FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWorking on DBP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 11:52am
Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

Im obviously poor but not quite poor enough

Ahhh yes. The 'over the threshold but not enough to be financially worry free' position. Not a nice one to be in. The only thing I can say is that hopefully with the rise in the CPI over the last year that they will have to extend the WFF thresholds higher and you may get some assistance? Or whatever else to make life easier.
Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 11:53am
Thats a good idea Ginger ... have you thought of running for Prime Minister
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 11:56am
Originally posted by ginger ginger wrote:

Especially when many people in that position are like us and pay their own health insurance etc and therefore don't call on the system at all, have tight single-income budgets but are entitled to no assistance.

While I concede that you would call on the system less (especially if you use private education. Eeeeek), but I highly doubt you could get away with not calling on the system at all There are still roads that you drive on, for one. Law and order for another. Don't make me go on

(Love ya!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:01pm

eg. the husband works and earns $80,000 so is in the top tax bracket, the wife is a SAHM earning nothing. Income should be allocated as to $40,000 to the husband and $40,000 to the wife

I thought they did work it like this... as in the WFF is allocated on a 'family income'?

Or do you mean in regards to tax? Because that is quite a good idea!

ETA: I don't know enough about tax and financial stuff to say if there are problems with implementing this sort of thing but on a simple level it's good.

Edited by nikkiwhyte
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:02pm
Nikki - I think Ginger is referring to tax as WFF is done on "family income"

ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:02pm
Oh. Yeah. Doh Blame No.9. You know what I mean though - we give lots and a wee tax break to assit with things like health insurance payments (which mean, for example, the Govt didn't foot the $10K bill for my endo surgery) would be niiiiiice (although, having said that, the Govt DID foot the close to $20K bill by the time we finished for my IVF, so I'll shut the hell up now ..... )
Cuinn Lachlan 23.1.09 - 22:00
Antonia Helene 4.8.11 - 09:41
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:03pm

Thats a good idea Ginger ... have you thought of running for Prime Minister

I'd make an excellent Prime Minister. Free shoes for EVERYONE!!!
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:04pm
We'll say I'm referring to tax, because I don't know the first thing about WFF other than we're whistling in the wind hoping to qualify (and not coming within cooee )
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:05pm
On Gingers idea ..

I think it would take quite a bit to implement and could not quite see how they would work it on a payday to payday structure .. the only workable way I could see them doing it is on a rebate basis (which wouldnt help families with their day to day bills)

Although Im no tax expert .. so Im sure where there is a will there is a way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:07pm

Although Im no tax expert .. so Im sure where there is a will there is a way.

Ahhh but within government there is always a problem with the will part
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:11pm
Yes Ginger .. dont get me started on Govt funded IVF

(Not that I begrudge you for the help that you received - Im not as "set in my ideas" on that subject as I am with other welfare help lol)

On a side note ... the last election ACT was talking about giving tax breaks to those that paid their own way. To me if I dont think too in depth about it .. it seems like a good idea .. but then again id be too scared we would end up like the USA where those who cant afford health insurance dont get to see the doctor

Hence why I have previously voted Labour (oh and on that note - Helen trains at the same gym as me at the same time .. maybe I should mention her WFF package sucks!)

MelanieAndBree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:31pm

Originally posted by MelanieAndBree MelanieAndBree wrote:

Yess.. exactly. Im on a budget, and most weeks i can barely afford to get food for myself let alone pay off a loan. I too havnt bought any thing for my self since before Briahna was born!

If i relied on a job and didnt get any kind of "special treatment" as some seem to think it is then id never have the time or money to do any study as my pay would be going straight on child care, loans, rent, bills and neither me or my child would be able to eat. So my study to further my education and get a better paying job just wouldnt happen.

I too have those problems .. and will never be able to upskill unlike those who receive this "not special treatment"

Nikki ...

Before I had Isabelle ... I was completely for helping out those in need and even though under another government I would have been better off I always supported Labour as they helped those who needed it.

HOWEVER now that I have Isabelle and see all the help that goes to "those in need" I think hell ... I could do with a helping hand too but Im obviously poor but not quite poor enough

Pearls ... your Dad is/was a

Im always amazed how people cope without family nearby... Ive supported my brother when he needed help .. My brother and I supported Mum and Dad when they were in need .. and now my brother and my parents help DH and I ... its just sad that those people who dont have family near (those on working visas for example) dont get any help when things get tough. (Which I dont understand .. they pay tax too).

So you people with your partners and 2 incomes should get all the help you want and then us singles should get nothing.

Will you be happy then?

I HAVE to rely on this so called special treatment because without it id be SCREWED. You dont have it.. are you completly screwed? can you not afford rent, or anything? NO. Can you feed and clothe your child? Obviously, otherwise you wouldnt be sitting here on a computer using the internet.

If i didnt get my special treatment, i would be.

I didnt ASK to be a single mother on the benefit. I didnt tell my ex to piss off and leave me like this. So quit moaning about what your not getting and think yourself lucky you have a god damn partner to help support you and your family.

Melanie.
Mum to Briahna Robyn, 3yrs
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:37pm
Ah Mel, no one thinks that someone in need should be left on a kerb-side. What upsets many is those who take advantage, or take the system for a ride eg. someone claiming the DPB, but living with a partner on the quiet, or someone on a sickness benefit who is working for cash, people on unemployment for no reason other than it is an 'easy' option, or girls who have babies to collect the DPB (there ARE those out there) and so they can stay home.

It's that everyone can hit tough times, regardless of incomes. And don't forget - two incomes doesn't necessarily mean a big income.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:38pm
Hey Mel... I'm not sure she's attacking you personally. I think anyone would be hard pressed to say that the system is perfect and that is what Julia is getting at.

And as far as I know it, Julia headed back to work fairly early on in Isabelle's life... probably exactly for those reasons that you mentioned.
ohanlon82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohanlon82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:42pm

totally agree Ginger - it is the people that are taking advantage of the system that i dont like..

http://lb2f.lilypie.com/TikiPic.php/RPaODBg.jpg
ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:44pm
I also have a little cry when I see that DH's tax is almost the same as my salary
ohanlon82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohanlon82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:45pm

I also have a little cry when I see that DH's tax is almost the same as my salary

ha ha yeah i am the same
http://lb2f.lilypie.com/TikiPic.php/RPaODBg.jpg
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:49pm
Yep it was nothing personal ... Im just saying that you HAVE the choice to upskill and the government will fund it for you ... as a working person I dont.

And Im not sure where you get the impression that our house is a two income household .. its not ... its a one income household supporting two adults and a child without any form of assistance like what you are entitled to.

I had no choice but to go back to work as unlike you I cant go on the DPB (unless I throw my husband out).

And im sitting on the internet because im at work and they pay for the connection

ginger View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:50pm

I cant go on the DPB (unless I throw my husband out).

It's tempting to though sometimes huh?

ETA - Throw them out, that is

Edited by ginger
BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 12:52pm
I'm sure two incomes beats the amount us solo mothers have to live on. I don't know who's given you the idea that we get a large amount, most solo mothers only get around 15-20 grand per year after tax, and after you've paid rent/board and what not there's sh*t all left for food. That's to support both mother AND baby. I'm sure the average income is much much higher.

And yes it does get hard without the support of a partner, I live with my parents and as much as they love Lucas they don't help out all that much. I have to beg and plead for them to give me a break, spend quality time with him for just 10 mins a day - heck I had my tonsils out and that night I get home (to be quite frank I didn't like leaving him with my parents and they wanted me to come home) and they are telling me I chose to keep bub therefore I have to learn to live like a solo mother and do it all on my own. I have not rested since, I'm waking up every 2 hours of a night to b/feed, STILL have him with me 24/7 despite being in total and utter pain and being told to rest up after the op. I get told to stop complaining all the time. Not once have I gone out with a friend or had any kind of a social life since having him. I will forever have my 'choice' thrown in my face by my parents.

Sorry turning into a rant all about me, but seriously we don't get everything handed to us on a silver platter as some of you suggest.

ETA: I'm sure even ONE income beats what we get ....sorry I took ages to type this out.

Edited by Mum2Lucas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>