FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWorking on DBP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working on DBP
    Posted: 11 August 2008 at 10:27am

Working for DBP

I thought you already had to do this when your youngest child turned 6 and you were on the DBP??? Maybe I thought wrong???

I hope they don't try and bring back that green thing when if you were on the Unemployment benefit you have to work 20 for an extra $20 a week, that was so stupid.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Sponsored Links

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 11:33am
Nope, not currently in practice. Nats have been talking about it for a long time.

They might encourage it but it is definitely not an obligatory thing.
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 12:13pm
i just did an essay on the labour led government and this whole 'making people work for their benefit' goes back such a long way and personally i think its good in a way but i dont like it! not that im on bene but i think its going to cause a bit of panic
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 12:18pm
I personally think that unless you are disabled, ill etc then you should work to get the money instead of getting a free ride. They could have everyone on DPB out painting over tagging or picking up litter, I'm sure it would encourage most to go and get a better job. Better still bring back work houses.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 12:54pm
I work , think if i didnt id get too bored after a while anyway !
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 1:04pm
I also thought that once your kid turned 6 you didnt get the DBP anymore. Now I find out that is not true it made me more angry. I know plenty of solo mums that work and there kid is under 6, if some can do it why cant others.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 1:09pm

Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

I personally think that unless you are disabled, ill etc then you should work to get the money instead of getting a free ride. They could have everyone on DPB out painting over tagging or picking up litter, I'm sure it would encourage most to go and get a better job. Better still bring back work houses.

Yeah fine if you are on the DBP and your children are at school but not when you have a baby.

For people on the UB yes they should be out there doing something.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 1:15pm
Yeah I wouldn't expect someone with a new baby to have to work that's what the etc as there to cover, although I do question how or why they end up in that situation in the first place.

I don't know the difference between DPB and UB

BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

Umm I'm on the DPB so does that mean I'm getting a free ride?

I agree that once your child is in school you should get off your butt & be back working or at least studying .... If it wasn't for the DPB I wouldn't be able to start studying from home full-time next year AND continue to raise my son at the same time.

I want to give him a good life & be able to support him (financially speaking), I also want to bond with him & teach him all I can (and make the most of) these first few years and not just go chucking him into a daycare while I go out and slave away in some minimum wage job only to earn the same amount as I would if I was to stay home with him on dpb. By the time he's at Kindy/school I DO intend to be working full time or at least finishing off my studies so I can work in my chosen career. I'd be bored sh*tless if I was to stay at home by myself lol

I do agree though that there shouldn't be the unemployment benefit, unless disabled, ill or a valid reason why one cannot work etc these people should be out trying to find jobs - THEY are the ones getting a free ride. Not mothers on the DPB who actually give two stuffs about their childrem & are trying to give them a good start.

Edited by Mum2Lucas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 1:25pm
I think cuppatea may be referring more to the Unemployment Benefit (UB) rather than the Domestic Purposes Benefit (DPB)

DPB is for single mothers and it provides them with a meagre income so they may stay home and look after their kiddos. Extra assistance is available to study as well as the usual add-ons.

I was on the DPB from when Hannah was born til the start of this year while I finished studying and couldn't have survived without it. But at the same time, it wasn't that great to live on. The shame and guilt as well as the fact that it is feck all money.

At the time I felt like I was getting heaps and probably more than I should have been for not doing anything, but now I consider those years pretty hard on the money front. It was enough for day to day living etc, but there was no way I could have ever gotten ahead IYKWIM. I had enough savings to deal with a minor disaster and had my parents' support if things really went wrong but would never have been able to sustain living on there for longer than I did. As it was I was heading into major debt and if I didn't start working and paying it off then I'd have been in trouble in a few months.

Anywayyyyy ramble over. Just been on my mind the last while

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 1:29pm

Updated

Nothing new this was their last policy when they were in government in 1996. I don't believe they should be making all people on the invalids and sickness benefits get work. My DH was on th sickness benefit for 5 months last year. He could leave the house for 4 of those months without me, there is no way he could of worked.

The DPB is for families who don't work (there are some couples on it), but is usually for solo mums.

The UB is for people who don't work but can - those are the ones that should be out there getting a job.

MelanieAndBree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 2:20pm

I think that is good (making those on dpb with children 6 or over work). My friend(if i want to call her that) is so lazy and hasnt had a job since she was about 15. Shes 22 and her daughter is now 4. It would make people like her get off their fat arses and do something.

Although knowing her she would probably have another kid so she could stay at home.

Melanie.
Mum to Briahna Robyn, 3yrs
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 5:16pm
Yep i was thinking more UB, I didn't realise that DPB is a seperate category of benefits.

I don't see why couples can be on it though, only one needs to be at home full time, so either one should work or they should both work part time. I'm in two minds about the amount of help single mums get, on one hand women that find themselves on their own do need the helping hand and should be able to make the choice to be at home with their child, but on the other lots of hardworking couples both have to work cos they can't afford to live any other way and then there are those women that just get knocked up so they don't have to work and can get a free ride.

The paying for single mums to study annoys me as well, I want to retrain but I have to take out a student loan or pay for it myself. I am having to go the student loan route as we don't have any extra money, we won't get any help with childcare etc, how is that fair? Yes people need a helping hand to get in a better situation it just annoys me that if you are married or in a relationship and you have made sure you are fairly financially secure before having children that you get nothing.

Me and DH would be better off if we just got divorced and then I dated him instead.

BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 6:01pm
i get what ya mean cuppatea, sometimes i feel like working couples should have a bit more help with things but i can see it from other points of views in that i think its great that single mums can take things into their own hands and pave a good life for themselves.

I dont think there should be an unemployment or at least not a permanant one - temporary maybe because some people do find it harder to find a job in a short span of time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 6:03pm

Me and my friend have this idea that you should only be on the UB for 6 months of the year and that is it.

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 8:17pm
I'm with you on this one cuppatea, sure there are situations where being on a benefit can help, but why should single parents get extra help for study etc, when couples don't it isn't any easier financially supporting a family.

I would love to be able to stay home until my children go to school and get assistance to study to improve my employment opportunities, but in order to do that I have to pay for it all myself because I'm married.

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 8:44pm

Thats crap. Maybe you should get some sort of extra help, but are you saying that i should get nothing and struggle to live and feed my daughter with just one income? Are you saying if you were a single mother you wouldnt want any help with anything?

And are you also saying that if i just worked and studied and got no help id be able to live comfortably?

sh*t, I would love to not have to rely on a benefit to help me live/ pay for my study.

Realistically its not gonna happen.

Melanie.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 8:56pm

sorry got carried away, but seriously. How is it not easier financially supporting a family with 2 incomes coming in as opposed to my one?

And what about those single parents with more than one kid? How are they meant to afford to live etc if they, like you, got no extra help?

Isnt there that working for families thing anyways?? Isnt that extra help for FAMILIES? as in those married with kids? Or am i wrong?

Melanie.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 9:23pm
I disagree with you both Fleury and cuppatea and will choose to believe you are making those statements because you don't have the full information about how the system works. I'm also not just defending the scheme because I was the recipient of the money

Let me explain here that you can only receive the study grant for undergrad study if you haven't received a qualification in the last 5 years... and that it doesn't cover all fees/childcare/transport/associated study costs. It is a set amount per year and you can choose to have a certain amount on your fees and then some each week to pay for aforementioned study costs etc

But anyway, it is an investment in getting women OFF the DPB and keeping them off. And while it may cost an extra couple of thousand for a couple of years, it is long term saving money for the government/tax payers by allowing solo parents to get qualified and return to the workforce sooner.

I think as far as making judgements on who should or shouldn't receive money or who should have waited to have children and not got themselves in that situation in the first place, it is very easy to judge standing back but if you consider each and every single mum who has been able to use the DPB to get themselves to a better place in what is usually quite a crappy situation, then I doubt you'd be able to easily deny any one of them.

I do completely agree that it is hard work for couples and I feel really terrible for those who are trying to study and having to really struggle to do so. I am totally for a universal student allowance to be available to make it easier.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 9:36pm
I agree with Nikki. I was on the DPB from when Maya was born until Dec '04. In that time (about 20 mths) I finished the last 12 months of my degree, started a postgrad and found a job. The extra financial assistance I got to help with my studies and help with childcare costs is the only reason I managed to do that, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford to finish the degree that I was 2/3 of the way thru (and had already spent around $18k on) which ultimately enabled me to get the job. Yeah I could have gotten a job at Woolies with no qualifications but in terms of setting an example for my kids and raising them to aspire for more in their lives than government assistance finishing my studies was a far better long term option.

I agree with the starting work when your youngest kid is six thing in theory, in practise you'll just get people having more babies so they don't have to work which is what happened last time they had that policy.

What I'd really like to see is more cracking down on DPB fraud - people who live with their partners and still claim the DPB - and on women who continue having more children while on the DPB. If you're a solo parent and relying on a benefit to survive you *don't* have the right to keep having more babies at the taxpayers expense.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>