FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNo friends at kindy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tinytawnykitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tinytawnykitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No friends at kindy
    Posted: 25 July 2008 at 5:55pm
My DS who has just turned 4, has been at kindy since Feb this year and he still doesn't have any friends there. He is quite a shy little boy but boisterous as ever at home with the other children, two of whom are his best friends (I am a home-based carer). He does adore two of the kindy teachers though. But it just breaks my heart the thought of him being friendless. As a result I am pretty sooky about taking him to kindy. He usually doesn't want to go, and while I always encourage him to go, if he is really upset I don't make him go. He didn't go all this week cos he has a chest infection. He has now gotten into morning kindy 5 days a week which terrifies me. He starts in September and the thought of it has me in tears. Pathetic I know. But when I was a child, I didn't really have any friends for my first year of primary school and it was awful.

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 6:18pm
i am pretty sure that at the afternoon sessions my son never really had any friends either... it wasnt till he got older and could play with other kids instead of alongside them that he got into a "group"... the kindy teachers should be encouraging him to make friends and involve him in group activities. i would talk to them and see what they say - they can be quite helpful, even for out of kindy matters, i have found.    

2bmumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bmumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 7:50pm
DS1 goes to montessori where he calls anyone who talks to him his 'friend'. Yet he is still not at a stage of playing with kids, simply preferring to do his own thing. He's 3 yrs 8mnths so maybe its a age and stage thing.
Sara

Corban (22/11/04)
Connor (18/04/06)
Chelsea (21/05/08)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 8:00pm
I think it might be a tricky age to make friends, maybe your son prefers small groups of friends instead of the larger dynamics at kindy? Could you invite one or two of the other boys home after kindy or on the weekends (etc) for playdates every now and then to boost his confidence with other kids?
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2008 at 9:58pm
sarah never really had any friends at kindy either, shed kind of just talk to anyone really or just do her own thing, i think kindy is alot different for making friends than school , as at school there kind of forced to with being in the same class etc but at kindy they all just really do their own thing.

you could help encourage him when you drop him off tho i guess if you said something like " ohh look what that boys doing/painting/playing" whats his name? he looks like a friendly boy,why dont you ask if you can join in?"
theese are the kind of things i said to sarah to encourage her, i also found as horrible as it was if i stayed because i was worried she was more focused on me than anything else.

even have a talk to the teachers about it and they will try and make sure hes having a good time and try and encourage him , they come accross things like that all the time (so my mum says)

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
 Post Reply Post Reply