times a day just to keep her ok.

And finally to top it all off I tried to sort out a bottle to feed her (as she was only feeding for 5mins from the breast because she was so tired) and didn't screw the lid on properly because I was doing it one handed so managed to spill a lot of it all over me before I even got it to my screaming baby.

Totally the worst day ever. Sorry to rant but I had to vent because otherwise I think I may start crying and not stop.

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2008 at 11:11pm
Awe Bobbie thats a pretty bad day poor rowan.

My prescriptions didnt cost that much the panadol voltaren and ural were under $40. I reckon being cut healed really well still paranoid about #2s tho even tho its been fine for awhile. TMI but Im so over the bleeding the midwife said it should be settling down now but every now and then i keep getting gushes of blood when i go to the loo i swear after one night it looked like id murdered someone it just poured out then stopped. Cos im not filling a pad an hour she says its fine although if it hasnt settled by next visit i will be sent for a scan. DP me and bub are all heading to chc for a week so any probs with im to contact my old midwife or go straight to a & e. Its a scary thought no knowing for sure. I have no idea how to describe my bleeding everytime she asks so i get paranoid i havent described it right or something.

Well better go sort the boy out he wont sleep so mum walking around with him. We are running out of ideas to try settle him
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2008 at 8:39am

Oh Bobbie!  You must be feeling super stressed!  And this heat wouldnt help either

Hopefully the doctors finally get it right and sort out both Mummy and Daughter .... I cringe when Isabelle cries .... my mw "talked" to James and I yesterday about how its not bad to let her cry (as Isabelle wasnt impressed by the poking and prodding she was enduring)... but it breaks my heart! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 1037>