FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat modern cloth nappy has worked best f

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MalibuBarbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MalibuBarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What modern cloth nappy has worked best f
    Posted: 07 April 2008 at 6:33pm
I am thinking of changing over to using modern cloth nappies but I am so confused about which type/ brand to use. Most of them seem too expensive and I have looked at making some of my own but I'm not much of a sewer. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 6:46pm

For day time Fuzzi's work well for us. Overnight I use Foxybots.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 6:46pm
MCN's are expensive up front but they are a lot cheaper in the long run. I converted to cloth when my second baby was 5mths old. I bought 11 medium Fuzzi Bunz nappies that cost me the equivalent of around 6mths worth of disposables. He wore them for 12mths and then when we upsized I sold them on TM and got back over 75% back on what I'd paid for them! So not only did I save on 6mths worth of disposables I was then able to use the money I got back on them to go towards the next size up - you can't do that with disposables! A lot of companies will do a laybuy service so you can pay them off over 3mths, otherwise you could just buy a couple a month and build up your supply over time. Lots of smaller babies wear a size medium until they're potty trained so you may never need to upsize.

So, what I've used:

Fuzzi Bunz - USA made nappy that's been around for ages. Has good resale on TM and comes with a microfibre insert which dries really quickly. I bought these in a medium when I started using cloth nappies on Leo at 5mths old. They're recently redesigned the nappy slightly but I haven't tried the new version. Can be bought from www.mothersinstinct.co.nz

Honey Child - NZ made nappy similar to Fuzzi Bunz. The insert is mircofibre again but is slightly more absorbent than a Fuzzi Bunz insert. I have a couple of these and although they are pricier they seem really well made. You can buy from www.honeychild.co.nz or contact a local agent through the website who can visit you at home & show you the nappies.

Foxybots - made by a WAHM (working at home mum) in Palmerston North. She makes gorgeous limited edition minky fabric pocket nappies which she sells separately from the inserts so you can either buy one of her inserts or use any other that you already have. Her microfibre/hemp trifold inserts are great! Instead of a pad-style insert (like FB or HC) this insert comes flat which you fold into 3 before inserting into the nappy pocket. It speeds up drying time of the insert and the combo of microfibre & hemp is really absorbent (more so than microfibre on it's own). I have a couple of these which I use on Leo overnight as the pocket for stuffing is bigger so can accommodate more absorbent fabrics. But they're just as great during the day too and come in really cute minky (fluffy) fabrics. Buy from www.foxybots.co.nz

Itti Bitti D'lish - they are an Australian made nappy that unlike a pocket nappy where you stuff with your absorbant fabrics these nappies have snap in inserts which are made of bamboo. The inserts take almost twice as long to dry then microfibre inserts but they're really absorbant, are a natural fibre, and these nappies are SUPER SLIM fitting. Also, because the inserts sit next to your baby's skin the outer can be reused if the nappy is just wet, therefor you cna buy more inserts than outers so they're not so expensive. They really do fit as slim as a disposable and come in a cute minky outer fabric. Buy from www.mothersinstinct.co.nz

Hope this helps!

Vic xx

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 7:22pm
we have some great info stickied in the cloth nappy thread... so have a look in there...

pockets are very popular but prefolds and covers are also great for newborns. i prefer fitted nappies for nights and for my newborn and you can get some great kiwi made nappies quite cheap too...

also some of the ladies on here who didnt have much faith in their sewing skills have done a great job making nappies... i know that greenbeans have a DIY kit that is very cost effective.

Edited by Bizzy

ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 7:58pm
My favourites are fuzzi bunz and baby harmony (not that that helps you, but I have never had a problem with either )

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 9:07pm
There aren't many pockets that I haven't tried (heck I have most brands in my stash) but if I had to streamline to one I'd go with Fuzzibunz. They are consistent and reliable and you can adjust the absorbency easily with more/less stuffing. My faves were Happy Heiny's which are similar except have a velcro fasten, but the gremlins can now get them off way too easily.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2008 at 11:49pm
i've tried alot of different pocket nappies too and my faves are baby harmony and drybees. the drybees are velcro instead of snaps so can come off easily though....thankfully charli has got over that and doesn't bother anymore.

it really does come down to trial and error. like most things, what works for some, doesn't work for others. the beauty of mcn's is if it's not working for you, sell it and get something else

Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:11am
We Fuzzibunz in this house.
I have a big range of different MCN's but these are our favourite. Easy to use, easy to wash and so cute

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:33am
Originally posted by jack_&_charli jack_&_charli wrote:

it really does come down to trial and error. like most things, what works for some, doesn't work for others. the beauty of mcn's is if it's not working for you, sell it and get something else

Totally agree. Most people love fuzzis but they just never worked for us. But the resale value of most mcn's is so great that it doesn't really matter if they don't work.

Another good thing to try is meet up with someone (perhaps from on here) who has a few different types so you can have a look at them
nicolaann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicolaann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:02am
Yeah I would try to find someone who uses MCN and have a look, and maybe try a few out. It is very confusing to begin with. The first MCN's I bought were tweedles, mainly because they were a cheaper option. I love them and have since bought lots more. You could always pick up a few on trademe to see what you like. I also love foxybots nappies - they are so so cute! I have also made some, and they are truley easy to make. I'm really not a sewer, but managed fine. And they are much much cheaper to make yourself. The snazzipants website has lots of great info as does this thread! Good luck!!
Nicky, Mum to Alex (5) & Sophie (3)
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 10:44am
I agree about finding someone who uses MCNs. I would never have even thought to try a cloth nappy if a friend hadn't bullied me into trying one of her Fuzzi Bunz. I had no idea how lovely or easy they could be!! I used that one nappy every day for a week, although really I was convinced from the first use! I've been talking to DH about how I'd love to make up a nappy trial pack for people so they can try out different brands of nappies for a 2wks period. I think it would be a great way for people to give cloth a go without spending heaps of money up front.

Vic xx
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

Totally agree. Most people love fuzzis but they just never worked for us. But the resale value of most mcn's is so great that it doesn't really matter if they don't work.

That's very true as the name is well known world wide and people are happy to pay not much less than a new nappy price for a 2nd hand one (nuts if you ask me! lol)

I still love my old style USA Made Fuzzis so if you want to go 2nd hand I'd suggest those or for new I love Honey Child naps (obviously or else I wouldn't sell them lol) similar to FBs but the design of the nappy and the inserts have been improved and they're NZ made
We also offer a 30 money back guarantee so if you still just don't like them, you get your money back. you can't ask for better no risk buying than that
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

also some of the ladies on here who didnt have much faith in their sewing skills have done a great job making nappies... i know that greenbeans have a DIY kit that is very cost effective.

Yep! I am one of those with minimal faith in my sewing skills and I can make my own nappies!! They are soooooo easy. My only problem is I am a bit rip, sh*t and bust and just need to bring out the Virgo in me and be alittle more careful.

Otherwise I have had a lot of success with bum genius OSFA (or OSFM)
MorgansMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorgansMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 10:31am
If you really can't decide an number of people have hire kits available with all sortd of differant systems in them, that may be the best way to go. I have decided to go with pockets for baby who is due in June.
Morgan, Libby

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 3:29pm
We love our NapNaps - and they are kiwi made!
Lindsey

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 4:25pm
do people find that cloth nappies/ mcn's are big and bulky?

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 4:32pm
Not especially. They are bigger than sposies but they are great for holding pants up lol.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by chonny chonny wrote:

do people find that cloth nappies/ mcn's are big and bulky?

no, not at all...
they can be for some night nappies and on tiny babies sometimes...but it depends on what you use.

AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 4:55pm
Most of Seb's nappies are barely bigger than a sposie. He still fits his old style (sooo 06? 07?) size 1 (they've made them smaller) pp jeans at 20 months, in cloth, and I think that's prett decent, even if he is skinny!

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2008 at 5:03pm
i was just looking at charli's butt yesterday in her PP pants i just got her and it looked so trim! it was a baby harmony pocket with a m/f insert and certainly didn't look any bigger in the butt than a sposie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>