FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTTC advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
robyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TTC advice
    Posted: 21 March 2006 at 11:30am
Hi ladies. Im hoping you guys might be able to help. My friend is trying to get pregnant and came off the pill about 6 months ago and has not had regular periods, they can be up to 8 weeks apart. She has had a scan and has signs of edometrosis and is waiting for an appointment with the hospital but in the meantime I said she might want to figure out if she is ovulation at all but I never had to do the whole temperature thing, just know you take it in the morning and all the websites we have looked at are a bit confusing and give different advice. Im sure the info is on a thread here but I dont know where to start. Is anyone able to give us a basic run down on what your temp should be and when you are ovulating etc or even a website that you know is correct and useful. Thanks
KOBE born 19 March 2004

Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2006 at 12:35pm
Ok, basically you take your temp with a special thermometer called a BBT or fertility thermometer (from a chemist). You take it at the same time every day, as soon as you wake up, before you get out of bed, have a drink of water etc. I used to set the alarm to go off at 6am so that I got my temp at the same time every day and then go back to sleep until Maya woke up.

Then you plot them on a graph (which comes with the thermometer, or try the online version at www.fertilityfriend.com) Basically what you should see if you are ovulating is a series of low temps early in your cycle, followed by a sudden rise and a series of higher temps. The day that you see a temp rise means that you have ovulated the day before. Some people get a slight dip on the day they ovulate and then a sharp rise te following day confirms it.

There are no right or wrong temps, basically when you look at the chart as long as you see two clear, separate phases you can be sure you are ovulating.

Also, disrupted sleep, sleeping with your mouth open etc. can affect your temps too.

I found www.fertilityfriend.com to be the best source of info.

Hope this isn't too complicated! the thermometers (mine cost $20) come with full instructions too.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Phat_Cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phat_Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2006 at 10:19am

< language=> I belong to Fertility Friend also & have found this site to be a mine of helpful information. Sometimes it can take up to a year to 18 months after stopping the BCP until the body adjusts and gets back to normal.

Another way of telling if you are coming up to ovulate is with ovulation predictor kits (OPK's) you can get them off trademe for a reasonable price & they have also bought out saliva ones which are reuseable (and also found on trademe) which can predict ovualtion as well. Insructions on how to use them come with them & they are very easy to use.

I dont know if you already know this but the best time in which to concieve is in the "3 day fertile window" this is 3 days PRIOR to ovulation. once you know when you ovualte it is essentail to get as much "bonding" in as possible in the 3 days to maximise your chances of conceiveing. Also they say if you are wanting a particular sex then for the 3-4 days prior to ovualtion is "bond for a girl" and on the day before, day of ovulation & day after for a boy. Whether this therory is accurate (and you need to have a great understanding of your cycels) is anyones guess.

Hope this info is helpful

Tristen - 24/06/07
Rylan - 11/12/08
Angel Babies -14/08/05 & 21/01/2010
Curtis - 26/02/12
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2006 at 8:19pm
Also, the only way you can confirm ovulation is that there has to be 6 lower temperatures followed by 3 higher temperatures- unless this happens then you haven't ovulated. Lots of people think that if they have had fertile mucus and maybe O pain followed by a temp spike then they have o'd but the rise has to last for 3 days or it doesn't count.
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

robyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2006 at 8:25pm
cool thanks guys, Ive passed that all on to my friend. I have been trying to get her to buy one of those reusable tests off trade me, they are a good price aye, we just werent sure if they were any good.
As for the time of conception to the sex of baby, well it worked for us but that could jsut be good luck
KOBE born 19 March 2004

Post Reply Post Reply