FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat modern cloth nappy has worked best f

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MalibuBarbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MalibuBarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:20pm
I think I might give making my own mcn's a go. I want to make a pocket style nappy that fits from birth to toilet training age. Has anyone made anything like this? And if so, how well did it work?
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:33pm
Yeah I make them. The only downside with them is that they can be bulkier on newborns. They work effectively though
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:48pm
thanks ladies. the green nappies website thingy is great. www.nappynetwork.co.nz has some amazing looking patterns. Am gogint o try make a couple of toddler sized ones and see what i think and then once i know what gender baby is, make some newborn ones.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 6:01pm
the nappy network is a .org BTW

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 6:35pm
ooops, sorry bout that

kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 8:12pm
Leo has a rather large bottom even without nappies so I'm not sure that cloth makes too much of a difference! lol - seriously though, some pocket nappies are slightly bulkier than others but that's usually due to fabric, such as Foxybots minky nappies - but they're sooooo cute, the fabrics definitely make up for it. Using hemp & mf together is a really trim option if you need extra boosting or going for a bamboo Itti Bitti D'lish if you need something extra trim

Vic xx
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 1:29pm
what if you are making your own? has anyone done this? what is the sizing like? when i tried Vincent in them when he was crawling, some of his clothes wouldn't fit due to the cloth nappy. (old fashioned one tho)

kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by chonny chonny wrote:

what if you are making your own? has anyone done this? what is the sizing like? when i tried Vincent in them when he was crawling, some of his clothes wouldn't fit due to the cloth nappy. (old fashioned one tho)

I think it all comes down to what fabric you use (i.e. PUL is thinner than minky or velour) and what/how much absorbancy you stuff the pocket with (i.e. if you use a mf/hemp trifold it's trim AND absorbant). Also a sized nappy will be trimmer on a small baby than if you use a one-size-fits-all pattern.

Vic xx
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 2:52pm
can you buy the hemp? and what is pul fabric? sorry i'm very ignorant of this i guess. lol. 2nd time mum, newbie mcn's

AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 2:56pm
If you think nappies are bulky prepare to be wowed

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/wintir/IMG_0155.jpg
This is a fitted, so would be little bulkier with a cover, but is one of our night nappies, so needs to last 12 hours. (baby beehinds)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/wintir/IMG_0149.jpg
All in one (berry plush)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/wintir/IMG_0131-1.jpg
All in one (bitti d'lish)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/wintir/IMG_0108-1.jpg
Cotton fitted with merino cover - The thickest nappies get around here!

Ok done showing off

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 3:16pm
thanks alia, that's awesome to actually be able to see them. and thank you seb! lol. i think i will need to deffinately try making a couple for Vincent, i only have one pattern for toddler ones at the moment but i think that'l b ok

AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 7:52am
Toddler pattern should be ok if he is a chubba bub, but I'd watch it's not for 2-3 year olds if he's not! if you got it off the nappy network the wee weka med-large should probably fit, Seb still fits the sml-med but he's quite skinny.

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 2:07pm
thanks alia, i didn't even think about the fact that there was bigger sizes there. lol. i wil try both sizes as i think Vincent is about the same size as seb from looking at the pics. so where do i get hemp from? and what is the PUL?

kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 2:38pm

thanks alia, i didn't even think about the fact that there was bigger sizes there. lol. i wil try both sizes as i think Vincent is about the same size as seb from looking at the pics. so where do i get hemp from? and what is the PUL?

You can get everything you need from www.greenbeans.co.nz - PUL is the waterpoof fabric that goes on the outside of a pocket, microfleece is for the lining and you can use microfibre and/or hemp for your inserts

Vic xx
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 2:54pm
thanks Vic. i might try go to spotlight check out their prices first.

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 3:21pm
chonny - you can only get microfleece from spotlight, not the other stuff. And only certain types work for nappies - 'little additions fleece' from memory is the wicking kind. And the chances of getting anyone who knows what they are talking about are slim to none.
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 3:45pm
oh ok, so it's easier and cheaper to get off the likes of greenbeans? or is there someone else cheaper?

kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 7:03pm

oh ok, so it's easier and cheaper to get off the likes of greenbeans? or is there someone else cheaper?

I'd say Greenbeans is your best bet. They have heaps of info and supplies there. That's where everyone I know goes. And pp said, the stock & staff at Spotlight are hopeless.

Vic xx
Eppys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eppys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:57pm
I had a friend try to make her own, it really didn't seem worth it when she was finished, she bought from greenbeans too. We just bought 12 nappies from Nudey!Rudey! (http://www.nudeyrudey.co.nz) and for the money ($150 for 6) we bought them for less than it cost her for the material, also, and i dont know much about this, but our NudeyRudey nappies are 2 millimeter fabric, not the normal 1 millimeter available from greenbeans.(or other manufacturers i believe)
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 9:10am
taht's interesting. i bought the fabric last night, $98 coz $10 delivery. Stil need to get velcro and elastic, but my mum probably will have some. and i worked out that would make me 9-10 nappies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>