FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMaternity pay going up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2008 at 8:18pm
See I think that $16 a week is awesome compared with the tax cuts they've so generously given us of $6 a week...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2008 at 9:59pm
Forgive my ignorance, is parental leave taxed?

SarahP08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahP08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 2:08pm
Yes it is, at the same rate as it was when you were working.

So for me I'll still have to pay my student loan despite the fact that I'll be earning under the threashold for the financial year.

If you are in a high income tax bracket, you'll be paying more tax on your $407 per week than someone in a lower income bracket.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 4:03pm
Well that sucks! I didn't know that part!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 10:27am
Oh yah....thanks to my high income now that means I will see very little from that ML pay.

Sucks! Thanks God I have Mortgage Holiday during the 14 weeks...Or I would be in trouble.

GOD dont you love it?

I was talking to my Auntie in Canada yesterday and she said their paid parental leave is for a year. WOW NZ is sooo behind. Most European countries are the same. Cant understand why NZ cant follow suit? Arrrggg

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 4:38pm
Will you benefit at all from the raising of the top tax bracket? Think it's gone from 60,000 to 70,000.

Am with you on the TGF mortgage holidays.
Mum to two wee boys
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 10:38am
YES I will Benefit...$26 dollars a week. YAY!!

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 11:07am

The families commission has put together a summary report called "it's about time" asking for paid parental leave to be increased (both time and money).  Here's a link to the report http://www.familiescommission.govt.nz/files/parental-leave-summary.pdf (don't worry, it's brief and not at all boring especially since it's so relevant to most of us).

If the government go with the recommendations in the report it'll be more inline with other developed countries and it will be brilliant for NZ families.

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 12:16pm
oh yah...lets just hope this comes to play before I give birth. But knowing the *^$@&%$#@ govt. I wouldnt hold my breath! They like to suck money out of you but not give any thing back!!

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 1:22pm

The families commisson is asking for staged changes over the next 7 years so that by 2015 NZers get 13 months of fully paid parental leave.  2015 seems an awfully long time away and nothing's guarenteed until it goes through parliament (and even then the next government could scrap it).

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 1:25pm
In Ireland it's 6 months paid and a year unpaid. AND childrens allowance isn't means tested, so even if you are a SAHM you can still feel like you're contributing something to the household financially.

14 weeks is wayyyy too short.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 2:03pm

Originally posted by tishy tishy wrote:

14 weeks is wayyyy too short.

I agree.  I stayed home for 5 months and it wasn't until about 3 months that Michaela and I really settled into a good routine and were enjoying our time together rather than just coping.  It wasn't until 10 months that she actually started settling in the evenings and sleeping through the night so until then I was working fulltime at work and fulltime at home too - I was a zombie!

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 2:51pm
By 2015 I will definitely be at the end of my reproducing, I hope!!
Mum to two wee boys
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 5:48pm
May be our kids will be lucky ones to recev this service......

maysie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 7:00pm
Don't worry Roksana, we don't qualify for anything frm the govt either. We just pay tons of tax and pay private for other things too. I'm probably not going back to work and we still won't get anything. I'm sure there are countries where you dont get anything at all no matter what your income so it def could be worse. No more Sat morning shopping sprees for me though BUT Id rather be in this position than not.

maysie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 7:01pm
and I love cheese. Can't live without it

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 5:46pm
yuah maysie...I know will be fine too...but you know it just seems unfair that all the taxes we pay never really comes back to us!!!

AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 5:51pm
Roksana, the way I see it tax evens things out - We don't have a bunch of homeless people all over the streets because of it etc, and would probably be more crime and things if people didn't have benefits, so maybe you do get things out of it in ways that aren't so obvious at first? I think our country is a much safer place to raise our kids because of things like that.

Tax is a bit like a modern day robin hood

Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 3:52pm
I love cheese, its my fav food at the moment

I think NZ should have paid leave for 1 year like European countries.

I will be paying student loan fees aswell, bummer no break for anything.

I have told my husband that I want a year off, I feel I deserve it. We all do.

I will have to find a way to pay my debts for one year
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 5:21pm
Alia - I agree we dont have homeless ppl...but the ppl in Dol are always running out of money before the week is over (I have a friend with inside knowledge). With recent crime on the news its making me wonder....????

but seriously tho, some one like me who has worked all my "Working life" and never ever had dol...then I want to take a year off to spend time with my Babies.....the govt will not give me any thing?? seems really unfair too me. No matter how I look at it!

I dont know...I have cousins in Europe and Canada etc and they always tell me of the benefits and I see NZ as lagging behind!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>