FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRice risotto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The_Stuarts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Stuarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rice risotto
    Posted: 18 March 2008 at 8:41am
This is such an easy recipe. I’ve written it as I usually make it but it can be changed to suit your own taste and whatever you have in the pantry. i.e. you can leave out the bacon, add in garlic with the onion, use any flavoured stock, soup, cream or water (you could even try adding a bit of wine to jazz up the recipe), and add whatever veges you have on hand. It’s also nice if you add cooked shredded chicken breast at the end.

As long as you have Arborio rice, stock and an onion you can make rice risotto. It’s quick, easy and cheap and can be a side dish or a main dish.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp oil
1 onion (diced)
4 rashers bacon
2 cup Arborio rice
4 ˝ cups of hot chicken stock (you may need more than this)
1-2 cups fresh or frozen veges (I usually add 1 cup frozen peas, it’s also nice with grated carrots or pumpkin, chopped zucchini or spinach)

Method:
Cook the onion in the oil in a large heavy based frypan until clear.

Add the Arborio rice and cook for a couple of minutes (stirring regular) until the rice becomes translucent around the edges.

Reduce the heat to low and add just enough liquid to the pan to cover the rice. Stir until absorbed. Add veges and another lot of liquid (enough to cover again), stir and put lid on pan. As each lot of liquid is absorbed add more, stir and replace lid.

It usually takes 25-30 mins to cook completely.

Once cooked serve as is or with cheese on top (mmm).
Sponsored Links

meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 12:14pm
Thanks! Gonna make it next week
Where do you buy your arborio rice from though, I can never find it.

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 12:19pm
I just get mine from woolworths. It's the sunrice brand in a green packet. I've also seen it at new world and moore wilsons.
mountaingoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mountaingoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 6:55am
Aaaaaaaaaaah! Speak of the devil. I've made 2 risottos in the past week.

The first one was similar to yours, Mrs Mojo - it had a base flavour of chicken stock and then stirred in bacon, mushrooms, broccoli and halved black olives. Oh and a tiny bit of sharp cheddar.

The second one also had chicken stock and then stirred in diced chicken, spinach, and mushrooms. + a bit of sharp cheddar.

I am currently looking to make a 3rd using shrimps/prawns, mushrooms, spinach and parmesan cheese. I might even invest in some white cooking wine 'cos a lot of the recipes I've looked at use this.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 8:56pm
mmm. I love risotto. It's so yummy and easy and versatile. Let me know how your shrimp one goes.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 9:27pm
tip for lazy risotto makersa - use less water/stock, and use risoni or orzo instead. it's a rice shaped pasta and makes great risottos - if a little less authentic
 Post Reply Post Reply