FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCream in the crockpot? Yes or no?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cream in the crockpot? Yes or no?
    Posted: 23 June 2008 at 9:10am
GMIL told me last night that I shouldn't be cooking recipes with cream in the sauces in the crockpot.
I was talking about trying chicken korma in there and she was horrified that I might poison us all by heating cream for that long...

Anyone know if she is right?
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Sponsored Links

Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2008 at 10:48am
Crock pots cook to a hot temperature, as in the liquid boils, so it should be hot enough I'd have thought. But you never know, That's a new one on me.
Maybe the cream will split if it's cooked for a long time, i know you're not meant to boil cream for that reason but not sure if that applies in curry
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2008 at 11:01am
Mel I just had a look in my Alison Holst recipe book and she uses cream, so I presume if its on low it should be ok???
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2008 at 12:11pm
Thanks guys!

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2008 at 12:14pm
I've never used cream in mine but I've used coconut cream and cream-based ready made sauces like Korma without any probs.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
NeoshasMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoshasMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2008 at 3:27pm
Whoops this never occured to me. I have used cream in mine and that was following my slow cooker recipe book

Mrs Te Kani ❤️
Neosha 26/5/2007
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2008 at 4:11pm
I'm guessing from all the responses that it must be ok.
Korma in the crockpot tomorrow then, yay!

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2008 at 7:32pm
i would say not to put cream in just cause it may curdle, but technically it wouldn't make you sick i would imagine
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2008 at 7:42pm
I thought if you used cream, you're supposed to add it not long before you serve the meal rather than put it in early in the cooking process? Not sure where I read that though?
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2008 at 7:52pm
Yeah that's what I was thinking, cook the rest on low all day and then mix in the cream a couple of hours before serving time.
Oh well, we'll see how it goes anyway!

Post Reply Post Reply