FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuiche recipe without base

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quiche recipe without base
    Posted: 29 September 2008 at 9:58am

Hi,

Has anyone got a recipe for quiche without pastry. I know you can make it mixing everything together with some flour and then you don't need to bother about pastry - I just don't know what quantities you can use.

Having re-read that question it doesn't make much sense, i'm blaming preggie brain

][/URL]

Sponsored Links

ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 10:20am
Hi Fiona
You've reminded me of a great dish I can make for a friend who's just had twins - thanks.

3 eggs
1 onion
1 cup grated cheese
salt & pepper
1 t green herb stock
1 T oil
3/4 - 1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 t baking powder
ham or bacon
avocado
mushrooms
tomatoes
chives
asparagus
You can basically add anything and everything you can think of that you'd like in a quiche.

Mix all ingredients until lumps are out. Pour into a greased quiche dish. You can place extra bacon, mushrooms, avocado, etc as a topping.

Bake 180 degrees celsius for 40-45 minutes.

I've made this heaps and its really idiot proof (I'm the idiot - not you). Enjoy!
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 10:23am

You superstar - thanks this is awesome.

Can I use SR flour and then cut out baking powder?

][/URL]

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 12:06pm
I never have SR flour in the house. I just use plain, and if the recipe calls for SR, I add 1 teaspoon baking powder per cup of flour. So I'd say you'd be fine to use SR and cut out the baking powder, but if you use the lesser amount of flour, you might want to add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, depending on how closely you like to follow recipes
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 12:29pm
Let me know how you get on with this recipe, its sounds like a good idea, not mucking around with the base.
ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 1:23pm
I suppose you can use SR flour and leave out the bp?

Just made it - one for me and one for my friend who's had the babies - with the yummiest avocado. Have also made lasagne for dinner and made extra for her.

YUM YUM YUM - good luck.
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 8:13pm

Ok, well I made it with SR and no baking powder and it was great!!!!!!

DH was well impressed, day one of maternity leave and he came home to a home cooked meal.

It was real easy, you could put all sorts in it really. I mixed the flour with milk and eggs and beat it together a bit before pouring over everything else and it was nice and fluffy.

Great recipe!!!

][/URL]

ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 11:24am
Glad it worked well for you. There's only a couple of us in my house that like quiche so i don't make it as often as I should. Really yummy in the summer with a salad.
Two Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 2:10am
I've got a self-crusting, simple and easy quiche recipe, much like Ellen's one. I'll post it tonight when I get home.
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 1:31pm
Yum! Thanks for posting this, I've been craving quiche lately and look what showed up in the Food section
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
Two Shoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Shoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2008 at 1:41am
Here's my quiche recipe that a friend gave me, which I've found to be very good, and quick and easy to make!

3 eggs
1 t Baking Powder
1 1/2 c milk
1 chopped onion
chopped pasley
1/2 c flour
1 T oil
1 c grated cheese
pinch garlic

Shake all together for 1 minute. Pour into a quiche dish. Decorate with ham or bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms etc...as you fancy.

Bake at 180 deg C for 45 mins.

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 4:19pm
Just a quick question - do you have to use a specific quiche dish, or can you just use any baking dish??? I think I want to make a quiche for me to bring for lunch....
ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 6:07pm
Have only ever made it in a quiche dish but I'm sure you can use any similar sized dish.
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2008 at 8:32am

i've found any dish will do - cannot count how many times we've had quiche lately

][/URL]

skp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 4:55pm
Ellen, I tried your recipe last night, was really yummy thank you!!
kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2008 at 11:20pm

Just saw this thread & thought I would add one that I have also - one that I use at work

Rice Crusted Quiche

3 spring onions

2 sticks Celery

5 stalks fresh thyme or handful fresh basil

2 cloves garlic

200gm Cheddar or mozzarella cheese

3 cups cooked long grain rice

4 60gm eggs

2tbs olive oil

150gm hungarian salami or double smoked ham, roughly chopped or shaved

150gm sun dried tomatoes roughly chopped

5 extra thyme stalks for garnish

preheat oven 200deg, combine the cooked rice, about 3/4 of the grated cheese, 1egg, salt & pepper in bowl, mix and press into flan form or other dish - if microwavable is better

Heat oil & cook the onion, crushed garlic, chopped celery & thyme for a few mins till softened.  Combine this with all other ingredients in large bowl & mix well.  Put in dish over rice & arrange thyme stalks on top

Bake for 15 mins, remove from oven, elevate in microwave, cook for 7-10mins med high (650watts) or until just firm.  Stand for 5 mins before serving.

This is really forgiving and you can use whatever toppings you want really, we have used all sorts of different things and it still comes out tasting great.

Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
 Post Reply Post Reply