FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBudget recipes and $saving ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budget recipes and $saving ideas
    Posted: 29 April 2008 at 12:38pm
Please add your tips/hint/recipes on how to save $$ and still eat well!
Would love to know how to make meals from scratch,..without using pasta sauces/ jar sauces/ meal flavour sachets etc etc
Sponsored Links

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 12:55pm
I made a really yummy easy pasta sauce the other day.

I sauteed some chopped red onion with a rasher of chopped bacon, added 2 chopped ripe tomato's, a dash of cream (water would be fine) some dried italian herbs and salt and pepper.

This took less than 10 mins to chuck together and was enough for one big serve.
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 1:41pm
I made pasta sauce last night, much the same as Jo's above but I didnt add any water as they were frozen tomatoes from my garden. Had to thicken with a little cornflour, but tasted yum. You can also make a huge batch (minus the bacon) and freeze it - either leave it lumpy or whizz it up til smooth.

Can you make cheese sauce from scratch? Melt butter in a pot, add flour and mix to a paste. Gradually add milk til its the right consistency then add grated cheese, salt and pepper. Sorry I dont do quantities cos I always make it up as I go.

Edited by aimeejoy
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 1:46pm
Baking saves lots of money if you buy big bags of flour, sugar etc. And marg works just as well and is heaps cheaper than butter.

Breadmaker bread from scratch, not a baking mix.

If you dont have your own vege garden, you can still buy lots of something when its on special and preserve it. We have finished all our summer crop stuff now and waiting on winter veges, but for example, broccoli is on special for 99c at the moment, so I bought quite a few to blanch and freeze like I did with mine from the garden. Same with tomatoes - just cut in half and chuck in the freezer when on special.

Have one (or more) meatless dinner a week.

Frozen veges are cheap and just as good for you.

Make oven fries from potatoes, rather than frozen ones.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 1:51pm
This is what have had for dinner in the last week or so...

* corned beef (in crock pot with onion, garlic. bay leaf and peppercorns), spuds, carrots, broc and cauli
* sausages/chops/cheap steak/chicken pieces, spuds and mixed veg
* mince and pasta (in crockpot - brown mince and onion, chuck in crock pot with dry pasta, chopped tomatoes, mixed veg, water, baked beans... anything really)
* cheap fish and homemade chips
* casserole/stewing steak, lots of veges, beef stock, garlic, onion, tomatoes - in crockpot, stovetop, oven or on fire
* stirfry (either pork, beef or chicken and I dont use much meat, just heaps of veges, usually frozen ones, and rice)

Meat can be really expensive so you need to either have less meat meals a week or make a small amount go a long way with stuff that is cheap like veges, baked beans, rice etc .

Edited by aimeejoy
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 2:00pm
we are adding pulses to our stews - more fibre and cheaper. Healthy Fod mag has ideas for cutting food bills by $50.
Mummy2three View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mummy2three Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 2:04pm
This is a nice, cheap and easy recipe I use in the slow cooker

Sausage casserole    
Cut up about 6 raw sausages into chunks, add diced potato (however much you fancy) and about 1/3 a bag of triple mix veg (corn, carrot & peas) then either 1 packet of tom soup mix (or cream of chicken is good too) plus 1 cup water or a tin of soup them mix it all about and cook about 5 hrs on low or about 3.5 on high. The sausages come out really tender and it makes great leftovers.
fairsk8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairsk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 3:07pm
Cheese sauce recipe is in Edmonds cookbook.

A great cookbook to find is one called dollars and sense, it is written by a lady who decided after having her children she wanted to stay a SAHM so her family went down to one income. The book has lots of recipes/hints/tips for eating/living off one income with a family.

ETA: It is not the dollars and sense book I am thinking about as that is by Allison Holst, but it has a similar name. I am now going to sit here and rack my brain for the name of it.

Edited by fairsk8
fairsk8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairsk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 3:12pm
Aha, didn't take long lol. 'Destitute Gourmet'(sp?) is the name of the book. Can't think of the author though.
fairsk8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairsk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 3:33pm
Ok me again lol.

Sophie Gray is her name and here is a link to her website as well, which has a forum on it.

Destitute Gourmet
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by aimeejoy aimeejoy wrote:

Can you make cheese sauce from scratch? Melt butter in a pot, add flour and mix to a paste. Gradually add milk til its the right consistency then add grated cheese, salt and pepper. Sorry I dont do quantities cos I always make it up as I go.

I make a yummy cheese sauce whenever I've sauteed onions and bacon for a different recipe. It makes the best macaroni cheese.

Once onions and bacon are removed from the pan I add a dab of mustard (about 1/2 teaspoon or less I guess), a knob of butter and a spoon of cornflour. Once the cornflour starts going frothy I gradually add a cup of milk. As the milk heats it pulls the flavour from the onion and bacon. Then add the cheese and put it in the freezer for a quick and easy meal later or use straight away.

I've also typed my fruity oat slice into a seperate thread, it's a mix between a muesli bar and a cake and it has dark choc melts in it - mmmmmm.
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 6:13pm
Also, because milk is expensive at the moment I have started using powdered milk for sauces and baking. Don't notice any different.
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 6:55pm
I am looking at getting that new cook book "4 Ingredients" by those Australian chicks.. Am going to check it out tomorrow.

Then I'll plan our meals and only buy the stuff that we need for them :)
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 7:11pm
I got Mum and MIL that cook book for christmas, might have to borrow a copy back!

Lol Aimee,..yes I can make white sauce. Hadnt thought about using marg instead of butter in baking tho,...the last baking I did was months aho, and was dairy/egg free anyway.
Great tips aout frezzing cheap vege! I will so go and stock up on brocolli,..we use heaps of it fresh and frozen. And hopefully tomatoes are on sale too. what can u use them for once they have been frozen? Like are the ok in salad still of just in cooking?
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 7:18pm
Tomato's are only good for cooking once they've been frozen, you can't use them in salads, but they pratically self peel which is a great advantage if the recipe calls for it.
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2008 at 7:53pm
I don't know if that recipe book has come out yet has it? Sounds good though. Hmm, all this food talk has got me motivated to do some baking ....
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 9:22am
I've got the 4 INgredients cookbook, haven't used it yet tho

Thanks for the tip re broccoli Aimee coz my girls eat it just about every night. So do you just blanch it in boiling water then freeze? And when you defrost it, do you just boil/steam it as per usual?
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 9:44am
I my 4 ingredients cookbook! Was my best Xmas present after my laptop!
What's great is you can add more to the recipes if you want to but they are great as they are too.
Lots of good kids recipes in there too.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 9:53am
Originally posted by aimeejoy aimeejoy wrote:

Can you make cheese sauce from scratch? .

Ijust made some for Tom last night. 25gm butter, melted...add 2 tables spoons of flour, stir till thick, add 1/2 cup milk, stir till boiling (or thick) and another half cup of milk/stock/vege water. Stir till right consistency. Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons grated cheese.

This made enough to mix with his mashed veges and to go over our veges also. YUMMMY!!!!

I buy meat in bulk from a butcher as I am fussy about quality and like to buy organic/free range. For $80 I bought 1kg organic beef mince, 1kg diced free range pork, 1kg diced beef, 8 lamb loin chops, 4 HUGE pork chops, 12 sausages and a huge corned sliverside. This will make at least 15 meals so with a few non meat meals thrown in it should last at least 3 weeks. and the meat is FANTASTIC!

We add pulses to lots of meals like casseroles, nachos, spag bol etc.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 10:00am
Heres a though with regards to cheese prices (its a little tongue in cheek). Now that prices are so high for bog standard chedder...start buying imported fancy cheeses......they just might work out cheaper. We have a gorgeously addictive cheesemongers in chch and whilst I have always thought it a luxury...now it doesnt seem comparitvely so expensive.   

I have never skimped on parmesan. I love pasta and italian cooking so I always buy regiano parmegiano at $70/kg.....however $7 worth lasts a good month!!!! and is devine!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>