FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreakfast?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breakfast?
    Posted: 11 March 2008 at 10:48am
OK so my five year old is going to school every day without having eaten breakfast It's not coz we're too poor to feed her lol, just that she refuses to eat anything. If I do manage to convince her to have something it's plain white toast with margarine and the crusts cut off so basically no nutritional value.

I've tried letting her choose different cereals in the supermarket but all that resulted from that is a cupboard full of half eaten Coco Pops, Cheerios and cornflakes packets, and I've tried making her eat fruit but she won't.

Any ideas for quick and easy breakfasts that she might eat? The gremlins usually have a banana and a piece of toast with marmite.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 11:07am
Will she eat at playtime? If so maybe put heaps of nutritionally charged food in for that.

How bout a banana smoothie? You could add yoghurt and even rolled oats to it to make it healthier still.

As a last resort would those liquid breakfast "on the go" type ones be better than nothing? She might think you are just giving her flavoured milk?

I'm not looking forward to these "challenges"
Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 11:07am
Maybe a really bad thought....and you can shoot me later
Our house always has up & go.....I do not know what age they are from sorry. Maybe check that out?
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 11:11am
Up and go....thats what I was trying to say!
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 11:28am
My Mum and Dad used to make me cheese toasties because I was a terrible eater. They'd make them with marmite and cheese in a batch and keep them in an airtight container, and then I could have them cold either for brekkie or morning tea. I know cheese is expensive, but if you grate it, it goes a lot further than if you slice it, and, because she'll be eating them cold you don't actually want too thick a layer of cheese. Kind of like a cheesy mite scroll from Bakers Delight, but toast
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 11:28am
Smoothies sound like a good idea. You could involve her by getting her to think of things to add, and getting her to get them out etc while your feeding the gremlins!

Mouse traps?

Breakfast muffins- make some vege muffins or bran and banana or , dates and carrot, or similar- sweetened with fruit like dates instead of lots of sugar,..that u can freeze and she could eat with a smoothie on the way to school even?
The_Stuarts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Stuarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 11:58am
I was about to suggest smoothies too, that's what we have as neither DH or I are early breakfast people. You can add complan or vitaplan for extra nutrients or just use up&go or calcitrims for ease.
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 5:49pm

Smoothies are a winner is this house. Its all I can get my girls to have for breakfast. They both make their own adding whatever each one wants.  They even have them in winter. Hopefully MAya will enjoy the smoothies

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 5:57pm
Grilled cheese on toast? Smoothie?
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 6:42pm
If she doesn't like the smoothie idea, how about a milkshake of some description? Even a glass of milk with a spoonful of quik in it would be better than nothing at all

mylilmosaic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylilmosaic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 6:59pm
Nutragrain are great as snacks as well as breakfast cereal. My son's nana introduced them to him and he loves it still to this day.
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 8:07pm

Originally posted by Mum2Sam Mum2Sam wrote:

If she doesn't like the smoothie idea, how about a milkshake of some description? Even a glass of milk with a spoonful of quik in it would be better than nothing at all

Thats exactly how my kids smoothies started then they started wanting I had and now they just add whatever is in the house lol

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by jaxs jaxs wrote:

Nutragrain are great as snacks as well as breakfast cereal. My son's nana introduced them to him and he loves it still to this day.

Isla likes snacking on cherios or dry fuity bix She usually has a few in a little container while I make her breakfast!
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 9:24pm

Yoghurt??? Andrew has a Dairy food yoghurt every morning for breakfast.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 9:30pm
Emma; Nyah is the same. I can just manage to get her to have lemon honey on toast, or I make a deal with her that we eat an apple on our way to school. 8/10 she'll go for that idea. The other thing is the strawberry chewy bars. She'll eat one of those as we walk out the door.

You might have to put something extra in her lunch box.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 9:37pm
crumpets?
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 9:40pm
Those breakfast muffin things, or fruit toast! Mmmmm!
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 4:42am
Urgh Charlottes exactly the same too!

I have found Crumpets and bagels go down ok for a change- and a fail proof one is pancakes! Not exactly nutritious but at least its something.

We also have a deal that if she eats a decent amount then she gets a Hot Chocolate.

Someone needs to invent a machine that yells out 'Eat your breakfast' in increasing frequency and volume over 30 minutes to be played each morning- would save me alot of grief!
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 7:53am
Nutella sandwich??

Ethan loves his "Chocolate" sandwich that he has every morning
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
The_Stuarts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Stuarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 7:55am
How about a cup of milk (hot or cold) with horleys or ovaltine. Little cereal snack boxes, muesli bars or fruit is also a great idea for the trip to school.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>