FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp! Threat of Induction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Threat of Induction
    Posted: 20 August 2008 at 10:18am
I'm sure that there are a million posts about this but ...

Today is my due date and i've just got back from seeing my OB who is talking induction. No date has been set yet but i'm really keen to avoid this and am just hoping for some advice on things to try to speed baby along naturally
Sponsored Links

Helen21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 11:52am
I went overdue with both of mine which drove me crazy. I did everything anyone suggested and with my first daughter I was dragged along on a very long walk over some pretty steep hills at a fast pace when I was 10days overdue. I think I walked for around 90mins and drank a ton of water. I went into labour 4 and a half hours later. I had also been drinking two cups of raspberry leaf tea a day.

With my second I had beed having contractions for 2weeks and only dialated 2cm so my wife suggested lots of sex and walks so I did both of those for a few days but when things didn't happen I demanded a sweep of my cervix and 2 hour later I was in strong labour. I think a sweep only works if your cervix is ripe but there is something in semen that can help ripen the cervix.

Goodluck!

Chloe 12/7/03
Miya 5/11/05
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 12:03pm
Zebra often people go into labour the night before you are due to be induced. It is often that people go over due with there babies so try not to worry to much about the induction just focus on keeping yourself ready for labour to arrive.
I was looking like I was going to need to be induced but DS came before it was needed and I think that is the case with a lot of people on here.
Sending labour vibes your way. Hope it all happens soon.

Nefertiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nefertiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 12:40pm
I've been induced for 2 of my 3 births. And found that I actually liked the 'formality' of induction. And I actually didnt notice that my contactrations were 'harder and faster' as some describe, and that was probably because with my 2nd birth it was very fast also, and that was natural and also 4 days overdue.

So having had 2 inductions, without any bad experiences, all I can say is don't worry. Hard I know. But obviously I can't give anything 'bad' to say because it was a normal birth like my natural one.

Good luck.
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 12:54pm
Thanks ladies

I guess one of the things that worries me about being induced is being restricted to lying down even during the initial stages of labour
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 1:18pm
Hi Zebra,

With my DD they wanted to Induce me on my due date...I was like why?? They said because of my BP history etc...I sooooo didnt want that either. 28th MW did a sweep and I came home and went for a looooong walk at the botanical garden, my Contractions started on the 29th and ended up with CS on 31st (my dues date).

So yah ask your MW to do a sweep, go for a walk, do the "naughty" if you can manage it.

Good luck!!

Nefertiti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nefertiti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 1:48pm
Why will you be restricted to lying down?
I never was.
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 2:00pm
This is my first bub so have no helpful advice, only I hear bubs will come when ready and if there is no medical reason to be induced now it seems strange your MW would suggest it when your due date is today.

Most women go over their due date aswell.

Good luck with everything. Hope your bub will be here soon.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 2:52pm

You shouldn't be restricted with laying down, both times after my induction I went out walking (first time i did leave the hospital grounds, but that was to see my dad across the road) and it wasn't until I wanted to lay down that I did, then I was made to get up again. You will have some extra monitering with the CTG and it totally depends on how your labout goes if they need to continous moniter or not. My first needed continous montiering once I was in labout but my 2nd didn't.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 3:03pm
Try not to panic about it (easier said than done, I know), but most first babies arrive after their due date, and talk of induction at this point is more about scheduling, than anything else (unless there's a medical reason why bubs can't be allowed to go over 42wks... I don't know if this is the case for you or not). Ella arrived on the date of her induction booking but labour had begun 'naturally'... seems the threat of eviction is enough to get some babies out! Unless there's something else going on here, you've got 2 weeks grace here, during which bubs will hopefully decide to make a run for it. Hang in there!
Andie
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 4:07pm
I second what others have said. I was induced with my wee man at 38 weeks due to PE. I was monitored for 30mins after the gel was in place and then was allowed to go for a walk etc before needing to be back in the room 3 hours later for next lot of monitoring. Was then allowed to labour as wanted for a while until my BP got to high again and was then on constant monitoring for the last hour or so.

I LOVED my induction and am now scared of actually going into labour so each experience is def different.

Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 4:46pm
That's all so positive ladies. Thank you

Have since heard from my midwife and the OB has decided to book me in for induction on Tuesday next week. So baby has 5 days to get her butt into gear

The main reason is that my blood pressure has been up and down for the last few weeks and I guess they're worried i'll get toxic.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 5:43pm
I went 2 weeks over due I didnt want to be induced and I tried everything I could to make caden come but nope he was not gonna budge, so I was booked in for an induction on 24th June, I went into labour via waters breaking on the 21st and caden arrived by emergency c section the 23rd!

The threat of induction gets babies to come on their own lol i truely believe that now haha, everyone told me "now that you have an eviction date caden will come on his own" and he did! lol

Going over sucks, but your due today so there is hope for you yet that you wont go too far over Dont worry hun! I was hell bent that I did not want to be induced but by the time i got to 12 days overdue I didnt care and was SO glad when the OB booked my induction for the 24th.

Edited by CadensMum

xox6Girls1Boyxox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xox6Girls1Boyxox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 6:31pm

Hi there, I've had to be induced by one or the other methods with all my 6 pregnancies.  Re: being bed ridden, You'll only have to remain in bed if your induced with oxytocin coz you'll be hooked up to a drip. Have you had an internal done? mayb then MW or OB can check the position of your cervix to see if it's worthwhile doing a S&S but if your Cervix is not effacing it probably wont start anything.

Glad to hear you have a date booked for induction but maybe you could try some Loving (get DH to save up for a cople of days) or take a nice bath and a little bit of nipple stimulation, or nice walks but not to strenuous. It all comes down to your body being ready, I really hope Bubs decides to come out before the baliffs have to get involve in removing bubs from the property. All my little bundles didnt care how many eviction notices I gave them, they made me hang out to the bitter end....

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 6:35pm

I hope you don't get toxic, I did both times and it was not comfortable.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 8:07pm
And also... with natural births there's the threat of being stuck to the bed so an induction really shouldn't be feared. I went into labour naturally but was only at home for 45mins after my waters broke and contractions were heavy before having to go to the hospital for BP and heartrate monitoring and an epi so was strapped to the bed for most of my labour.
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2008 at 11:48am
It definitely seems like there are pros and cons either way and i'm pretty resigned to the fact that it's not exactly going be a pleasant experience! Worthwhile in the end though

Am getting really tired and over it now so i'm sure that if I make it to Tuesday i'll be more than happy for things to get started
 Post Reply Post Reply