FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSalicylates, additives and preservatives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salicylates, additives and preservatives
    Posted: 10 February 2008 at 7:17pm
On DH's side of the family there are soooooooo many food allergies and intolerances...dairy, lactose, wheat, additives, preservatives, salicylates etc etc. There aren't any on my side so I'd basically discounted the idea that Elle's unsettledness, particularly as a small baby, could be food related. However, I'm now rethinking it.

I've been reading a lot about salicylates and one of Andrews Aunties is quite intolerant to them. Anyone got any experience in reducing these in their kids diets?

Anyone else cut out additives and preservatives i.e. almost all packaged foods?
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Sponsored Links

ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 9:08pm
Not sure how to cut out additives, but I was given an interesting (and slightly disturbing) book called "The Chemical Maze - Shopping Companion" by Bill Statham; it is a guide to food additives and cosmetic ingredients. Kind of scary when you actually start reading your labels and find that something that is used in your food is also used in things like shampoo and moisturiser !!

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 9:44pm
Hi Fiona, we don't buy anything that has anything "scientific" in it. That means no additives, no preservatives, no artificial sweeteners, no emulsifiers etc etc. It means that basically I buy fruit, veg, meat and a few rare things in between, there are some products that don't contain any like dolmio have stopped putting all that crap in there sauces. Signature range are quite good and some of the watties stuff is free of nasties as well, you just have to become a label nazi. Also check each manufacturer, so i.e I was looking for a soy sauce and after checking everyone in the supermarket I found one that was free of these things, so don't look at one and think "oh can't have soy sauce anymore".
Organic isn't that expensive anymore either so you could look at going that way for shampoos etc. Ecostore are making more and more cleaning products as well as baby soaps/shampoo, so perhaps try some of their stuff.

Post Reply Post Reply