FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKindy at an older age?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xnikx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xnikx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kindy at an older age?
    Posted: 17 October 2008 at 9:17am
Hi :)

I was just wondering, as my daughter is 3. Wont be enrolling her at kindy until we move at the beginning of next year.
Im unsure of waiting list rules. Ive been told 2 different things! 1. That the older the child is, the quicker they get in. 2. That the waiting list is the same no matter how old the child.

And is it really a big deal if my daughter doesnt go to kindy till shes 4?

Thanks

Nik
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 10:00am
if the kindy you want her to go to is very full and busy then the kids on the waiting list will come first. i dont think it will matter too much what age she starts but i know my boy is still playing with the kids he met and made friends with in the session for the younger kids.

xnikx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xnikx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 10:33am
Thanks Bizzy

Suppose it will all unfold next year when we move. Im not really too bothered if she doesnt get in till shes 4. Still, gives her 1 year at kindy before Primary School. Plenty of time.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 8:03pm
If you know where you'll be moving to, you could book her in now, for then. Hannah didn't start kindy until this year (already 4yrs) and she has settled very well. We hadn't booked in advance so we got the choice of only 3 out of 5 days (the others were booked up) but that suited us because we didn't want her going full-time anyway.
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 11:56pm
id ring the kindy and enroll her now and just explain that you want to enroll her now as your moving to that area.
kindys have alot of kids start at 4 so i wouldnt be too worried about it.

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2008 at 10:12pm
I think its personal choice when and if you sent your children to kindy. Many people choose to go with something else like playcentre, kohanga or daycare. They all follow the same Early Childhood Education document 'Te Whaariki'.

It will depend on the indivdual kindy's enrollment policies on whether they take oldest children first or ones who've been waiting longer, or most likely try and have some sort of happy median. If you're really keen for your child to start as soon as you move, I'd be phoning them and talking to them and enrolling if they say its advisable.

Good luck with the move and I hope your child settles in well.
nictoddie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nictoddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 2:10pm
I'm with the others enroll her now most kindies have websites with email addresses etc so make contact now we are moving in a couple of weeks and my dd is tranferring from one to the other the new one is a busy kindy and I thought she may have to wait but thank goodness she can start as soon as we move, she loves kindy and would miss it so much if she could not go lol, and so would I!
mumto3+1more? View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumto3+1more? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2008 at 11:01am
at most kindys around here it is up to the discretion of the head teacher - but they mostly do it according to age,rather than tim eon the waiting list. after all, its not your fault you didnt know when they were 2 yrs old that you would be moving by the time they are old enough to start...

~~mommy to~~~
Candyce Chanel 15
Elijah Samuel Francois   5
Jacob Isaac Francois       3
+ 4 babies in heaven    

xnikx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xnikx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2008 at 10:46am
Trouble is, is we dont know where abouts we are moving to!!
HAHA
 Post Reply Post Reply