FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs the media coverage getting to you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the media coverage getting to you?
    Posted: 21 October 2008 at 3:46pm

I am starting to think the media is obsessed with child abuse cases.  I am getting really upset at the coverage of  the Nia Glassie trial.  I just dont want to hear all the details and it seems to be everywhere I turn. 

Is it just me?

Sponsored Links

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 4:01pm
I was reading the article in the herald this morning about the Nia case, and felt sad all over again. What those "men" did to her is just sickening.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 4:24pm
today was the first i had heard of it. i find the details disturbing and wonder how necessary they really are.
what i find even more sickening tho is the people who stood by and did nothing!

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 4:56pm
I have heard about the child that was put thru the dryer but that was about it...I just googled and read the story...holly F$%#....are there really people out there who are capable of doing some thing like this to a 3 year precious child? I have a 3 year old...and I cant imagine hurting her....and I would kill any one who tried!

Whats wrong with our world!?? I dont know if I wanna hear more details to be honest...its making me sick just reading the initial reports.

I hope they hang the B%^#*%$.....Oh wait...in NZ we dont do that...we will just let them go in 2 years...and the other chic will then go one to have babies and they will put them in the dryer...and we will hear about it later!! SICK!

LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 6:33pm
They should all get life and stay in jail until they die.
I can't understand HOW this could happen....
I cringe everytime it comes on the news.

I work in early childhood and my passion is working with young children i have worked with many 3 year olds and can't understand HOW THIS COULD HAPPEN...

What about the mother????
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 6:47pm
I've been avoiding the coverage, I know they are in court and the only other thing I want to know is when they get sentenced and hopefully it is for a long long long time. Personally I would prefer they were hung but that sadly isn't an option. Hopefully someone will top them once they are in prison.

I'm not sure why they are giving all the details on the news, its just doesn't seem necessary to me and I find it a bit disrespectful to Nia (i find a lot of what is on the news to be disrespectful when it comes to people that have died/been murdered). I really hope the poor jury get counselling afterwards, I think they will need it, I certainly would if I ever had to be a juror on a case like that.

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 7:34pm
I guess the idea is by getting the details out there, people will be disgusted and more likely to act, in future.

If this kind of coverage doesn't stop child abuse what will?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 7:59pm

I get upset everytime it is on the news. Even tonight with the TV1 news they said there was graphic coverage so view discression I had to turn it over as I didn't want to watch it let alone let Andrew watch it.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 10:20pm
I totally think it is way over bored I rushed to turn the tv off before it started. I don't think we all need the detail's over and over again i think by now you would have to have been living under a rock not to know the detail's.
Deborah Mum to:

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 10:57pm
I had to walk out. It made me cry and Willie told me to get out coz it was upsetting me too much. And I am pretty hardened when it comes to that sort of stuff.

What gets me the most, more than all the horrid (and IMO unnecessary) public recounts of what those animals did to her, is the picture all the news organisations are bandying around of her in the yellow hat with this huge smile. She looks so happy and sweet and innocent and I can't help but think of my own kids when I see it, and think about how lonely and sad she must have felt in her last few weeks of life.

I'm leaving this thread now coz I'm getting upset again
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
MelanieAndBree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 9:14am

doesnt get to me but i guess people need to be aware or something?

Its so so sad. When i look at any young kid i just have to wonder how anyone can hurt them. They are so helpless really, and what sort of sick #$@$ing #$@^%&&$*&*$!@#$@#$ person could actually hurt them?

If someone did anything like that to my child id quite gladly go to jail for killing the bastard...

Edited by MelanieAndBree
Melanie.
Mum to Briahna Robyn, 3yrs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 9:17am

Sorry Emma, I didnt mean to upset you I just wondered if I was irrational....I have never reacted so strongly but I burst into tears whenever its on the news and I get all panicky to turn it off or change channels....I can usually handle stuff like that but not pregnant and not looking at TOm and how much effort I go to to keep him safe....I am upset that he has bruises on his wee legs from insisting on crawling over shist rocks!  (bloody boys)

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 9:28am

I guess like Fleury mentioned, the hope is that the more people know about these barbaric acts against children, the more likely they are to speak out and actually do something. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that there were people around this little girl who stood by and let this happen to her. My personal belief is that they should be charged and sent to prison also. I just dont understand why anyone would think its okay to torture a child like this. These people are dogs - and when dogs go bad and attack people we put them down.

Just my two cents worth. Like Emma - this makes me so angry and upset that I prob shoudlnt post anymore.

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 9:34am

OMG - sorry I just have to add....ANYONE ANYONE at all, friends, family, neighbours....who SAW that little girl struggling to breath and having fits at a birthday party, or being spun on a washing line, or any of the other horrific things that they did to her.....need to be called to account. How anyone can stand by and watch that happening to a child is beyond me. It makes them all monsters in my mind.

Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 10:21am
If they end up in prison, I would be very angry if they get a chance of parole. They knew what they were doing, which means they could do it again. Keep the sicko's in prison for life. The mother is just as bad. grrrrrr

I have the news on but I am not really paying attention to the story when they play it, as it just gets me angry. I dont think there is too much coverage, just hoping that it is sinking into people that abuse on children is wrong.

Go John Key for harsher punishment for child abusers.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 2:03pm
I get upset listening to the coverage, but I do think its necessary, how can anyone think its ok to treat a child in that manner. This is a matter for public concern and it seems the media have become the forum for debating it.

I think its awful too, and hope they all get plenty of jail time.

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 2:35pm
I just really hope that they dont get isolated in prison.  I think it is only fair that the other inmates "deal to them" as they see fit.
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 2:45pm
I just read the NZ Herald (GOSH I wish I didnt)...it actually made me sick..... the horrible things they did to her!! WHY OH WHY would you do that to a 3 year old...I mean how is it "fun" to torture a child that size? what the hell is wrong with those F%@&% A&%$@&?? And this was from another child in the house...who surely wouldnt be making these stories up!

GOD!! I hope the Die in jail...those monsters!! but like I said...I cant see NZ law giving the punishment they deserve.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 5:24pm
I have been avoiding any coverage of it , I already know the main details,and they are bad enough .
The thing that upsets me the most about these cases, apart from the fact they are being hurt by people they are meant to be able to trust, is the image of their eyes,and how frightened they would be .

...Fear has no place in a child's eyes, and it should never ever be placed there by the very people who are meant to love and provide for the child.

May she rest in peace, and may they get all they deserve .

Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 5:36pm
i got called up for JURY service for that case! fortunatly i knew 2 of the lawyers on the case so i got out of doing it.
1 of them a female lawyer is really affected by it and has even written up her notice to hand in to the firm once the case is finished.

i hope they all get really big sentances. especially the mother, what kind of mother leaves their child with people like that!

when it first happened last year the entire street of the court was a angry mob of protesters.

NZPIPER:
2 of the guys and the young chick got beaten up really bad in the holding cells under the courts by some gang guys, the policec just stood back and watched - good on them!

and yes they have been in isolation for that last year.

Edited by CatzKids

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>