FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFeeling the Need to Nest!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeling the Need to Nest!
    Posted: 13 May 2008 at 11:31am
Okay, so the third trimester is frighteningly close and i'm really feeling the need to nest! Unfortunately, due to renovations and a husband with a broken leg, the baby's room is full of everything other than baby stuff

But my question is how prepared is everyone out there and where do you draw the line on things you NEED to buy? We have some basic items like a bassinet, buggy and car seat in storage at my mum's house but what about smaller (although equally expensive) things like breast pumps, bottles, nappies, safety monitors ... argh!
Sponsored Links

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 11:37am
for us safety monitor was essential and of course same with nappies..though not too many if you have no idea of size which you dont yet of course:) i bought 200 of each of the first sizes:) breast pump I'd wait till after and same with bottles...
Mum to two amazing boys!
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 11:53am
yip, that list of "little things" gets quite pricey! We decided change table was essential cos of my back problems, haven't got monitor cos our house is pretty small! got box of nappies, cheap bath, 6 wraps/muslins, 8 outfits newborn size (all second hand), maternity pads (I see them as essential!). I used the list on the Baby Factory website to guide me, along with the list on OhBaby. Breast pump/bottles - will definitely wait till later.
Mum to two wee boys
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 11:56am
Baby monitor is soooo useful. The Phillips one are Good and are amount $100. I have used mine till Zaara was 1.5 years old.

I agree start buying Nappies every time you go shopping. Look out for those bulk box specialls and buy atleast 2 x Newborn. Buy some wipes, lotion etc. This way you spread the cost and help you with storage, as you are not buying all at once.

I agree, dont buy breast pump unless you need it. I bought one for $199 and never actually used it...Zaara refused to take the bottle!!

The other thing that is most expensive and not necessary but us mum's still want to buy them is Changing table, Baby gym, Baby mobile etc. Some of those can be hundreds of dollars.

Changing table is sooo useful specially the ones that come with Baths. I used mine for the longest time, specialy after c section I was in no condition to bend and change on the bed.

Baby factory has some awesome baby gyms for $30. If I had that when I bought mine I wouldnt have spend $150 on it. I got my Baby mobile thru Fly Buys!

Yah Baby's are expensive, but if you plan well you can spread the cost so its not so heavy on the pocket.

Good luck with the renovations. Hope all goes well and I know all about nesting...I had it really bad!!

first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:03pm
Zebra7 I understand where you are at. I am waiting till I shift to get everything which wont be till I'm eight months. Some days I just want to get stuff together.
I think you are slightly more organised than me. I will hopefully get a car seat soonish. There is still time left.

LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:31pm

Just another perspective on the breast pump - my daughter was early and didn't feed well and every feed for 6 weeks was breast, expressed milk and if needed formula top up, could not have lived without a breast pump, had to stop on the way home from the hospital after cs to get one. Trade me has second hand ones that aren't too much but even if you get one you use by hand rather than an electric which are expensive.

Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:24pm
All great advice as usual

It's so hard not to feel like you need to get everything before the baby arrives. Great advice on breast pumps especially.

Is anyone else planning on using cloth nappies?
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:31pm
I'll probably use a combo of both. I just have to understand how they work (have a session with a MCN guru mum planned!). The Waitak Ciy Council up here has a hire scheme which is fab - means you can try before committing to buying.
Mum to two wee boys
gypsynita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsynita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 2:33pm
I'm definately keen to go cloth. I haven't got any yet cause everyone's got a different opinion on what's best for newborns - but I'm hoping theres some at the parenting expo in hamilton this weekend so I can check them out "in the flesh".

no council support down here unfortunately!!
Anita
Mum to Cian (Aug 08), Josh (Jun 10)

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 2:50pm
I was all go for cloth and then I went with disp. I think after my CS, the fact that I had to soak, wash etc was a bit too much. And then I wanted to get those fancy cloth once but didnt have large lump sum to buy them. Its a choice I guess. Those fancy nappies (Fuzzy bunz etc) are really good (I hear) but they are expensive....if you want to get them then save now and buy couple of dozen.

AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 3:21pm
Roksana they can be expensive yes - I'd recommend about 20 MCNs for a new bubba (or flats/prefolds are good for when they're really little until they fit smalls or mediums) You don't need to soak them (not sure on flats though? maybe need to soak those) In fact it's recommended to dry pail MCNs (empty bucket with lockable lid to keep bubs out)

It'd be $600 for a set of 20 fuzzis, which probably wouldn't be my choice simply because I prefer to support NZ made, but it's nice and simple for a cloth newbie.

but at $12? a pack, I think that's what it was when I used sposies (huggies) maybe 3+ a week for a newborn, it adds up pretty quick, and then Fuzzis especially tend to have a very high resell value so long as you treat them nicely. People often get 3/4 of the value back selling them after bubs is done with them... 1/2 at least for other MCNs, or they have plenty of use left for another child if you keep em. especially in the smalls you don't use for that long.

Sorry for the ramble! Maybe you could make it to one of our Welly baby/toddler meet-ups? There's a few of us who use MCNs who would be ok to bring them along.

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 3:43pm
I know when you do the math Cloth is way cheeper even if you use fuzzies....but you know how it is, when you spread the cost each f/night it does feel sooo bad!! LOL Crazy I know. And since I am planning to stay home for 6 months with this bub, I am thinking of giving clotha go.

AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 3:48pm
Oh yes - and if you go with prefolds or flats which are great for a little little bub IMO you could do it for under $200 - worth a thought As cute as MCNs are, I'll probably be doing flats or prefolds and covers for the small stage, just not worth it for the 3-4 months till they hit mediums (of course varies depending on bubs shape/size)

Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 4:16pm
I'm planning on using a combination of cloth and disposables ... especially at first when there will be enough to worry about without the added anxiety of wondering if you have enough clean nappies

A friend of mine is very into her MCNs so i'm planning to take advantage of her research and am going to go with the BumGenius nappies which are adjustable so one size fits up to about 2 years. They don't need over-wraps either like some do. At this stage I think we'll get 12 and see how we go mixing them with the disposables.
AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 5:12pm
Watch the bum genius, not sure about the v3s as they've barely been out, but I've heard from ALOT of people who've had the elastic give in them after only a year (or less) of use. check out

http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/phpBB2/index.php

there's a great review section, and a photo section too.

Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:07pm
I'm going to make my own, they work out to be about $20-25 for 3-4 pocket nappies.
Check out www.greenbeans.co.nz , they have the whole kit of what you need (except cotton).
All you need is a sewing machine (or a friendly relative/friend who will do it for you!)
LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:30pm

My mum made mine after trailling different brands and not really being happy with any of them, I used MCN's since Leah was about 6 weeks and have only stopped in the last 3-4 months as morning sickness puts me off dealing with them!! Am saving them for the next one though.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:34pm
I *thought* I had everything I needed before I had Maya, but still ended up making a trip to The Warehouse for last min bits and pieces on the way home from hospital, and sending Mum out to the Baby Factory a few days later for more things.

Am nowhere near organised this time, altho it helps that I still have change table, breast pump, cot linen etc. from the gremlins. I have bottles too, but no newborn teats, and I have their buggy of course.

We have the cot but no matress or matress protector, have a capsule, plenty of clothes and linen but still need to get an apnoea monitor for her.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
cat007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 10:53pm
I also stock up on breast pads & maternity pads (sorry for TMI) because it was the last thing I felt like doing in the hours after birth and you kinda need them straight away.

Also I had to send DH out to buy some scratchmits & a dummy the day after birth. Also suggest getting something for babies wind ie infancol or gripe water to have on hand - you just cant wait for the shops to open when you need it.

I wouldnt worry about getting a breastpump and bottles until after baby is born - a lot of people I know never used them.

A bassinette or cot, carseat, clothes ie all-in-ones, and nappies are essential but the rest I found I could wait until later and get only as I needed. I planned to use cloth nappies but also stocked up on disposables to get me started until I felt more in control of things.
VannesaD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VannesaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 9:49am
I had planned to go cloth with my first .. managed 3 cloth nappies (and I'm talking about the old white flat nappies you had to fold and safety pin!! ) and then switched to disposables. Never changed back.

However this time I am going to go cloth again - using the newer fancy cloth varieties and will probably go with Fuzzi's as you can import then a lot cheaper than buying from a NZ stockist (sorry but money is also tight for me and the NZ importers charge a lot). I have priced up 18 Fuzzi's with inserts and you can get them to NZ (inc shipping) for $450. I will have disposables on hand for the early days and then make the switch over to cloth after the first week or two.

It really is a personal choice - what works for one is not necessarily going to work for another. And stocking up on cloth does require $$ - either purchasing one a week or two while pregnant or having a lump sum available to buy a set pack outright.

I'm going to the Hamilton Parent & Child show this weekend to see if there are any show specials to take advantage of - and the Auckland show is on at the end of October - but this may be too late for me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>