FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBrand new to cloth nappies.. help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alianasmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alianasmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new to cloth nappies.. help!
    Posted: 28 July 2008 at 5:29pm
I have been using disposables for the last 2 1/2years on the boy and now my lil princess is here i am looking at a ridiculously large nappy bill, not to forget smelly rubbish bin and massive amounts of landfill.
My son is refusing to be potty trained now that the little one is here. I am sure he will do it in his own time though.
I am not sure where to start with MCN but i have done some research on the different types and cant decide between fitted or pocket nappies.
Miss Aliana is a reasonably chubby baby (9lb 2oz homebirth!) and her thighs are growing daily. Can anyone recommend me their favorite nappies. I am quite interested in the honeychilds and bum genius.
I dont know much about liners and inserts but i guess i will learn quickly.
I really wish i was told about MCN when my boy was a baby, they need a bit more media attention i think.
Sponsored Links

Tweedle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweedle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 5:47pm
Hi

Yay! for considering cloth! Pocket nappies dry much faster than fitted nappies so that can be an advantage - but it does depend on what you prefer and what suits your bub!

bumGenius! are a great one-size nappy (they come with 1 insert & 1 booster) so they may work for your son and your daughter. Honeychild nappies are sized so you will need to purchase more as baby grows. Some people find they get a better fit from 'sized' nappies but it all comes down to what suits you and your baby best.

I would recommend perhaps purchasing 1 of each of the brands you like the look of, try them out then decide which suits.

Best of luck
Mum to Ellie, Dylan & Lauren
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 5:50pm
that reminds me when we had our second baby and i had them both in disposables (there is an 18 mth difference between them) and we were putting out a whole extra rubbish bag worth of disposables... yuck!!! alright.

i think pockets or fitteds is a personal choice...

i was telling my hubby last night i was over the whole nappy thing and feel like just getting AIO (all in ones) and fitteds for nights and all itti bitti brand nappies. these are sold at mothers instinct.

some of my fave pockets tho are wigglebums and baby harmony - both nz made - fave fitteds are snazzipants - again nz made - and itti bitti boos (ozzie made). also napnaps are a great kiwi made fitted but people seem to either love or hate them.

oh and if you want one size i think yo yo nappies are great - once again kiwi made, can you tell i like kiwi made?!

there is a list of kiwi nappy sellers stickied in the cloth section... along with lots of other good stuff too.   

Edited by Bizzy

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 7:05pm
Hi there - YAY FOR CLOTH is right! (just think of the money you'll save from the disposables and can spend on pretty dresses for Aliana )

I'm Toni, the Honeychild agent for Oh Baby so if you were interested in the trial nappy PM me.

I also had a chubster. Caitlin was 9lb 7oz and had those gorgeous chubby rolly thighs . We've found that Honeychild have been perfect for her from when she went through a very heavy wetting stage when she was about 10mths to now when we only need them for nights as she's dry in the day.
You could try a medium nappy and try that on both kids, it might be a bit on the large side for bubs but you can add more inserts to bulk it up until it fits better. That way you'll only need one size of nappy for both, saves you heaps that way. Our mediums fit from 5-10kg but that's only a guide, best way is to try the nappy on to make sure it fits right. We have a 30 day "use as much as you want" money back guarentee, that's on top of our 1 year warranty

Let me know if you have anymore questions
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 7:12pm

I use pockets, the old style Fuzzis and one my mum has made and I love them. Josh went into cloths at 5 months and we haven't looked back. He went straight into mediums and at 17 months and 15 odd kgs is sitll fitting them well.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 8:20pm
I was in your situation about 6 weeks ago and was so confused about it all.

I second the recommendation that you buy 1 of each nappy you like the look of or have been recommended by the lovely oh baby ladies/cloth gurus and try them out. I did this and found the brands that worked for me and then sold the ones that didn't so i could buy more of the ones that worked. As you will have only used them a few times they will sell well and yous houldn't lose too much on them..

I now only have the itti bitti snap ins and a couple of fuzzi's. I sold my BG, Honeychild and Drybe as they just didn't work for us but obviously work really well for others as they sold within about 2 hours of putting them on here

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 8:26pm

Yeah def get one of each and see what works. I was lucky enough to have a friend on here who had heaps of different types already so I got to "try before I brought".

Getting a demo done would def help.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2008 at 8:50am
Welcome to the world of cloth! I too didn't discover modern cloth nappies until I had my second baby and felt 'if only I'd known!!!' too

I second what the others have said about buying a couple of different types of nappies to try out as everyone seems to have a different favourite. I haven't used cloth on a newborn (my son was 5mths old when we switched from disposables) but brands that I've tried & would recommend are:

Fuzzi Bunz (probably small for your daughter and medium or large for your son, depending on his size),

Honeychild (try medium on both - although my 13kg 23mth old wears a large),

BumGenius V3 one-size (you'll probably need both inserts for your son and possibly the bigger size insert for your daughter as the 'newborn' insert is really only the size of a booster)

Itti Bitti D'lish (possibly medium for your daughter and large for your son. I can't vouch for poo containment on a newborn but they would be a lovely trim option on your son)

Foxybots (small for your daughter & large for your son - they're gorgeous fabrics with generous pockets for stuffing, esp overnight).

Have fun shopping and don't hesitate to pop back on here for advice if you have any problems - we love talking about nappies

Vic xx
 Post Reply Post Reply