FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedthe day of your D & C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Huggles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the day of your D & C
    Posted: 26 February 2008 at 3:49pm
Hi all you lovlies...I thought I would just tell you how I am feeling.........
This is my first post after lurking around... I had a missed miscarriage. The hardest thing for me was that we found out that our dear bubs had no heart beat at the 12 week scan. This was the hardest news to hear as we had lost our baby after 8 weeks but my body never told me.. Just had my D&C today at North Shore hospital and they were so nice and advised everything that they were going to do. It was pretty nerve racking as I had never had to go under general anethestic before. Things were racing through my head. The great thing was waking up after the operation and not feeling a thing of what they had done. Now that stuff that they give you is pretty "good" stuff.
Heres to a great recovery.! I am having today and tomorrow off and see how I am on Thursday if I go back to work. I am interested as to how long did you take off work if you had a d&C?
xx
Sponsored Links

Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 4:02pm
Just wanted to give you big hugs and to let you know that i have been there.

have pm'd you

Huggles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 4:09pm
Thanks Kazzle for your support...
xxxxx
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 4:43pm
nzbanana is that you from NZWP??

Big hugs to you xoxo
Huggles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 6:36pm
Sure is babe.... hows your little one???
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 9:09pm
Lauren is great thanks, man I love her to bits! How was your wedding? Can I sneak a peak of some pics, pretty please?

Sorry to hear of your d&c, big big hugs to you xo
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 9:36pm
I was on holiday when I had my last d and c (it was 2 Jan so everyone was on holiday!) so I wasn't at work, but I would probably have taken a week or so off. Not so much for the physical side of things coz I was fine the next day, but coz I was a weepy, emotional mess for a good few days afterwards so needed time to collect myself and work thru some things.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 10:59pm
Big to you nzbanana. That is almost exactly what happened to me with my last miscarriage. Lost the baby at 7 weeks but didn't find out till the scan.

I have to say that I also found NSH fantastic. They were so nice and made the whole experience a little less terrifying

I had around a week off after mine. Physically I was well enough to return to work about 3 days after, but emotionally it was a real rollercoaster I found I just couldn't bare to go back to work that soon.

I would recommend just seeing how you go and make a decision from there, don't push yourself though. Remember it may be a common procedure, but you have still just undergone surgery

And remember we are all here if you need people to talk to about it

Edited by Mum2Sam

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 11:44pm
Nzbanana i am so sorry for your loss, it sucks it really does, for us we didn't know til the scan too and i was made very hard knowing by the dates etc and how perfectly baby looked that the heart had probably only stopped maybe a day or so before-hand.

To be honest, I took a long time off work beforehand because i work in a neonatal unit and didn't really want to be around babies when i knew that mine was inside me and not alive any more.

from the first scan, i waited till the next one a week later to make sure they hadn't just missed it, then 2 more weeks waiting for D&C due to hospital service strikes, in all i took about a month, I went back far too early though, had D&C on the monday, went back to work on the saturday afternoon and spent the whole night back and forth cos they'd left bits in there and i was passing huge clots etc.

I think alot depends on your line of work and how strenuous/stresful it is, and also i found for me returning yeah my body wasn't quite healed, but emotionally it was raw too - and surprisingly not as much from working with babies as i thought it would be. it was more from people giving you that knowing look, I swear i just wanted it to have never happened so they wouldn't give me that "i'm so sorry look". argh i hated ithat the most.

give yourself time and see how you go because certainly for me, the 1st day after waking up, ( i had never had a General before that either) i felt hazy and numbish and kinda ok, it was the next 2 days when the pain kinda came through and i had to put up with bleeding etc that all of a sudden I realised what i was dealing with and what had happened and it hits hard.

Hugest huge hugs to you, take a few days to recover like the others have said, make it a looong weekend.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2008 at 8:52am
hi..sorry to hear your news..the exact same thing happened to me... 8 weeks found out at 12 week scan.. i found out on feb 9th 07 and rang my boss and told her i wasnt coming in..it was a friday.. and couldnt get the DandC till the Tuesday ....i rang and said i was having the whole week off....(and i work with children ) we wont go into what was said but it was suggested maybe working would take my mind off it..ummm nope...so anyway i had the whole week off... and really when i went back to work..esp as a new baby started that day it lead to a few months of issues for me ..though i never talked about them and eventually lost it at home one day then spoke to DH about it before feeling better...and we were allowed to try again 4 months later(they thought i may have had molar pregnancy) and then got pregnant first go and had Ethan a year after the DandC.

just know we know how you feel and are here to talk if you need us!
Mum to two amazing boys!
emachan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2008 at 5:01pm
*hugs* nzbanana,
Like the others who have posted, I had a missed m/c last April and found out at my 12w scan.
I started spotting on the Monday before my Thursday scan and had a bit of time to prepare myself for the worst news possible, so when I saw the ultrasound with the little baby just still it wasn't as big a shock as what you have had.

I had my D&C the next day and didn't return to work until the Wednesday of the next week as I had extremely sore cramps up until then, just off and on. All up I had from the Tues before my scan off until the Weds - so a whole week. It was hard for me going back to work as everyone kept asking how was I (they didn't know I had a m/c)so they just thought I'd been sick.
I thought I'd be able to get preg straightaway, but took me another 9 months which were so difficult.

Tomorrow I have an early scan for my pregnancy - I am so scared of seeing another 'still' baby on the screen. But with the support of everyone on this site, it makes things a lot easier.

PM me, if you need to!

emma

DD#1 Sept 08
DD#2 Oct 09
Huggles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2008 at 7:38pm
thanks so much for all your support.... I will see how I go as I feel remarkedly normal today. Will go to work for 1/2 day and see how that takes me....will let you know how i et on.
louie74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louie74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 7:40pm
HI everyone I posted How to cope topic before I saw this.
I too had a miscarriage at 8 weeks and work in the health field surrounded by children and babies. I only found out last week and still really hard to cope with as I am also on the emotional rollercoaster IVF. My DH is finding it easier but I actually think that he is trying to show me he strong emotionally to support me but I know he is hurting too.
I requested a D+C following conversation at Fertility Plus but was told to let it come naturally. But finding it really hard as I have had yet to have any bleeding
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 8:12pm
louie hugs to you....just bear in mind it can take a long time.it was 5 weeks after mine when i had dandc and i had had no bleeding or anything..they said it wasnt going to happen anytime soon either:(
Mum to two amazing boys!
Huggles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 8:13pm
Hi Louie74
I was told the sae thing as I had no bleeding either. I told them that I would wait 1 week not the 2 weeks that they wanted me to wait to see if it would come naturally. hence it never happened and I basically told them that I was "over it" and wanted to have a D and C.
 Post Reply Post Reply