FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow do you approach masterbating?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you approach masterbating?
    Posted: 30 May 2008 at 9:02am
My big boy has started masterbating regularly & infront of myself & others. When I've caught him in action, I've told him "Thats something we do in the bedroom or bathroom, in private" And left it at that. He'll run off laughing to his bedroom, which is good, but is this the right approach? He also goes to hs bedroom for timeout. I dont want him thinking its bad or anything. Do i need to give him more "words" for what he is doing & explain why we do it in private or maybe move timeout?

Tips & advice please
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

Sponsored Links

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 9:07am
I tend to approach it the same way that you do. Just say that its something we do on our own and that if she feels like doing it she can go in her bedroom.
I try to make it casual so that she doesn't feel like she's being sent away to do something naughty.
I'll be interested to hear other people's advice on this too.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 9:09am
I have no advice other than to say that you are doing what I do!
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 9:11am
Same here!!!
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 10:49am

Never had a problem with my girls so wasnt an issue but Alize on the other hand has already found his penis and loves it. I plan on teaching him when he is older the same as Glow and Mel have said. Alize just loves to show his off already, he treats it like a little action figure that can do magic hahahahah

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 10:53am
we do the same here, they seem to have grown out of it thank goodness.

it isnt really masterbating tho, just more trying to work out how it works and it probably feels good too. Gabriel discovered his late and it coincided with when the foreskin came back... so a new discovery for him!

Deez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 11:37am
At the moment I'm not even worried about it. I dont refer to it as masterbating id rather call it tugging at this age. I think it's just their way of exploring their bodies and finding out how it works and what it does...Lycan has a tug every now and then when he doesn't have a nappy on and we are also teaching him how to clean himself in the shower. I spose when he is a bit older we'll have to start explaining things to him...but until then i'm not making a big deal about it.......
So after all that i am not use to you, got no tips or advise to give..

Lycan and Peyton = Moon and back!!
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 11:53am

I think it does becone a form of masterbation when toddlers and kids start to do it all the time because it feels good which again is perfectly normal. Alot of distressed parent have brought their kids to the Drs due to this and have been reassured that some kids find th feeling so nice that it can become a comfort for them. Funny enough it is little girls who were brought in the most with the parents mortified that they had found their vagina opening and were forever in there fingers, pens and all

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 12:18pm
I do believe differentiating between masturbation at a young age and masturbation at an older age goes some way toward entrenching the stigma of 'your body is not ok' (in extreme terms )

I don't want to differentiate between masturbation at a young age and masturbation at an older age as essentially it is all about exploration and learning and that is OK (IMO)
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Kels Kels wrote:

I think it does becone a form of masterbation when toddlers and kids start to do it all the time because it feels good which again is perfectly normal. Alot of distressed parent have brought their kids to the Drs due to this and have been reassured that some kids find th feeling so nice that it can become a comfort for them. Funny enough it is little girls who were brought in the most with the parents mortified that they had found their vagina opening and were forever in there fingers, pens and all

I had no idea kids did this!
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 1:01pm
Yep.

I recall a slightly older family friend playing doctors with me when I was little. I used to be grossed out by it all but now I know it's just part of discovering bodies!

Hannah and her little friend were busted under covers one day inspecting each other's bums. heeehehehe
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 1:06pm
haha busted Hannah !

Caitlyn still touches herself sometimes, i too just tell her its something we do in private.
It also means i can talk to her about why she can touch it -cos its HER property and noone else needs to touch it , and if someone does try to touch it, she must always tell mummy .
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 8:01pm
i tell sarah that too.

im glad this topic cam up tho as my BFF has a 2 &3 yr old, miss 2 will lie on her bean bag watchn tv and will hav her hands down her pants she gets so excited she starts swetting and all, and if her mum tells her to stop it she just grins. have to say the first time i saw it after my friend had asked me what she should do i was really shocked.

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 8:40pm
I blame you Kelly. I approached this "it's your body" topic with jake, because I read your reply.
"Jake, remember that your body is for you"
"and you mummy"
"what? no! now, your private area, you can touch but if someone else touches you tell mummy"
"here mummy, you touch"
"NONONO, what i mean is...oh, nevermind"
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 9:42pm
Jake is always humping teddy....

He is now aware that Beeah (c) has a 'gina and he has a diddle and he can't play with beeahs 'gina (parts of a convo we had late last week...) And today when I was putting his night nappy on him he says only you and daddy and HiYa (gran) and Neane neane (caregiver) do my nappy and I just added on the and no one is allowed to touch your diddle and if they do you tell mum.

When I tucjed him into bed later on he goes no one can touch my diddle aye mum and no one touch beeahs 'gina and me no touch beeahs 'gina eiher.

Cute. He sort of gets it.

But the humping....
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by lizzle lizzle wrote:

I blame you Kelly. I approached this "it's your body" topic with jake, because I read your reply.
"and you mummy"
"what? no! now, your private area, you can touch but if someone else touches you tell mummy"
"here mummy, you touch"

Lol...so cute. I am so not looking forward to having that talk with DD.

Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

Gabriel discovered his late and it coincided with when the foreskin came back... so a new discovery for him!

I think this may also be the case with Brae, am keeping the casual approach & hopefully it will be short lived.
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

WiggleBums View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WiggleBums Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 3:20pm
arhhh yes,
its when they start yelling "My big fat willy" in public that you cringe.

I think we have the 'only at home' thing sorted now, but for a while...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by lizzle lizzle wrote:

"and you mummy"
"here mummy, you touch"

hehe....sorry ....but thats cute ....

I'll gladly take the blame for that one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by WiggleBums WiggleBums wrote:

arhhh yes,
its when they start yelling "My big fat willy" in public that you cringe.

or " you have a big fat willy !" in public that you pretend you have no idea who that child is.

Oh the amount of times i've looked around for Caitlyn's "mother" ...."why are you calling ME mum dear? your mum must be here somewhere...let GO of my top !"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>