FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCat Nets for Cots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cat Nets for Cots
    Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:39pm
Just wondering if anyone has come across these either instore or online? We have 2 cats, one of which i'm really worried would view the baby's cot as the perfect place for a nap!
Sponsored Links

Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:47pm
I have never heard of them.
But I can tell you what worked for us. When we first set up the cot we filled it with around a dozen balloons. When the cat tried to jump in she got such a fright she has never gone near it again!

Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:52pm
LOL sterryn! Thats a good idea! Ive caught our cat in the cot a few times! And I got up the other morning and he was asleep on the change table So the bedroom door must stay shut now when the cats are in.

Edited by Sheza

Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:56pm
Sounds like a fantastic idea

Definitely worth a try. I'm just worried that our cat is so cunning and persistent that she wouldn't be put off by the fright
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:57pm
Funny that - our cat got in the cot and had a sniff, and then left it alone. Hasnt even touched the basinett which is in the bedroom. We've decided just to make sure she's not in that end of the house without us being there/being awake.
emachan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 8:59pm
like the balloon idea I think I'll try that one...
one of my cats has been sleeping on the box of my old baby clothes that mum brought round the other week for me to sift through - theres a few woolen cardis at the top so I think she has been enjoying the warmth over the past few cold days.

if there was a net thing, my cat would probably still use it as a hammock I think!

DD#1 Sept 08
DD#2 Oct 09
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:03pm
I had one sent over from the uk as I couldn't find them on sale here and it was totally useless, it wouldn't stop a kitten getting in so no way it would stop my 7kg cat. Yep my cat did the hammock thing and basically it just caved in until he was sitting at the bottom of the bassinet with the net under him (Spencer wasn't in it at the time).
Filling with balloons or squirting with a water pistol when ever they get near it is the best idea or failing that keep the room the baby is in cat free, I was mean and if Spencer was in the lounge with me in the day the cats got locked outside and at night I keep his bedroom door shut and do a cat check first.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:12pm
I also heard wrapping the whole cot or bassinet in tinfoil works. they hate the feeling of it. But if your cats are like mine they will know when you have taken it off and then hop in!

Keeping the door closed was unfortunately our best bet. Someone suggested getting a catch for the door so it could be open half a cat head wide
Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:26pm
We used a mozzie net over the cot when I was still preggers to deter the cats and it STILL keeps the cats out now

Also I've heard putting balloons inside the cot before bubs is born will deter nosey kitties
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:33pm

We only found the cat in the cot once - with him! She was all curled up in the corner fast asleep, and got a short sharp telling off and a big smack and has never done it since. She is an old girl and cant jump up that high (we used to have a chair near it that she used as a step!)

I have heard that the balloons trick works!

VannesaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VannesaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:34pm
We have three cats. When I pg with #1 I got hubby to make up a simple (and I mean simple - 5 bits of smallish wood) frame that fit inside the door, then stapled netting to it. Easy to slot in and out of the doorway - kept the cats out - allowed air to get in the room - and best of all I could see inside the room at all times without worrying about the cats.

VannesaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VannesaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:36pm
That was five years ago and I have no idea what happened to it afterwards - so hubby will be making another one for this baby - although our cats are now outdoor cats due to Bre's fur allergy.

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 9:45pm
Balloons and tin foil worked for us - though the cat was still curious at first, but hates Jack moving so would never go that close anyway
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 9:44am
I was worried about our cats too before Jack was born. Mum told me to put a dish/pan of water in the bassinet. Not sure if this works as the cats never tried to jump in. I never had to worry once Jack was born as they were too scared/wary of him and hardly ever came inside. They are only just now coming inside more and I think the motivation for that was the horrible weather!
Lindsey

tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:32am
good idea about the ballons! one of my cats has already made himself nice and at home in the cot and I dont know how many times I have kicked him out! I havent set up the bassinet yet for that reason as Im going to have to wash all the linen etc before bubs comes along...he has also slept in the pram and in the shelf on the change table on the towels and sheets...oh and in the toy box and on top of the draws which he has scratched! naughty cat! so I think im going to have to shut the door when bubs comes along!
[/url]
my2girls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2girls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 11:51am
Babycity have them, or if they dont they can order them in.
aussiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 10:05am
We have a mozzie net over our bassinet, and I found our cat sound asleep on top of it! just like cuppatea said! So it will be doors shut I think for us!
Although, I know our cat doesn't like toddlers (they move too quick for her!) so I'm hoping a baby will be the same!

Good luck!
Mum to Hayley **30.6.08
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 10:49am
I caught our other cat in the cot the other night, I heard the plastic cover of our mattress rustle and got up and the cat was just about to get comfy in there! He got chicked out quick smart. The other cat has been found asleep on the change table a few times and he used to climb into the bassinet aswell So our bedroom door needs to stay sh*t when the cats are in now.

cat007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 12:53pm
I had the same problem - especially in winter time. I kept the door shut of the bedroom everytime Levi had a sleep. The only time I caught the cat in the cot, she got a smack and has never tried it again. She does love to sit on the windowsill though but gets kicked out of the room at naptime.

With the twins, I originally had planned to have them sleeping in the lounge at night to accomodate family that came to stay however I suddenly remembered about the cat - so now I am planning to keep them in a bedroom too - with door shut.
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 6:01pm
Kye, your cat sounds fantastic. Naughty, but so very cattish. My cats are so skittish, I dont think we will have to worry. More worried that our Lab will try and jump for a cuddle!!!!

A bit early for us to start preparing a nursery, but we are starting to discourage the cats from napping in that room.

Will have to remember the balloon idea.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>