FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedmaking up recipes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making up recipes
    Posted: 27 August 2008 at 9:11am

I had a really yummy lamb soup last week and thought I'd make it at home for DH and Michaela but when I searched online for a recipe I couldn't find one I like.  So I found the ingredients list for the soup I had last week and have estimated the quantities I'll require. 

Do you think this looks about right?

ingredients:
1 onion

2 cloves garlic

2 lamb shanks

5 cups Vege Stock

1 tin chopped tomatos

2 carrots (diced)

1 potato (diced)

1 kumara (diced)

1 tin white Beans (cannelloni or chickpea)

1 cup red wine

seasoning (as required)

cornmeal (to thicken)

Sponsored Links

Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 9:22am
I think the only thing you can do is try it and see what happens, I have lots of meals like this and they are different everytime as I adjust the seasoning or add something as a substitute.
You might invent a family recipe to hand down to Michaela, you never know. Sound delicious, i would just cook it low and slow and the lamb should just melt
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 9:43am

Mmmm, that's what I was thinking.  I'll sautee the garlic and onions, brown the lamb shanks then add everything else before I leave for church in the morning then just leave it simmering for the rest of the day so the meat is falling off the bone and the marrow has leaked out into the soup - yum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 1:01pm
MMmmmm can I come for my tea?
surfergirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 2:40pm
Sounds great...but i wonder if there is too much liquid...I'd (personally) halve the stock Or less?? 2 cups) and add an extra can of tomatoes.
I'm no pro, but I do cook a lot (and make stuff up)..
Love to hear how this works out!
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 2:48pm

I'd wondered about that too but then I looked at other soup recipes online and most used about 8 cups of liquid (then again I didn't check how much solid food they had in comparison).  I'll try halving the stock becuase I can always add more later if it's not enough. Thanks.

Claire, we should definitely do dinner in town sometime, when we welly girls manage to organise ourselves...... but no, you can't come for my lamb soup jic it's an utter disaster.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 2:54pm
Yep we should do dinner, nice to catch up with you while not refereeing my daughter in the playground. Rushing out now but I shall have a think about dates and see if we can come up with something in the next couple of weeks
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2009 at 11:29am

Bump for T

It was sooooo yummy!  In fact I have some lamb shanks in the freezer I may make it this weekend now the weather is cooling down again.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2009 at 6:23pm
Thanks Jo, looks yummy!! I'm considering throwing in a bit of chilli too just for fun
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2009 at 9:47am
That'd be very tasty!
 Post Reply Post Reply