FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAm i diffrent to other women with pcos?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CherryBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am i diffrent to other women with pcos?
    Posted: 28 June 2008 at 5:44am
I got diognosed with pcos when i was 16 when i was really really slim i mean i looked anerexic(i wasnt) im 21 now and now at a healthy weight. i do have though a belly that looks like im 5 months pregnant with slim legs and arms i just look out of porportion, im not sure if this is just to do with putting weight on or if its caused by my pcos, people have told me my belly dont look right and some have mistaken me for being pregnant. Anyway what i dont get is how the docters could put me on metformin as how it make people cut out carbs and lose weight i dont wnt to b very very thin again so i come off the metformin. Anyway i know most pcos may be over weight or have trouble keeping to a certain size(hope this dont ofeend any1) so as im slim how could i be insulin resistant? does this make me diffrent to every else and the treatment that i get? I just dont understand. At the moment im giving femzone a whirl but if it dont work i want to try clomid!!!!!! Confused
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 12:25am
whats did u do to get pregnant jezsika and u got pcos?
tropics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2008 at 10:44am
Ive kinda always been a little over weight although Im not sure if I had insulin resistance, never had that tested...they were going to put me on clomid but I tried acupuncture and healty eating / exercise and the acupuncture shorterned my cycle and worked for me! all the best!
[/url]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 12:09am
Kye ur lucky to even have periods as i have only had 3 periods in my lifetime and im 21
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 11:46am
I don't get periods either, have insulin resistance too. I find it hard to keep to my normal weight (healthy weight, not skinny or fat).

Do you have the cysts, the syndrome or both? (sorry just being nosey!)
Emily281 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emily281 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 1:52pm
Hey Serenna
I see you've posted alot of questions about PCOS... have you tried twoweekwait.com? They have a message board dedicated to PCOS so there might be alot more people there who could answer your questions.
TTC#1: Jan 07
Aug 08: Lap found and excised Stage 3 Endo
Nov 08: 2nd lap clear - given OK to TTC after next AF
VioletStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VioletStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 9:19pm
Hey ya,

I also have PCOS and have only had a handful of natural periods and I'm 23.

I'm bigger now though, but when I was slim I still didn't have them.
I have insulin resistance too and am on Metformin for that.
Formerly Wishin41
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 9:49pm

I am larger than what I *should* be and have both cysts and the syndrom. I have managed to have a period every month without fail, and even bleed when I have been put on drugs to stop the bleeding. I also have other issues as well.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2008 at 12:59am
i have the cyst but i dont have ally the symtoms that most pcos women have i had 3 periods in my lifetime as ii sed at age of 21 i have only had acne once i have upper lip hair that my m8 also has who hasnt got pcos think thats coz of my hair colouring im very dark i also had blonde hair on my chin that came back dark when i started shaving and waxing and it only afew hairs so im not sure thats to do with my pcos i dnt have a hairy chest but have have a few hairs on my nipples, im not really that hairy like a male would be.i dont have thinning hair either which im thankfull for. i dont know wot the diffrence is between cyst and the syndrome but i deffiantly do have cyst on my ovaries well one of my ovaries now since i put 2 and a half stone on. i never bother with reading websites bout pcos or anything im taking a chance here even coz i just seem so diffrent to most pcos thin so it could it be insulin resistance? i dont know. and since putting weight on one of my ovaries as healed so i dnt see how going on metformin can help thats why i came off nof them but not spoke to hospital bout it yet. got hospital 9th july. i do have a bit of a belly but thats only since piling on the pounds never had it b4 and i dnt have problems losing weight only reason i havent got rid of my belly yet is coz im scared it will do more harm to my ovaries so im kind of deliberately keeping it. but my legs and arms r still slim hardly any meat on them but more meat on them than i had before when i looked anerexic which i wasnt btw. just so confusing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2008 at 1:03am
another thing my docter told me i have a higher hormone level of testorone and low eastrogan which is why my ovaries arnt working properly but he said that its good that they are doing "something" god knows wot that means wot u all think?
fiona_kane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiona_kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2008 at 1:43pm
Ok
Well when I was trying to conceive I was on Metformin and clomiphene too... but I process sugar fine... I did some research (cos I can't leave things I don't understand alone) and apparently that is because the two drugs work well together? Kind of went over my head a bit. As soon as I conceived I stopped both.

I was borderline anorexic when I was at school, but I have always had a baby pot belly! No matter how much exercise I do it stays, I just end up skinny everywhere else.... I'm at a healthy weight now, but if I don't eat enough I loose it really quick (breastfeeding has also meant eating more to keep my weight on).
PCOS means you produce more male hormone (hence the thinning hair, gaining hair, acne etc). There's not much you can do about that... So I guess your doctors happy that you are producing some levels of estrogen?

The whole PCOS hormone thing is confusing, the best way is to just read as much as you can from a variety of sources.
Know happiness is with us always, but never always with us.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2008 at 3:43pm

I had all my hormone levels tested a few months ago and I have too much estrogen and too much testorone and not a lot of progesterone (it is amazing that I have 2 children because of my progesterone levels). I have come to realise that everyone is different with it, as I have the hair problem (both hair falling out on my head, and it growing on my body) but I don't have acne. I know that when I am finished making babies (hopefully in 2010) I am getting all the bits removed.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Kiwibubs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwibubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 4:27pm
Hi ladies,
I dont ovulate and have all the usual symptoms of PCOS but before I finally got pregnant with IVF, I did put on like a 'spare tyre' around my waist. I was always so tiny around that area, and noticed a huge difference over only a few months....

I have all the usual symptoms:
-Acne
-Hair growth
-Weight around the middle
-No periods

Good luck!
TTC #1 2005-2009 (PCOS)
Clomid x 4
IVF #1-BFP!
EDD- New Years Eve 2008!!
DD born 11 January 2009.
TTC #2 FET (3 embryos)

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2008 at 10:21pm
I'm like Becks, I've got really low progesterone levels so I'm very lucky that I conceived. I have normal testosterone levels yet still have the syndrome (which has confused many doctors). I have the thinning on top, growing everywhere else and bad acne.

Even when I'm slim I have a belly.

SerennaM - do you just have one cyst? Because if you have one they don't class that as PCO. But you can have PCOS without PCO IYKWIM. My cousin doesn't have lots of cysts, only one, yet she has the syndrome.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 12:29am
Emz i do have pcos but on one ovary (only since putting on weight, b4 i had them on both) and i must have the syndrome coz i still dont have periods. I dont really understand the diffrence between having the cyst and syndrome either or if you know what i mean but what all do know is i dont have many of the symtoms thats is meant to be with the pcos. I have been hospital 9th july 08 and i asked about the insulin resisitance and he said i have it but only a little bit compared to other pcos women who r probably bigger than me. But anyway im being transferred to a gynocologist and am meant to be having a clomid induction whatever that is. Good luck to all u ladies who are having the same problems I feel all the same pain and disapointments.
 Post Reply Post Reply