FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuick meal solutions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick meal solutions
    Posted: 29 February 2008 at 9:07pm
What are your quick and easy dinners that you do when you get to the end of the day and realise that you haven't even thought about dinner, or when you've forgotten to take the meat out of the freezer, or when the kids are losing the plot?
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

ItchyFeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ItchyFeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 9:22pm
Mousetraps. Spaghetti and cheese on toast placed under the grill, or chopped onion and cheese on toast grilled as well. Nothing wrong with cereal, fruit and yoghurt either. Filled pasta like tortellini can be cooked from frozen in less than 10 minutes, and we toss it into a tomato-based soup which we heat in the microwave. We find a chunky soup more filling than a pasta sauce and there was a delicious soup mix last winter that I haven't found since - the tomato and capsicum one.
Jacket baked potato in the microwave, with Watties Chilli beans from a can, topped with sour cream or cheese.
Ingrams chicken breasts (they are expensive though) in a steamlock bag with lots of frozen veges takes about 6 minutes to cook. The moisture from the veges keeps the chicken moist and the marinade on the chicken flavours the veges. Or just cubed potatoes and veges with a knob of butter in a steamlock bag with cracked pepper after cooking.
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 9:26pm
Mcdonalds. Sometimes chinese, but it takes longer.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 10:07pm
No kids to contend with but after a bad day at work - tuna pasta bake. Cook pasta, put in a casserole dish with a tin of tuna, frozen mixed veges and a tin of pasta sauce. Put some grated cheese on top and chuck in the oven
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 10:12pm

toastie sammies or spag on toast or 2min noodles or breakfast cereal....my list could go on forever lol This is what happens when in your previous life (last job) you were getting home till near on 7pm with 2 hungry, whinging girls and too tired to cook

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 10:17pm
Macaroni cheese - we're both here at dinner prep time usually so one of us has the girls and the other deals to the kitchen! But mac cheese bails us out when we forget to thaw the meat.
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 10:22pm
Every Friday night is one of those nights and we have home made takeaways - microwave Big Ben meat pies/toasted sandwhiches/frozen pizza or fish pieces and oven fries.
Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 10:39pm
Nacho's, Fritatta or pasta.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 10:52pm

tomatos on toast is a family favourite for friday night dinners

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2008 at 8:14am
if nothing out of the freezer it is frozen nuggets and chippies - or pasta and cheese (the kids fave).

If it is cause i cant be bothered then it is mince and noodles and all the boys - hubby included - loves that one. I dont like it much tho cause i'm not a noodle fan.

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2008 at 10:48am
We always have fresh pasta in the fridge and a pot of pesto. Thats our standard quick n easy dinner - takes 7mins to cook.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2008 at 11:38am
We do breakfast tea when we feel lazy. Couple of hash browns in the toaster or under the grill, poach or fry some eggs and tomato and DH just shoves in a bit of bacon or sausages. Takes all of about 10-15mins.
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2008 at 1:06pm
Well Elle won't eat anything we eat other than meatballs so for her it's a jar of organics stuff. At least I know she'll eat it!

For us, I always keep pitas in the fridge and can easily thaw them and stuff 'em with meat / salad etc to make round kebab type things. Can add mayo or make yoghurt, lemon and garlic sauce and cajun seasoning. We toast them in the toasted sandwhich machine.

Or, stirfry veges with soya sauce, honey, garlic etc and serve with rice or ultra quick vermicelli. If you've got left over meat chuck that in.

Or spag bol

I tend to keep cooked savory mince in the freezer too so we can have that with potatos or I can add it to Elle's food.

Oh yeah, one other thing kids and men like is to slice potoatoes really thin (I don't even peel them),chuck them into a bag with some oil and seasoning...shake, shake, shake then pop them on the tray to FAN bake at 200 or so for about 20mins. Because they are thin they cook quickly and are easy for kids to eat.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 7:48am
Originally posted by FionaS FionaS wrote:

Or, stirfry veges with soya sauce, honey, garlic etc and serve with rice or ultra quick vermicelli. If you've got left over meat chuck that in.

Or spag bol

Gosh Fiona, that is regular dinners for us.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 10:50am

Cooked pasta add a can of flavoured tuna, a can of flavoured tomatoes and some frozen corn and a little bit of grated cheese. Heat and mix then serve.

Edited by mummy_becks
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 11:17am

Fiona I must try those seasoned potatos they sound YUM!

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 3:37pm
No kids yet but for DH and I - spag carbonara (with the eggs cooked) or pasta with tomato/olive sauce. Both done in under 15 min.
Mum to two wee boys
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2008 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by jaz jaz wrote:

Originally posted by FionaS FionaS wrote:

Or spag bol

Gosh Fiona, that is regular dinners for us.

Yeah same but it is also quick so it can be regular or quick :)
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
The_Stuarts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Stuarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

What are your quick and easy dinners that you do when you get to the end of the day and realise that you haven't even thought about dinner, or when you've forgotten to take the meat out of the freezer..

That sounds like me every weeknight. My regulars are:

* eggs and soldiers (soft boiled eggs with toast cut into strips for dunking)
* cheese on toast
* frittata (sauteed veges with omelette mix poured over and cooked)
* risotto - this is so easy I lived on it when I was pregnant and I always make enough for lunch the next day I've added the recipe below.
* crunchy potatos (potatos diced, tossed with oil and roasted. Because they're diced so small they only take about 20 mins and Michaela loves them)

I always have lots of veges on hand too (frozen or fresh) and we usually have a side plate piled high with them.

Rice risotto:
Heat 2T (approx) oil in a pan, add diced onions and cook until clear (I also usually add chopped bacon at this stage, can also add garlic and/or spinach). Add 1c of arborio rice and cook until rice appears translucent around the outside. Add enough stock to cover bottom of pan and put lid on (I also add frozen peas or grated carrots or pumpkin now). Reduce heat and gradually simmer adding stock whenever the mix becomes dry (I use about 2.5 cups of stock).
This is so easy. Once you add the lid you can just walk away and leave it checking every now and then to stir in stock. It takes about 25 mins to cook.

Edited by The_Stuarts
 Post Reply Post Reply