FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLadies with PCOS..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MelanieAndBree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ladies with PCOS..
    Posted: 10 August 2008 at 10:17am

This isnt for me, but my bestfriend has found out she may have PCOS.

I was just wondering how hard is it to get pregnant when you have it??

I know pretty much nothing about it aye.

Melanie.
Mum to Briahna Robyn, 3yrs
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 10:27am

It depends on if she has the sydrome and/or the cysts??

I have both and managed to get pregnant both times fine.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 10:48am

Okay, well we arent sure yet. She has the symptoms of PCOS but is going for a scan in like 4 months. Ridiculous! should be quicker than that!

She was really upset cause she thought she wouldnt be able to get pregnant.

Melanie.
Nefertiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nefertiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 12:49pm
I have a friend who has PCOS (i dont know about the diff between syndrome and cysts?? as mummy_becks said) bu she has mentioned cysts before.
Anyway...she got pregnant once, then after that was finding it difficult to fall preg again, and I think it was then that she found out. After medication she got pregnant with twins. Has since gone on to have 2 more children without any medication although still has pcos.

So there is hope :)
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 3:55pm
I fell pregnant first pop basically but it was the first time I ever ovulated so was just good timing really. I have anovulation from PCOS (don't ovulate or ovulate very infrequently).

You can have the cysts and/or syndrome like Becks said, I have both. One of the effects of PCOS is having low progesterone which can lead to a higher rate of m/c or prem labour (found that out when I starting having contractions at 26w).

It really all depends on whether she ovulates or not. Does she get periods? If so, at least that's a lot better than a lot of women who don't even get that. Good luck to her though, I hope she doesn't have it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 7:34pm

Can she pay to have the scan done privately?? as that is a long wait for a scan.

Yeah also what other symptoms of PCOS does she have??

I have the classics overweight, hair growing where it should  and the low progesterone, but I don't have the classic acne or missed period I bleed almost all the time.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 7:48pm

sshe has those too becks + acne. But she doesnt get her period she said the last time she had it was about 7 months ago!

I dont think she can afford it at the moment otherwise she would have.

Melanie.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 8:21pm

I would say she does have it from my knowledge of it and living with it.

Just a note thou, My gyne could never see the cysts on my left side on the scan, it wasn't till he opened me up that he saw them. But my right side cysts could be seen on the scan.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 9:09pm

Okay cool thanks Becks.

So would you say that most people with this have gone on to have kids? At least one kid anyways? I know she wants a few hehe. I guess the biggest prob would be if she doesnt ovulate or something?

I felt bad and said i will give her mine lol

Melanie.
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 9:33pm
There are so many meds and interventions out there that just because she has PCOS (if she has) does not in any way mean she can't have kids. It can sometimes mean that women have difficulty having kids, and yeah some can't (just like anyone without PCOS). I think its something like only 30% of women with PCOS actually have a lot of trouble conceiving.
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 12:06pm
i have PCOS and endo...both my brats were conceived first pop so i was really lucky. my dr told me to wait 6mths and if we hadn't got a BFP within that time frame then i was to go back and see him for some help.

so, tell her not to panic she may not have any trouble conceiving (if she does have PCOS)and as emz said, there's so much that can be done to help these days

nellybelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nellybelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 2:01pm
I went on Metformin through my GP for PCOS and finally went along to a fertility clinic appointment, not knowing that I was actually preggers at the appt!

But potentially PCOS might have been the cause of losing that babe and another this year too. It's hard to get definite answers, especially with a syndrome like PCOS where the symptoms are different for everyone and can have different effects.

Best of luck for your friend melanieandbree. I would have thought her GP could start some kind of treatment before the scan, like Met. 4 mnths is ages to wait.

Edited by nellybelly
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 8:11pm
I have PCOS and fell pregnant naturally. My gynae in SA said she had a few patients and about 80% got pregnant naturally within a year or two. The biggest thing is if you are overweight is to try and lose a bit of weight. Easier said than done when you have PCOS but just a 5% loss and your hormones will be in a better place.

That is the best thing you can literally do. Is to lose a little bit of weight and to check your glucose levels and not to eat too many sugary stuff. (almost go on a diabetic friendly diet.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 8:31pm

You all have been really helpful. Thanks alot!!  

Ill be sure to get all this info to her!

Melanie.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nellybelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 4:29pm
let us know how she gets on!
almostthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almostthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 11:39am
I have been diagnosed with PCOS too..
annovulation, i now have acne popping up, horrible! My weight is fine though, but last cycle was 63 days and af was brought on by provera.. Now am on metformin, and gee whiz! im a T1 diabetic as well, so i can honestly say it does wonders for insulin resistance lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nellybelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 10:05am
insulin resistance is supposed to be a big part of PCOS I think, not fully sure about the connection even though I've read heaps about it! In one eye and out the other lol!

Apart from the fertitlity stuff, it's the skin part of of PCOS that drives me up the wall. Even though my acne's pretty mild really and I should feel lucky about that, I am so jealous of people with beautiful gorgeous skin!

Did start getting hair loss too, but getting preg seemed to fix that. Even after MC that symptom of PCOS hasn't returned thanks goodness. Am lucky I started out with extremely thick hair lol!

Hope metformin starts working well for you almostthere, I am sure it really helped to balance my body and make it more healthy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 10:10am

I have the hair loss as well, my hair is thinning out quite a lot now but it was a good thing I started with quite think hair too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nellybelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 10:59am
mummy_becks did that symptom change for you at all during/after pregnancy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 11:04am

More after the second pregnancy that I noticed the hair loss. I can pull heaps of strands out of my head at a time. All the other stuff (hair growing in places I don't need it, low progreserone) I have had since I was a teenager.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>