FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDIY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY
    Posted: 12 June 2008 at 4:48pm
We have been using Nap Naps (fitteds) with Jack since he was born and have been very happy with them. When we bought the Nap Naps it was at the Parent and Child Show when I was about 10wks or so. We saw pockets but they seemed too difficult as the Nap Naps had an additional booster if you needed it (we only use at night) and a microfleece liner. the Pockets seemed to have so many extra 'bits'. Plus the Nap Naps are OSFA and we didn't like the idea of having to buy more nappies when Jack grew out of them.

However I have been wondering what all the fuss is about pockets so was wondering about making a few to trial them. Here are my questions:
Where do I start? I have had a look at TNN but ot all seemed too daunting.
What sorts of fabrics do I use? Can I just buy it at Spotlight?
Can you make a OSFA?
Do the patterns include inserts (or whatever you call the 'things' you stuff the pockets with)?
Do pockets need covers?

TIA
Lindsey

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2008 at 5:02pm
Where do I start? Try a DIY kit from greenbeans. And then maybe download the pattern from TNN (the webpage not the forum part)

What sorts of fabrics do I use? Generally speaking, no you can't use spotlight. There are a couple of fabrics there you can use but for starting out I'd go with Greenbeans. They have everything you need in the one place.

Can you make a OSFA? Of course you can. If you can't find a free pattern for one though you will have to experiment and come up with your own.

Do the patterns include inserts (or whatever you call the 'things' you stuff the pockets with)? I'm not quite sure what you are asking. But the things you stuff them with are inserts. You can make these from microfibre (again check out greenbeans) or you can just buy them ready made.

Do pockets need covers? No. Most pockets are made of PUL which has a waterproof layer.
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2008 at 5:02pm
Check out Greenbeans.co.nz they have DIY kits. I have made 12 pockets myself and they are easy peasy to make!!

I can get four nappies out of the material they supply in ane DIY kit. Works out quite reasonable.
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2008 at 6:31pm
Photo tutorial for a pocket nappy available here - TNN DIY

By now your little man may be fitting larges so maybe go with that size?

It's fun! Good luck!

P.S. Greenbeans for sure. But you may as well get all your nappy supplies from there as it works out cheaper if you buy a lot of stuff. Or combine an order with someone?

Post Reply Post Reply