FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedmaking chocolates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aussiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making chocolates
    Posted: 03 November 2008 at 9:19am
Ok, so I have just bought some chocolate moulds to make christmas chocolates.

My question is: Do I literally melt the chocolate and put it in the moulds and refrigerate?

Thanks!
Mum to Hayley **30.6.08
Sponsored Links

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 9:33am
That's how I did it, I got a chocolate making kit from Spotlight came with everything that was needed.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 12:17pm
Yep. Its that simple. I just use chocolate buttons from the supermarket. You can add chopped nuts or something if you like too, but you have to chop them really small so they don't block up the mold.

I usually end up putting them in the freezer to set, cos I'm impatient! And I usually make more than one mould's worth at a time, so I want the mold back asap.

Enjoy, and don't eat too many
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 12:44pm
If melting in the microwave- do it on medium not high, and only for a min at a time, stir and if most of the choc is still solid put in for another min..If u do it too long the choc can over cook and will be useless!
If u gonna melt on the stove,..put water in a pot then sit qa bowl with the choc in inside the pot so that the heat is not directly on the bowl with the bchoc in,..and dont get any water in the choc!
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 1:32pm
This might be a silly question.....but can you use any old chocolate, or do you have to get special stuff? Just because Whittakers Dark Chocolate is the only stuff around that is dairy free....
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 1:43pm
Yep u can use any choc,..often I use any choc that is on special cos its usually cheaper than cooking choc. Some brands need to be thinned out using a blob of kremelta tho. I
aussiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 2:41pm
Thanks guys!
Mum to Hayley **30.6.08
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 7:55pm
Kate Signature Range have some belgium cooking chocolates which are dairy free - I've seen them at Countdown.

Yep it's that easy although I have seen some people tap the bottom of the moulds on the bench to make sure there are no air bubbles.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2008 at 10:17pm
Signature darkare absoloutely fabulous! the only one I could find where the first ingrediant was Cocoa mass not sugar. Melts beautifully and is a great cheap product!
IVFGirl1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IVFGirl1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 9:31am
I brought some Christmas moulds in the weekend too I cant wait for Christmas!
TTC 6 years
IVF it is
IVF/ICSI round one
10 eggs, 8 mature, 3 fertilised BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 = 22 eggs!
20 mature, 15 fertilised, 1 fresh transfer and 2 frosties
BFN
2 Frosties still in freezer thank god
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 8:15pm
When i made my choccys for the wedding (about 300 of them) I used the nestle chocolate melts.

They are fab and set really quickly.

do small amounts at a time (about 1/4 to 1/3 of a pack at a time), put in microwave safe glass bowl/jug, and heat on 50% power like kelz said, for 1 minute then 15 second bursts at a time, once they are runny but have still some little lumps in it, take out and mix until smooth.

when you've spooned the amount you want into the moulds, pick up the mould by the sides, and gnetly tap or drop from a coupel of cms onto the bench a few times - this straightens out the back so you don't get the swirly lump on the back, it also busts any air bubbles in the chocolate.. you can usually see them come up to the top after a couple of taps.

if you leave them to set in room temp then thats usually better, once they are set, put in freezer for a few mins and when you take them out you can usually see the bubble between the choc and the mould where it has self-detached, if it hasn't put back in in 5 min bursts, this way when you turn the mould upside down the chocs should come out themselves and they should still be lovely and shiny. just gently pat with a paper towel to remove excess moisture and then you can store at room temp in a container lined with greaseproof paper.

Putting them into the freezer to set for too long, or keeping them in the fridge will make the chocolate sweat and not last as long.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Post Reply Post Reply