FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBirth Stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 39>
Author
lenabeanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabeanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2005 at 7:10pm
Yeah - on my birth plan I had "natural labour and birth - gas ONLY if nessescary, aromatherepy oils, water birth etc etc - ALL went out the window - was in the water for 30 mins when I first started having the pains in the morning and couldn't walk so stayed in the room / on the bed all day!! All worth it I think though.. But I am more educated for next time round *hint hint*
Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2005 at 8:51pm
i really was worried that there was no TV. I thought i could watch something while being in labour....hmmmm
lenabeanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabeanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2005 at 9:53pm
Yeah I'm hearing you - I didn't even get to go to the lounge in the post natal ward!! Had too many problems!!

I don't know why I am so negative about it - I know if it was the same for every birth I would easily do it again!! No hesitation... I guess you only usually talk about the bad stuff
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2005 at 10:29pm
Well I thought I'd finally contribute my birth story after all this time. Now the bad memories have faded!

Also, while I say 'overdue' I have no idea how over she was, may have even been on time (at 9 pounds 6 ounces?!?! ahhh!) seeing as I found out that she wasn't concieved when I thought she was (or with who I thought she was ).

On Thursday night, 8 days over my due date, I finally handed in all my uni work after sitting at the computer for a week or so with killer back pains (YAY for Hannah hanging around). The next day I had a check up with my midwife who did an internal and found that I was 3cms dilated and then did a sweep. Stupid me got all excited and was gently let down by midwife and Mum that it still might take a while to go into labour.

On Saturday, Mum dragged me round all day shopping which almost killed me. My back was hurting like hell. Which I hoped was a sign of labour, although that didn't mean it was welcome! The day passed without event and I was getting a bit disheartened thinking Hannah would never come - or atleast until the induction which was booked for the Wednesday. Then at 1.30am I woke up and went to the toilet, as soon as I stood up I felt water running down my legs. I was a bit horrified at that but then realised that it was my waters breaking. Luckily still above the toilet so just plonked back down. When I went to the bathroom to wash my hands I had a contaction. Which wasn't too strong, but I wanted it to be so I kinda pretended to have to breathe through it just to look like they do in the movies. (Ah boy did I have a nasty shock when they actually started hurting!!) Waters kept leaking out everywhere which wasn't so flattering but stopped after a while and by the the contactions were around 3 minutes apart (although I may have been a bit on the optimistic side).

My midwife, Carolyn, was at her bach an hours drive away (shows how concerned she was about me going into labour! hehe) so I called her and told her to get on her way. We left for the hospital (just have to consult birth record) at about 2am. I think the contractions must have slowed because they didn't seem to concerned about me once I got there, I think they were around 5 minutes apart. Waited around for a couple of hours. Wanted to go to the toilet but they wouldn't let me. I think it was because I was embarrassed that maybe the baby would end up pushing out "stuff" when she came out. (Little fear of mine... have no idea what happened... just don't want to know... ignorance is bliss!)

Carolyn checked dilation and broke my waters proper. Apparently my hind waters had broken earlier. After a few hours I had pethidine, which was fine for a while but as the contactions got more painful I wanted more drugs. Managed to finally convince Caroline to give me another dose but after that she wouldn't let me have any more. They gave me gas as well which didn't do bugger all unless you sucked on it as soon as you felt the onset of a contaction and my midwife was giving me crap about starting too early. hehe.

After 6 hours of labour my midwife said that I was fully dilated and I could start pushing. I think this is where I went wrong. I didn't listen to my body enough and was too anxious to get the birth over and done with so tried to force myself to push when the urge hadn't yet come. For ages they were trying to get me to push but it wasn't having any effect. Carolyn was trying to be really encouraging and in my eyes could do no wrong but as soon as my Mum piped up I swear I wanted to throw her across the room. Lucky for her I was able to restrain myself.

So still pushing (or refusing to push and trying to stop the birthing process) and Hannah's heart rate started dropping. My midwife called an obstetrician incase we needed help but after Carolyn threatened me to start putting some effort in, I think I finally started paying attention to the contractions etc. As the obstetrician walked in my little girl finally came out.

I don't really remember much as a result of being drugged up, but found out later that the cord was around her neck and that was probably the reason behind the dropping heart rate. It wasn't tight and was easily lifted over. In that respect I kinda regret the drugs. They were great for the pain but didn't allow me to focus on what my body wanted to do. So I feel a bit disappointed with my efforts in the birth but know that next time I'll know a bit more about it and will be able to pay attention.

So... Hannah arrived at 9.25am after one hour of pushing weighing 9lbs 6oz. Luckily no tears or significant grazing!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2005 at 10:35pm
oops... that's one looooong birth story! sorry!
lenabeanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lenabeanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 8:43am
You get carried away telling your "stories" ay!! All good Nikki!! I'm a sucker for birth stories for some reason!!

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 10:40am
I tried this once before, but for some reason it didn't quite work... so here's Josiah's birth story.

As most of you know, I had irritable uterus, where I had useless, irregular contractions for 3 weeks before he was born. It was driving Nathaniel and me nuts! My cervix was slowly (really slowly!) thinning, but other than that the contractions were not doing a damn thing. Actually, it ended up taking 3 weeks for my cervix to thin by half.

On Tuesday 3rd May, I had my regular weekly midwife appointment. I asked Gaenor to do an internal exam, and she said my cervix had finally thinned enough and I was dilated 2cm, although it is normal for 2nd/whatever times around mums to be dilated 1cm for most of their pregnancy and I was no exception. Gaenor separated the layers of the cervix to try and bring on labour... it worked! 30 minutes later I was hit with the first painful contraction. It winded me a bit - with Kiya, none of my contractions hurt!

My contractions continued through the night, getting closer together. At 2.25am, I was kneeling on our bed breathing through a contraction, which were 8 minutes apart by then, when I either heard or felt (I'm not sure which!) a "pop" then felt something thud into my pelvis. I grabbed a towel and made it to the toilet just as my waters broke. After that, my contractions got closer and closer together until at 5am they were 5 minutes apart. At that stage, I rung my midwife. Gaenor lived in Raglan, so it was going to take her 40 minutes to get to the hospital. I arranged to meet her there at 6, then Nathaniel rung the people who were going to look after Kiya. Anna came round and crawled into our bed, I told Kiya (who'd been woken by us getting excited) what was going on, and at 5.50am we left for Waikato Hospital.

We got to the hospital at 6am on the dot. I had my first urge to push on the way, and Nathaniel was driving as fast as he felt he could! Gaenor walked in the door a couple of minutes after us, and took us to a delivery room. Nathaniel helped me change into one of those hideous hospital gowns, and I got up on the bed. Gaenor strapped all sorts of monitors onto me, and for 25 minutes I lay there breathing through contractions every 3 minutes and feeling very uncomfortable.

Finally, at 6.30am, and 8cm dilated, I was allowed to get off the bed and get into the spa bath, where I wanted to push almost straight away. I fought the urges until Gaenor got back, as she'd gone to get a delivery kit (with the cord clamp and other such stuff). As soon as she was back, she checked and said I was fully dilated and I could start pushing. When Josiah's head came out, the cord was loosely around his neck, but Gaenor told me to not push straight away (boy, was that hard to do!) and she got her finger in and unhooked it quickly.

At 6.58am, Wednesday 4th May 2005 (his due date), Josiah Phillip was born. He weighed 7 pound (3.18kg) exactly, and his Daddy cut the cord. We walked out of the hospital at 9.30am to go to Waterford Birthing Centre, where I stayed for a couple of days.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
crazy_crazy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy_crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 2:13pm
lala
k&jsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k&jsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 3:45pm
well i am gutted i typed up my birth story and went to piost but was logged out!!!!! I knew i should have copied it while i was typing. Oh well another day when i feel so inclined to type it up i will sharemy story too
Marlene
Keegan ~ 14 October 2003
Jaidyn ~ 14 October 2003

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 9:14pm
hhhm cannot remembwer if i wrote ayjas... might have to go back and look
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 9:15pm
what the?! why the hell is there a w in remember? who am i? elmer fudd?

AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2005 at 9:43pm
hee hee. I read it Janine didnt notice the W until you pointed it out.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 7:25am
lol Becca,Harmony was born at 659am!! funny
BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
AnnaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 10:08am
Hey Nikki.. Don't regret the drugs 'cause they made you fuzzy on the details, I had no drugs and still can't remember what happened!!

Anna and Quinn 10 July 2004
www.quinnariki.blogspot.com
and one more on the way....

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 11:21am
I had some drugs (gas and pethidine), and can't remember clearly either...obviously otherwise I wouldn't be doing it so soon again!!!!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 11:39am
AHHHH, lol so Lizzle, you've reached that stage where you are thinking "WHAT AM I DOING??!! I'M GOING TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN!" don't worry you'll think it again once you go in to labour too

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 12:53pm
actually not too concerned about labour....its the aftermath that really worries me!
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 5:23pm
OK - Scariness - My friend (well my brothers future sil and my friend ) is 1 week overdue and went in for a scan to check if bubs is ok yesterday as not engaged yet etc..... Doc estimated baby is over 11lb aaargh poor girl

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 6:13pm
woah!!!!! B2 is 4 pounds so far...well, was a few weeks ago and I will continue to have that figure firmly planted in my head.
AnnaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2005 at 7:09pm
That is one BIG bubba... SCARY!!

Anna and Quinn 10 July 2004
www.quinnariki.blogspot.com
and one more on the way....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 39>