FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaby proofing the deck

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby proofing the deck
    Posted: 25 September 2008 at 1:44pm
Hi

We need something to stop the little one from falling off the deck. See pic below.

We will sell our house in around 6-9mths, so don't really want anything too permanent or expensive. I've looked at plastic and wire netting, but was a bit concerned that she might climb it.

Do babies (eeek toddlers!) climb netting?

What did you use to baby proof your deck?

Ta
Deb
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 1:49pm
We have plastic netting on our gate from when we had a puppy and Daniel has never tried climbing it
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 2:44pm
We had the same dilemma and wanted something that wouldn't make the deck darker or change the look of it too much. My bright idea was to buy rolls of the stuff that is used as flyscreen on security doors. This stuff is strong like a thick wire mesh, doesn't go brittle from the sun and doesn't fall apart like the string type stuff.

It was attached using a builders staple gun and is definitely strong enough to hold the weight if a child fell against it. Of course I wouldn't leave her completely unsupervised or anything but she has never tried to climb or break the stuff in any way. Was relatively cheap..I think the rolls were about $30 each from Mitre10 Mega, plus the cost of the staple gun and galvanised staples.

This is a photo when we had done most of the deck, just hadn't done the gates at the time (but that is completed now too).. Totally worth it and no more stress about Alyssa falling through the gaps!

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 7:41pm
We have some wire netting on our deck - it has horizontal beams like yours and is on the top storey!! It looks like chicken wire but is the smaller size hole and is staple gunned on. Cost us less than $20 from memory.
Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 9:01pm
What about using that stuff the gardeners use for weed mats in the garden? it's thick enough that it wont rip and it will attach easily with a gun stapler or small nails
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2008 at 8:28am
We have wooden trellis around ours - Ella's never tried climbing it which is odd since she'll climb everything else! To make our house a little more marketable, DH designed the trellis to just slot in place along the very front of the deck, so it's only permanent around the sides. An adult can lift it out but a child can't, and that way we can also slot a piece over the entrance to the deck with the steps (it's at our front door, which faces a shared driveway), so in summer I can completely close it off and leave the door open. Handy!
Andie
DJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2008 at 10:32am
Thanks girls. That's handy, and I've showed DP your answers (since he will be the one doing it!)

Andie, I want to be able to leave the front door open safely too.
Pepsi, I hadn't thought of fly screen stuff - good idea.

I think we will need to use something that can't be climbed - it is a bit of a drop off the deck if she did make it up there.
Yesterday she made it right up on top of the coffee table (and she has only pulled herself up to standing a couple of times previously), so we may have a climber on our hands.
Sam_43xx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam_43xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2018 at 11:23am
HOw can I seen the photo? Need some ideas to babyproof our deck... thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply