FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOMFG!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 12:28pm
Where's the neighbours?? Family support????

Where's the community support.???????????/
Sponsored Links

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 5:00pm
** Neighbours said one of the older siblings once arrived naked on the doorstep and asked to be taken in. **

WTF????   how could you NOT do anything after a kid coming to you like that!!!!

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 8:40pm
That's so horrible it makes me ill. I think that the neighbours should be haunted by what happened for a long long time as they have obviously sat back and done nothing.

The fact that they're debating murder or manslaughter charges and the mother is undergoing psychiatric care would indicate to me that she was very unwell. Not that it's an excuse but surely if the community was a bit more onto it this could have been prevented.

In any case this will haunt me for a long time and it makes me want to go and wake my baby up just to cuddle her.

WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2008 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by MrsMojo MrsMojo wrote:

Do they not have a plunket equivalent in Australia?  I found it interesting that one of the articles mentions 2 different neighbours noticing odd behaviour (i.e. 3 yo roaming street unsupervised) and yet nothing was mentioned to authorities.  I'm getting pretty sick of the "mind our own business" and "don't ask questions" world in which we live.

Nope, Aus doesnt have a Plunket equivalent! They have community nurses but thats only to take your babies to for weighing and the odd health check (they dont come to you). And thats not compulsory, you can just choose to see you GP if you wanted to. Also each state is different.

From what they are saying on the news, the Neighbours were concerned about one of the children going over naked asking for food and to live there, but didnt think anything of it... Like WTF???!!! Apparently other Neighbours were saying most of the time the house appeared fairly quiet .

The charges have now been upgraded to 2 counts of Murder and Torture

No matter what the charges, it is a very sad situation
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 8:22am

Those poor poor babies.  I just can't imagine how awful their precious little lives were.  The older children are going to need some serious counselling and reprogramming to ensure that they don't believe that the way they were parented is normal or acceptable.

Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

.....it makes me want to go and wake my baby up just to cuddle her.

Hands up who's done that before *hand raised*

ETA: haven't actually woken her but have picked her up and cuddled her while sleeping occasionally.  We're so lucky to have each other.

Edited by MrsMojo
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by MrsMojo MrsMojo wrote:

Those poor poor babies.  I just can't imagine how awful their precious little lives were.  The older children are going to need some serious counselling and reprogramming to ensure that they don't believe that the way they were parented is normal or acceptable.

Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

.....it makes me want to go and wake my baby up just to cuddle her.

Hands up who's done that before *hand raised*

ETA: haven't actually woken her but have picked her up and cuddled her while sleeping occasionally.  We're so lucky to have each other.

When I went back home...I cuddle DD (which I do every day)...but this time it was a longer one...followed by billion kisses.

I do that too..go and kiss her when she is sleeping. I would die for my children...wont think twice about it!

Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 3:03pm

I think im going to be sick.

Im just lost for words, they were toddlers how could you do that to your children, I just cant understand it. Im sick of hearing about the horrible crimes on children in this country but to hear that it is happening across the seas aswell is getting worse.

Who thinks the smacking bill (in NZ) is going to make one bit of difference?? (I sure dont)

Edited by Dagster
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 3:35pm

Originally posted by Dagster Dagster wrote:

Who thinks the smacking bill (in NZ) is going to make one bit of difference?? (I sure dont)

There has been at least one case I've heard of where it did work - in Carterton I think.  The mother felt empowered enough to press charges against the father who was using extreme force to discipline their children.  He was prosecuted and ordered into anger management.  He actually plead guilty and appeared very remorseful.

I've heard of other cases too (initially we followed these cases closely because my MIL is very against the law and I'm against using physical force as discipline)

Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 3:58pm
I do agree that physical force shouldnt be use as discipline, I just feel that its not up to the Govt to decide how people raise their children, a light smack on the bum is very different to a punch.

Ever person is different lucky I dont hold anything against people for what they belive in, we are all our own person.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 4:48pm

I think that the law is there to make it possible to prosecute offenders who claim "discipline" as their defence when being charged with abuse not because the government want to instruct parents on how their children must be raised although I appreciate media and those against the law have protrayed it as such. 

There have been cases in the recent past, before the law was introduced where abusers actually successfully fought charges because they claimed it was their rights as parents to discipline children as they saw fit.  Basically until a child was murdered the police couldn't do anything to stop these offenders, and by then it was too late.

I agree, it's not anyone elses place to dictate how we raise our children and if the bill was being used to prosecute innocent parents then I would oppose it but so far it appears only those who do actually use undue force have been affected.

It's a young law and I hope that in time it will have effect on the child abuse rates in our country - hopefully it won't take to long! 

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 5:15pm
I would smack DD on the hand or the bum (lightly) if need be...only if she is in danger and is not listening to us. Thanksfully I dont need to do that as the mention of the "corner" is enough to get her attention but again...this law is good as long as the parents who only lightly smack their kids dont get into trouble.

But I hope that our police know that if some one smacked their kids on the bum and it doesnt even turn red then it wasnt that hard to begin with.

I dont know if I agree to this bill or not but even a bill such as this does not prevent this kinda situations. They didnt hit the kids but they just starved them to death...the sick F^%$#&.

....Still making me angry!!

Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 8:43pm
i dont think its going to make a blind bit of difference at all personally.

harsher punishments for crims will tho,
do the crime do the time i say
its pathetic that someone who abuses their child and leaves them to die, in pain and cold and alone suffering while they go out drinking gets locked up for 10yrs and then gets out and has more kids.

this country is getting a tad to PC, i think if someone kills a child they should be locked up for the life expectancy of that child minus how old the child is eg:70yrs - 4yrs

any good parent knows the difference between a smack and abuse!
it just amazes me that that bill came from someone who has been charged for assaulting police! would i want my children turning out like her?? definatly not!!

and those parents in melbourne are sick! they deserve the death penalty! those poor poor kids, it amazes me tho how the father said he hadnt seen them since christmas???? but lived in the same house??!!
wouldnt 18mth olds be screaming the place down if they were starving? wouldnt any of the other kids ask where thay were?
how can you "forget" to feed them??

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 8:49pm
yep i smack my kids on the bum when nothing else is working....i usually use the 1..2..3 thing which works on jack most times, or i use the naughty chair, but the problem with that is he LIKES his chair!   i give him a warning and he says 'i want to sit on my naughty chair'

Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2008 at 8:59pm
hahahahahahahaa i use the 1 2 3 thing too, however sarah having adhd loves to play up especially in public, most recently the throw herself on the ground screaming as loud as she could in new world, it bought everyone to a standstill, people were staring, shaking their heads the manager actually came over and asked "is everything ok here??", i was at a loss of what to do, usually a smack on the hand would stop it, but i was petrified someone would ring cyfs!! i left the store in tears (with her still screaming)
and it was 3.30pm so it was packed with parents from her school too

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 12:55am
Im lucky with Caitlyn , i just say 1 ....2.....and she stops whatever shes doing and behaves (have no idea what she thinks will happen if I get to 3...)

Oh , man , i seriously just about threw up after reading that article, my god.
I am so, so , so thankful, that my baby girl has me as a mum and can go to bed each night knowing that as God is my witness, i will kill anyone who tries to hurt one hair on her beautiful brown curly haired head.
Those poor , poor little kids , what a painful death
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 8:29am
They were probably too weak to be able to cry They weighed less than what my boy did when he was born....
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 9:16am
Originally posted by caitlynsmygirl caitlynsmygirl wrote:

Im lucky with Caitlyn , i just say 1 ....2.....and she stops whatever shes doing and behaves (have no idea what she thinks will happen if I get to 3...)

yeah jack usually behaves after i get to 2......but it's hard not to laugh when i say   1.....2......then charli says 3

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 1:23pm
The law won't change a damn thing.... people who are sick enough to abuse their children will continue to do it whether there's another law in place or not.

And in Chch there was a case a couple of years ago where a father was done for hitting his child - before the bill came in - so it has been working anyway.

I often feel bad for having children in a world that is falling to pieces around us. I think how bad it has become in the last 20ish years, and then think of how terrible it's going to be for my kids and grandkids. I shudder to think actually.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 1:59pm
This puts a different spin on things IMO - not that it excuses what she did, but how could people just ignore her calls for help?

Twins mother spoke of despair

Twins mother posted struggles online
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
marielb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marielb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2008 at 6:52pm
Some people soooooooo don't deserve children

But I do feel sorry for the ones you posted, Emma
Isaac is 6, Ethan is 4, Rico is 2 and Hunter is almost 1!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>