FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOh cake decorating experts!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh cake decorating experts!
    Posted: 16 June 2008 at 8:17pm
I am a total novice to making nice themed birthday cakes, but I'm going to give it a try for Alyssa's birthday in July. I was just wondering about a couple of things..

For now I am planning on doing a Mickey Mouse cake so I guess black food colouring for the ears, but what colour should I get to make the face colour? It's kind of a skin colour I guess and I don't know if you have to make this up yourself of it they sell it that colour?

Also, when you use fairly dark icing such as black or red, does this tend to stain the teeth or whatever else it touches?
Sponsored Links

BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 8:25pm
for the face colour you can just make up the normal icing and dont add colouring.

Yes i made a black batman cake and it did stain teeth.

I was lazy for Bays bday this year and just bought an edible cake image for $12 off TM - its cheap, easy and looks awsome!!!!
There are some neat mickey mouse ones if you want to go that way?

mickey edible cake image

Edited by BaileyandAstin
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 8:31pm
aawww these ones are cute!!..

minnie

minnie again

Edited by BaileyandAstin
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 8:38pm
What kind of icing are you using? If it has butter in it, you might just need a touch of red and it will get to a close kind of skin colour?

Hopefully Janine will come on here though cause she's heaps more experienced than me!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 8:58pm
There's a Mickey Mouse cake in the original AWW cake book, I only have the new version but I'm sure someone has a copy of the old one.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 6:33am
i made a mickey mouse - used a touch of red and a touch of yellow. looked a wee bit pinky though
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 8:03am

Hey Pepsi.  I did a Mickey Mouse cake this year too but went the lazy route and printed the image and message I wanted onto transparency paper and stuck that on top of the cake. 

Here's how it turned out.

Edited by MrsMojo
Deez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 8:45am
I was wondering the same thing...i'm planning on making Lycan's birthday cake this year too and it's a toss up between Mickey and Bob....so far i think Mickey is winning

Lycan and Peyton = Moon and back!!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 8:47am
Hi Pepsi, I made Daniel a mickey mouse cake...

It was actually quite fun to make and fairly easy!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 8:53am
I used these colours: black, ivory, red

The gel colours make the most vibrant colours. I just made butter icing and added teeny bits of gel to get the colours on the cake.

The black makes your tongue blue/green. Some got squished into the carpet and it came out with warm water so it's not bad when it comes to staining.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 9:44am
yeah black does tend to stain... also have found that if you make it up thenight before and have it next to other things it can sometimes leach into them and run a bit.

but pretty easy for mickey.. a round cake with 2 smaller round piece for the ears.

Depends with the in between whether you want skin colour or not. from what i remember mickey tends to be black and white anyway doesn't he?
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 6:23pm
Thanks for all the comments and awesome cake photos ladies!! Not sure if I'm keen on the black teeth when I think of photos I may take of her afterwards hehe.. Also had heard of the colour run thing so not sure if I would have a chance to ice it on the day?

I very well may copy your idea in the end MrsMojo cause it looks great and ultimately Alyssa would be happy to see Mickey Mouse no matter how he was on the cake.

I originally did a google image search to find ideas and the face looks kind of skin coloured in most of them but I guess white would be ok... I would love to be able to do something like this..

But mine would probably end up like this which is a little more basic.. she would still know it's Mickey though..

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 7:44pm
You could do something like the bottom one,..then get licorice to make the nose and mouth shapes like the first pic,... and you could even get the royal icing that u roll our, and colour it will a little cocoa,..then cut out a shape of the face/cheeks like the first pic, and just place that on top of the choc icing of the rest of the cake.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 8:14pm
Pepsi - the same concept as the bottom one and the top one are roughly about right. if you look at the first one... it's all done in blobs. you get the little star nozzle with the icing bags, all you need to do is trace a template of the ears piece you need black, ie print out a pic you like in roughly the right size, cut the black piece from the white in a puzzle kinda way, put the black piece on the cake and use a sharp knife to gently make a small line along the top of the cake so you know where to go.

Then just do the blobs of icing - reallllly quick to do, i did a carebear cake for ayja using this technique and it was super fast. In fact i think it took less than an hour. and instead of doing them in straight rows, use the nextrow you do and put it in the in-between parts so theres no gaps and so on and so on.

The rest is just a plain little nozzle that comes with it, and you just do an outline with the black icing.   It doesn't stain tooo much. If you're worried you could always make a nice choclate icing and it would have the same effect without the crazy blackness.

The blobs are like this...in alternate rows.

GO ON YOU KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Deez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 9:37pm
Wow did you make that? That looks rally yummy....Come on Pepsi you can do it!!

Lycan and Peyton = Moon and back!!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 8:48am
Use ivory colouring for the face colour. it comes out looking way more like mickey than white.

I used that exact same picture (the top mickey) for my cake. I blew it up to the right size and traced around it for the shape and the placement of the eyes etc.
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 6:13pm
Is this ivory colour only in the gel form you got off trademe or do you know if you can get it in a liquid form? It's just my local supermarket only seems to have the liquid ones and only a few colours..
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 6:33pm
its on trademe only that I've found. But the gel colours do make the best vibrant colours. Far better than the liquid ones at the supermarket. The seller that I used (occassioncakes) gave me some advice about the cake and colouring and I only used a very small amount of it so I have loads left for future cakes
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 6:39pm
Cool, thanks for all the tips Stacey, you look like you did a great job with the same one I originally wanted to do so maybe I will give it a go

And thanks Janine, I think the chocolate instead of black could be a way for me to go.. Your cakes always look so awesome!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2008 at 7:27pm
You could also check out your local cake decorating shop or spotlight - they often have the gel colourings for sale.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>