FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula and spilling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula and spilling
    Posted: 24 March 2008 at 9:20am
Tom spills...lots when he has formula. So much so that I am regretting my decision to give him formula through the day. He will spill for an hour or two afterwards. He is completely unphased by it...a happy chucker???

We use the s26 milk as thats the one everyone seems to recommend but should we try something else? Our carpet is a mess and I worry about taking him out to other peoples houses if he is going to need a bottle.

He gets booby first thing and then bottle all day.

Any tips, would changing formula help or is he likely to continue...is it because he spendsall day crawling around
Sponsored Links

3boys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 9:25am
Hey NZPiper.

He might be spilling because the formula takes longer to digest and so has more time to come back up.

Just curious but why did you opt to give formula in the day?

I would say he would keep spilling until he starts walking. Can you put him back on the boob in the day?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 9:28am
He started to reject the boob during the day and I had gotten to the point I was needing to feed him constantly through the day and the night to keep up with his demand. I was exhausted and hadnt been well.

Beleive me I have thought about going back to boobas I lke BF but I cant imagine how hard it would be and with being recently PG I thought it wasnt wise to ask too much of my body.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 9:32am
I would try a different brand and see if it makes a difference. I know what the chucking is like, its awful, luckily Spencer out grew his before he could move to far so I use to take blankets to other peoples houses for him to puke on. Would be awful now though cos there is no way he would stay on a blanket.

MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 10:43am
Yeah i would try a different brand too. When i tried Kylah on Nurture she was REALLY spilly, now shes fine on karicare.
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 10:54am
Hi NZPiper
I have found the same thing since putting Thomas on formula , heaps more spilling. Its only a little bit but he never did it on breast milk. He is on Heinz Nurture, he wont drink anything else so am probably stuck with it. I am hoping it gets better as he gets used to digesting the formula. Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 11:00am
Must be a Thomas thing Simone.

I have a couple of karicare sachets so I might try those and see.

Its really embarassing as I need to keep a bib on him constantly and use a flat nappy spread out as well, and I really panic when people want to cuddle him as he is likely to upcuck at just the "right" moment.
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 11:05am
hehe, great name!
oh let me know how you go on the karicare, maybe it will improve

I know what you mean, I have gone back to carrying nappy with me too. All the movement isnt helping matters either. He is absolutely hyper this morning

Edited by SimoneF
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 11:18am
my boy is a lot younger but he used to chuck more on breast milk(till not that often) we use Karicare gold.
Mum to two amazing boys!
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 11:30am
I recommend the Heinz too, Cooper didn't enjoy S26 at all. He loves his Heinz Nuture. I don't use Karicare because it gave the older two constipation and they were never happy on it.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 11:34am
hmm i will have to watch him but we tried the sachets first..so far so good..
Mum to two amazing boys!
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 11:47am
I used S26 (in hosp from birth) and my wee boy was really spilly but switched to Karicare (not gold) and have had no probs with it.

Good luck! I know the fear of taking him out or people cuddling him. He spewed on sooo many people!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Peanut Peanut wrote:

Good luck! I know the fear of taking him out or people cuddling him. He spewed on sooo many people!

sometimes thats not a bad thing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 12:48pm
Its Heinz that we have in the cupboard not karicare so we are trying that now. fingers crossed
DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 2:00pm
A friend of mine found this when she switched to formula and changing brands helped her. I think she changed to something specially designed for spilly babies after her plunket nurse told her that her DD was puking too much.

Good luck
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 9:15am
A friend switched to goats milk formula with the chuckines - turned out the protein difference was waht was needed and the goats milk one stopped any chucking problems.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 9:44am
Tried Heinz one and seems better. Still a little chucky (but then he spilt with booby this morning) but heaps better. Have got some more sachets to try before forking out for a tin
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 3:35pm
Hey NZPiper thats great to hear!
3boys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 7:02pm
Sorry NZPiper - didn't realise you were pg - i hope it gets better ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply