FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLetting someone else choose a name

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Letting someone else choose a name
    Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:01pm
Ok so I have been thinking about this a bit lately as all my Dh and his bro's and sis were named by someone other then their parent's. Now we have done the samething with our girl as DH and I could not agree on any name. We did not just ask anyone we asked my best friend who I have known scince I was 11. We have had mixed comment's about this and was wondering if anyone else would do this or are we just totally weird??
Oh and by the way she chose one which we would have never thought of and we both love it. just incase you are wondering the name is Emily we chose the middle name as its is MIL middle name.

Edited by loadsofkids
Deborah Mum to:

Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:05pm
Nothing wierd about that, although I dont know anyone thats done it.
Plenty of people use family names, or are expected to, and I know that name chosing in diff cultures is done by other family members.
Great name BTW!
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:07pm
Emma!! if you get a min can you please correct my spelling on my topic blame babybrain
Deborah Mum to:

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:17pm
LOL, can do!

We let Maya pick a middle name, she picked Chloe. I could actually live with Chloe as a first name but Willie isn't so keen and we had already picked Chiara.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:23pm
Thankyou Emma you are a
Deborah Mum to:

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:29pm
It's not something Id personally do but to each their own. Nice name though
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:38pm
My grandparents named me, I was a whangai baby so that was a little different I gues..
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:55pm

What a lovely name Debs. I think that is a great name and I dont see anything wrong with that.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 8:56pm

Originally posted by .Mel .Mel wrote:

My grandparents named me, I was a whangai baby so that was a little different I gues..

Your grandparents have great taste. I love the name Melissa for a little girl!

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 9:56pm
My friend is Tongan and they followed the Tongan tradition that it's the baby's aunty (it's dad's eldest sister) who names the child. Thankfully she chose a name that my friend liked!

Love the name Emily by the way!
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Snickerdoodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snickerdoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 10:01pm
Emily was my second choice to Hannah - if she didn't look like a Hannah

I think it's a lovely idea, getting someone you love and trust to choose the name.
Little bit risky if you hate the name and you don't wanna hurt their feelings....

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2008 at 10:02pm
Like the name, very pretty. I just couldn't let someone else name my baby though! I almost died when soemone else named my car, lol, and insisted n callig it this name that I hated. Sorry, random and offtopic.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
hooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 7:38am
My Dads mum named me, not to sure if i would do it but i think it s cool to have the input of friends and family.
Like the name too.
Desiree

first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 9:27am
I found the in Africa many of the parents I worked with got a pastor or someone else really special to name their child. some Did give five or six names to chose from while other just left it completly up to the person they had picked.
I think it is a lovely way of doing it.

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 11:23am
Its not weird at all, but I wouldnt want someone else naming my child. To me its a personal decision between my DF and myself

Love the name Emily thought

meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 2:38pm
Well I guess it's more like she suggested the name and you both loved it?
If you had asked for her to name the baby, and you really didn't like the name - what would you have done then? Just curious

11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2008 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by meow meow wrote:

Well I guess it's more like she suggested the name and you both loved it?
If you had asked for her to name the baby, and you really didn't like the name - what would you have done then? Just curious

I am not sure cause we never really did not think we wouldn't. I guess we would have talked to her about it, but most name's she would have picked we prob would have liked cause she know's me really well and know's we like anything that is older like our boy's name's are.
Deborah Mum to:

SarahP08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahP08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2008 at 3:45pm
Apparently we'll be given a list of names based on the stars on the day baby is born and then my partners sister chooses the name. If we don't like it we can change it though or use it as a middle name.

I still have a few favorites.
mum2emj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2emj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2008 at 3:59pm
i think its nice for your friend, an honour really, and seen you both like the name thats great emily is a nice name.

sarah_pullen- that sounds fun
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2008 at 6:38pm
I think its a lovely idea, and a beautiful name same as my niece so i'm bias.

I don't think it matters how you choose the name for your child as long as you are happy with it.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>