FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPrefolds and covers - sizing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prefolds and covers - sizing
    Posted: 10 February 2008 at 2:19pm
Harry has grown out of most of the disposables we have (samples and ones we got given) so over the last couple of days we've started trying out our stash of cloth nappies. By far the one that fits best and doesn't leak is the Bummis whisper wrap (and it's so cute with the little frogs!).

So we're looking at getting a few more, but I noticed that the size he's in (small) is 4-7kg. Now my little man has been putting on at least 400g in the last couple of weeks, and at the last weigh in (3 weeks) he was 5kg.

From your experience, is it worth me getting these? Or do you think he'll grow out of them soon? Should I just stick with the cloth nappies we've got and disposables til he reaches size medium? (7-14kgs).

Money is a big factor so we don't really wanna be buying something that only lasts for a really short while.

Also, how many prefolds and covers do you think I need? I wash once a day, usually in the evening and hang out overnight.

TIA
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 2:33pm
while he isnt moving much you might want to consider some cheap covers from the likes of farmers or baby factory... thats all i used in the beginning..then when you are ready to upsize get the mediums...

some other good PUL covers that are a good price are moon-eze available from the TM seller kimnz....i think cutiebums also do cheaper covers too...

if they are well looked after you may be able to get a good resale value for them again anyway, or buy them second hand from TM anyway...

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 2:40pm
Thanks GandT... we have some other covers that don't fit him around the leg properly, so I guess I'm little apprehensive at buying other sorts cos they might not fit either. I will check them out though - and good point about resale...
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 4:53pm
I'd also consider how many kids you want! - if you want another kid or 2 it's going to be well worth it for the price - or you could check out a small hire kit?

kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by AliaDawn AliaDawn wrote:

I'd also consider how many kids you want! - if you want another kid or 2 it's going to be well worth it for the price

I agree - if you think you might have another baby sometime in the future then buy some more of the wraps you know fit well. If you don't use them again you can resell them. Otherwise you might ending up spending money on wraps that don't fit as well and you'll regret not going with your first choice.

That's just my opinion anyway

Vic xx
3boys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 9:34pm
I also had a big gainer - 500g a week! The small wraps lasted until 4 weeks and then we went up to the next size 3-7kg and he grew out of those at 5 months (8kg). I then sold those to pay for more of the medium and they have heaps of room and will fit for a while now I think.

I would recommend getting six of the covers in the next size up - I also wash daily and this seems to be enough. I wouldn't buy any more small as they won't last long and the smaller sizes are harder to re-sell.

I also found the prefolds and bummis best for leaks but my other types of nappies (pockets ect) bgean to fit better and not leak once he got a little older.

Post Reply Post Reply