FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBirth Stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 39>
Author
first_bubz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first_bubz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2004 at 3:42pm
Wow, what an awesome birth story.. Well done! I'm hoping to have a drug-free birth as well, but we'll see...
Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2004 at 8:15pm
Just go into it with an open mind - that way - you are relaxed instead of stressing if you need to use pain relief.   Don't over analyse anything, just focus on something else, find your "place" and float away there instead of focussing on pain. lol sounds like a bunch of hippie bull, lol but thats what i did, and it worked. realistically - if I had had a longer labour i think i may have used pain relief. as i said.. keep an open mind, and just go with what you need to do.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2004 at 2:47pm
Must be my turn to put my story in here now seeing as Ella is 5 months old!

On April 1st I noticed I had a really achey lower back, and it wasnt going away. That was a Thursday. The following Tuesday morning (April 6th) I had a show. Wednesday morning, I woke up a bit earlier than usual, around 7.30. I was contemplating getting up to go to the loo when I felt something go 'pop', as if the baby had just kicked the top of my cervix. I moved very fast and just managed to hold on to get out of bed and to the toilet so my waters didnt go everywhere!
Contractions started pretty much straight away, irregular, but getting stronger. I phoned my midwife around 8.30am, she said she would come and check up on me during the morning. Well by about 9.30 I was dry retching in the kitchen sink, had had diahorrea a few times and was generally uncomfortable, so had my husband phone my midwife. She was just around the corner at another patient so arrived by 10am. She brought a wheatpack which was bliss on my lower back while I was kneeling on the floor leaning on the couch. By 11.30 or so I was getting the urge to push so we piled in the car and off to the hospital, once there my midwife did an internal and I was 10cm! About an hour of full on pushing and Ella Elizabeth was born at 12.58pm, no pain relief, 4.5 hours clinical labour. Her apgar was 9,10 and she weighed 6lb 13oz (3100grams), 51cm long. John got to cut the cord when she was born. I ended up with a second degree tear (internal) which was stitched, that was the worst part of it, I sucked on a bit of gas during that but it was horrible, made the room spin and my ears buzz. I lost quite a bit of blood immediately after the birth with some large clots, I was rather light headed when I got up for the next day or so.
It was all good, I had planned on using the bath while in labour but it wasnt long enough LOL ! I will definately be going back for another baby (or 2 )
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2004 at 4:01pm
It sucks when you loose heaps of blood! - i felt fine in hospital - but by my 3rd day - which was the day after i came home, My iron stores and everything must have been so low, i just couldn't get out of bed - it was so bad that i did everything in bed for the next few days, only getting up to eat or go to the loo. I'm sure Paris must have thought that our house was only that one room!

Just like you Aimee - after having such a short easy labour, i'm almost looking forward to my next birth, whenever that may be. lol

AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 12:34pm
Jayde’s birth story, (our Christmas baby)

At 6am on the 24th of December, Alyssa our 20 month old came into our bedroom and thought it was time to get up. I told her it was too early and took her back to her bed to tuck her in. As I was tucking her in my hind waters broke.

I phoned the midwife who advised me she would be out later that afternoon to check on me and the baby. Nothing happened throughout the day, Braxton hicks but that’s it! The midwife checked the baby and I, we were fine. And she made an apt for 8-30am Christmas day so she could do a sterile internal at the hospital, just to check how things were going.

I started waking up with mild contractions at about 1am on the 25th but nothing too major. At about 2-30 am Rob woke up and I reluctantly told him that I was in labour (sigh) the timing now began, very annoying. The contractions were ranging between 8 and 5 minutes apart, but were still pretty mild, just having the odd really strong one.

Got up about 7, got my hospital stuff together, just in case the midwife thought my labour was far enough advanced for me to stay in hospital. Alyssa woke up and we opened her Santa presents with her. Mum arrived to look after Alyssa and we left for the hospital at about 8-10am.

Got to hospital and was hooked up to a machine for half an hour to check baby and monitor contractions. Everything going well, contractions about every 3-5 mins still not that strong. Midwife did speculum exam and found I was 5cm dilated, told me my forewaters were bulging and did I want them broken. As I had now resigned myself to the fact that this baby was going to be born on Christmas day I agreed so we could get things moving.

While the midwife was filling the spa bath Rob and I were walking around the ward. Started off having one contraction per round. After about half an hour or so of doing this I was having 2 contractions per round and was ready to hop in the bath.

Jumped in the bath at about 11-30 and was hooked up to IV antibiotics for half an hour because my hind waters had broken over 18 hours beforehand. Contractions are starting to get fairly painful now and starting to get a lot of back ache. After the antibiotics had finished doing their thing I thought I would get out of the bath and see if that eased my back pain. It was way more intense so I jumped back into the bath. I was now getting double whammy contractions (not fun).

12-30 I think I must have been going through transition because I was freezing and shaking, so decision was made for me to get out of bath. (At this stage my sister turned up as well). I told the midwife I was feeling a lot of pressure, so she did an internal and told me I was only 8cm (I was positive I was ready to push. She then told me to go to the toilet for a wee but I was having contractions all the time and could not go.

The back pain was really intense by this stage and I was starting to loose it, I had to really concentrate on my breathing and try and keep myself calm. The gas was given to me to try, even though I insisted I hated it. I think in the end they got the message, I didn’t swear but I think I was very firm! I asked for an epidural and got told no.

By this stage I was leaning over the head of the bed on my hands and knees and really feeling like pushing. The midwife noticed this and told me if I wanted to push I could push (FINALLY). After literally 3 pushes her head was out, she then started to wriggle (OUCH) and it felt like an eternity before the next contraction and she was out. So less than 5 mins to birth her. So she was born and 1.24pm

Now comes the really scary part. As I was facing away I couldn’t see what was happening all I heard was the midwife saying to Rob to push the yellow button and then to push the red button. I think I was screaming is my baby alright. My sister was reassuring me that she was and my midwife was really calm and still let Rob cut the cord. Apparently because it was such a quick birth Jayde was stunned she also had the cord wrapped around her neck. The other nurses got there really quick and all she needed was a few whiffs of oxygen.

I then started bleeding quite heavily and had to have an injection of stuff to try and stop the bleeding. They also inserted a line just in case I needed to be hooked up to an I.V. (It took three goes to do this and in the end the house surgeon needed to be called). (BTW the afterpains were horrible and are still happening)

By 7pm the bleeding finally slowed down and I could have a shower and be transferred to the ward. And I could start enjoying our little girl!

Jayde Mia was 9lb & 53cm at birth and has already put on 100gms (she is a guts). Her big sister absolutely loves her. And she is settling in well at home.

Latest Pictures available at www.vangelder.co.nz

Edited by Angelnz

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 2:16pm
What a drama Maria! I'm glad that everything worked out well in the end, and I hope you guys are settling in well at home. Lookinf forward to hopefully meeting Jayde when we come up in a couple of weeks!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 8:39pm
wow, what dramas.. definately one xmas you won't forget in a hurry!! good to hear that things are now going well and that big sis loves her new baby! Congrats once again.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 9:04pm
Wow Maria, Jayde has so much hair! And Alyssa has grown so much. Guess they don't stay small for long...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2005 at 11:01pm
Yeah she does, Alyssa had lots of hair too but not as thick as this. Jayde is so contented so far I can't beleive it. I hope it stays this way, so far she is coping with how much milk i have and hasn't developed colic. Whew. Looking forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks too! Im sure the girls will love causing havoc together hee hee.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2005 at 11:07am
Maya is definitely a hurricane! At least she will keep Alyssa occupied for a little while...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2005 at 8:01pm
Yeah we can let them run around in the back yard and play on the swings, slide and seesaw. Maybe send Rob out to supervise and we can sit down for a rest and a drink .

Edited by Angelnz

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2005 at 8:36pm
sounds like you two have it worked out! lol. i had alook on your site.. both your girls are so gorgeous!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2005 at 10:05pm
oh my gosh what a lot of hair... gorgeous.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2005 at 10:12am
hehe. That's what dad's are for...
Willie is looking forward to seeing Maya on Saturday when we get back to NZ, he's hardly seen her at all lately 'coz we've been away so much.
I'll ring you when we get to Whangarei.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2005 at 10:13am
Thanks

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2005 at 11:42pm
Oh well, better contribute my birth story while he boy is asleep!!
I was due on the 13th of October. the due date was really important as my husband and I both live in Japan. I came home to have baby and my husband Lewis had a ticket to Japan on the 25th of October. So on the 13th, we tried everything!!! and I mean everything to start the baby coming.....no luck. On the 14th we went to the health store and got some castor oil. Nothing. On the 15th the midwife did a sweep.....nothing. ON the 16th we went up to the hospital to be hooked up to a fetal monitor....nothing. On the 17th, I was so upset at the thought of having this baby alone, until I watched a documentary "life before birth" - about women who were pregnant with very sick babies. THey needed fetal operations. I felt a little better.
Anyway on the 25th, the midwife said to come in and she'd break my waters. My husband was due to fly out that day...but with some calls, he couldn't change his flight (Boo korean Air!!!!!) but thanks to his wonderful sister and mother, he had a brand new ticket!!
So, 8:30am we walked to the Palmy hospital and meet my midwife. She hooked us up to the monitor to see what was going on. Now, I think at this point i knocked the monitor as the babies heartbeat stopped during a contraction. oif course now everyone is worried so I spend another hour monitoring contractiobn which are about 10mins apart. My midwife was initially talking c-section, but after an hour of no problems, she decided it was probably just me being careless!!
so at 9:30, she broke my waters and told me to take a walk around the hosptial, maybe get something to eat while I wait for the labour to begin.
on the way to the elevator I had two contractions that I couldn't stand through. In the elevator i had three, and then we decided to go BACK up to the delivery suite! Lewis ran me a batjh and me, the girl concerned with body image, stripped with the door open and jumped in. After half an hour the midwife offered me some gas. I grabbed it and tried for a while. It didn't seem to help much, but made me feel funny, so we kept up with it. After an hour, she checked me and said I was 8cm dilated, and had to get out. So we got out onto the bed. My grandmother arrived. My mother was supposed to be there, but had locked herself in the safe at work!!! She had to wait until Armourguard turned up so she could get up to the hospital.
At this point the midwife offered me Pethidine. They put in a drip..which I honestly didn't feel - this from the person who threw up after a blood test - and also gave me an IV. At this point Lewis was encouraging me to eat something. We opened the lollies - which my grandmother, husband and midwife stood discussing for about ten minutes!!
About then my dad came in. he had come up to the hospital and asked for me. they sent him in. Turns out he was actually expecting me to be wheeled away and brought back with the baby. he didn't realise that i HAD been wheeled away, this was where I had been wheeled to!!
Mum finally arrived, and it was time to push. I pushed for about an hour and a half. This felt quite long as I had been led to belive the pushing takes only minutes (thanks for nothing ER!!). My midwife had told me it can take longer, but I thought she was exaggerating. Anyway, Jake was born at 1:51pm. Turns out he was facing the wrong direction, with the largest part of his head presenting (Thanks!!). So i tore a little and had four stitches. And I can honestly say I didn't feel a thing! the biggest shgock was the placenta!! That thing is huge!
I went home the next day (thank you sharingrooms with a woman and her noisy four year old!!) and have had no real problems. I'm feeling exceptionally lucky. And Jake even flew the whole way home without a peep. He slept and played quietly the whole time...what a trooper!!
Nikky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2005 at 11:52am
On the Saturday before my daughter was born, I lost my plug during the night, so on Sunday my Mum, sister, nephew and brother and I went for a walk around Western Springs and I’d been having mild contractions ever since. They weren't painful or anything, just really uncomfortable. I couldn't sit still, and couldn't get to sleep. I had an appointment with the Obstetrician on Monday because I was a week overdue. I got put on a monitor to measure the contractions, and to make sure the baby was ok and not stressed out. Everything was fine. I didn’t have a single contraction the whole time the thing was on me!   That night I started having contractions. I mean, real contractions this time. I went for 14 hours, from about 8.30 pm. They got down to about 5 minutes apart, but they were lasting for 2 minutes. Then at about 10 am, everything stopped! I was so tired, but I was still having niggly ones, so I couldn't get to sleep. Then on the Tuesday night, I started having full on contractions again. My initial thought was "Oh God, I cannot go all night again!!" but at 1 am, I went into Hospital. I was only 2 cm dilated, and they can’t do an ARM (Artificial Rupture or Membranes) until you’re in established labour (4cm dilated). So I went home and contracted and contracted. At about 12 pm, the Midwife came over to see how things were progressing. She did an exam, and I was 5 cm dilated! So we went into hospital at about 2 pm, and she broke my waters. About 1-½ hours later, after about 3 pushes, my Mum delivered my daughter onto my stomach and she was so beautiful, with dark brown hair, and big brown eyes. She weighed 2920 gms (6 Lb, 7 Oz) and measured 48 cm. She was born with her cord around her neck, but thankfully it wasn't tight!! I had one stitch and Jay didn't cry until she had her VitK shot. Today she's 5 1/2 months old, will be 6 on the 14th.
Love Nikky, Proud Mummy to Jyannah
xxxooo
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2005 at 4:46pm
For various reasons, the main ones being that I menstruated through the first half of my pregnancy, and was around 18-20 weeks when I found out I was pregnant, I had 6 different due dates. So basically, I had no idea when to expect Kiya!

My Mum made the comment that we had no photos of me pregnant, so we went outside and took some on Tuesday 27 March 2001. My contractions started at 10.30pm that evening! My wonderful Dad (I was living with my parents) sat up with me until 3.15am Wednesday morning, while we watched videos and I walked round the lounge during the contractions. My sister's cat was funny - about 30 seconds before I felt anything, she would sit up and stare hard at me. Once we figured out what that meant, it gave me enough warning to get up off the couch before the contraction started! At 3.15am the contractions were 15 minutes apart so we called my Mum and she came home from her nightshift (she's a nurse) to be with me, and Dad went to bed so he could cope with university. At 7.30am, my contractions were 10 minutes apart and we rung my midwife, Julie. She came round and examined me about 8am. To my surprise, I was 7cm dilated! At 9am my contractions were 8 minutes apart, so Julie told us to head to the hospital.

I have a hereditary, non-contagious blood disorder called von Willebrands disease. This means that I bruise and bleed easier than most people, and take longer to stop bleeding once I start. It’s not a big deal, except in case of major accident or surgery. Because of it, however, I have to have my children in a hospital where they can attend to any complications very quickly. The upshot of all of this was that once we got to the hospital and I was in the spa bath (I wanted a water birth), a nurse came round and put a lure in so they could give me a drip or blood products if necessary. Being a bit of a wuss when it comes to pain, I insisted on a local first! The contractions slowed down to 20 minutes, which Julie said is normal. So, here I was, sitting in a spa bath, eating cheese and crackers, and joking with Mum, Julie and Debbie (another midwife who had done more water births than Julie). Someone made the comment that women in labour make the same noises during the final stage as they did at conception! [:o} Really what you want your mother to hear! [:0] At 12.10pm Wednesday afternoon, the contractions were 8 minutes apart again, so Julie examined me and said I was 8cm dilated. They gave me some gas, which I didn't like as it made me feel dizzy and out of control, and Julie broke my waters with that little hook thingy. I got back in the bath and at around 12.45pm went to sleep! I kid you not! Remember, I had been up all night! I was on all fours in the bath with my head on my Mum's hands while she leant over the edge of the bath. I told everyone to wake me when it was all over. Mum said they just ignored me, because they knew I was going through the transition stage. I slept for about 20 minutes, just waking up for the contractions which were about 5 minutes apart at this stage.

When I woke up properly it was just after 1pm and I really wanted to push, but Julie said I wasn't ready. My contractions were 2-3 minutes apart, and by the time I'd finished arguing with Julie as to whether or not I was ready to push, it was time to. I pushed for about 45 minutes, then Kiya's head came out with one push. Debbie told everyone not to touch her, as her head was underwater and she wouldn't start breathing until she had that first touch. Mum and Julie wanted me to keep pushing, but I needed to catch my breath first. After a minute, I pushed Kiya's body out in one go. Mum caught her, and flipped her onto my tummy. Mum cut the cord.

Kiya was born at 2.02pm Wednesday 28 March 2001, weighing 3540g (7 lb 13), after a drug-free water birth. Based on how Kiya looked, Julie said she was probably 2 weeks early. I tore a little, only surface tears though, and had 4 stitches (with a local). The von Willebrands was never an issue, except trying to keep the hand with the lure in it out of the water!
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
kobe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 12:35pm
I had a normal pregnancy but was really big. My midwife said that was normal, I was measuring alright etc. At 34 weeks I remember saying to my friend I feel all achy like Ive got my period but I had just unloaded 2 trailer loads of dirt so I thought that was why. The next day I had a little bit of bleeding and because Im resus negative (however you spell it) I went into hospital for anti D injection. When the registrar saw me she said something was not right becuase I was to big and had tested me for diabetes which was positive(something my midwife had not done around 20 something weeks as is normally the case) She also did an exam and discovered that my waters had broken and I was 3cm dialated already. I had no idea my waters had broken so that was a huge shock. They did a scan to see what size baby was (7lb 4oz they thought) and the sonographer picked up that he had a cleft lip and possibly pallate. They did more scans and there was lots of waiting, it was awful. This all happened within about 2 hours so I was a bit of a mess really. I was admitted and told I could not go home until baby arrives which thankfully was 4 days later when my hind waters broke. The labour staff said it would take ages but my first stage only took about an hour. It was funny cos the lady in the bed beside me had been in labour all day and I remember saying to hubby "man I dont want to have to listen to her all night" and half an hour later my waters broke. I tried the gas which didnt do anything expect give me something to concentrate on so in the end I had an epidural mainly because babies heart rate kept dropping when I had a contraction and the surgery was full incase I had to have an emergency c section so I had to wait for hours before I could push. After 9 hours of labour baby finally arrived but had really really low sugar levels and was taken straight to NICU so I only got to look at him for a minute. He was 7lb 2oz which probably helped him in the end because we got to take him home only 6 days later. His cleft was only minor and no palate damage thank god and he has since had this fixed. I was really anxious about the labour but in the end I really enjoyed it (after I took the drugs that is)
Robyn & Kobe
www.babiesonline.com/babies/s/stackyjunior
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2005 at 12:43pm
Great story Robyn. hey I went to Kobe's webpage. What a sweety!!! Reading your story i feel sorry for the woman next to you. Can you imagine - someone new comes in, you've been in labour all day - waiting for the signs to push, and the newby reaches that stage beofer you...I'd be a little annoyed!!!!   Reminds me of Friends! Hehe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 39>