FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExtended breastfeeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 36>
Author
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 6:23pm
Aww that sounds tough Millemama! Hopefully she gets the message, I've heard don't offer/don't refuse is a good approach or doing it slowly.
Sponsored Links

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 7:02pm
I only offer if she is upset otherwise shes a booby girl thru and thru and its not like I really want to give up that bond, I just think that if I don't do it now things are going to get very difficult and messy when baby 2 comes along. We are co-sleeping too, forgot to mention that, which is not ideal now, but it is what it is at the mo because of the house layout. We will be changing this set up when it gets warmer and then she will have her own room (has been set up now for 6mths)right next door to ours, and bubs can sleep in a bassinet with us or co-sleep. So that is the next hurdle after weaning is getting her to sleep in her own bed. Fun and games!!

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 9:43pm
Hahaha, this sounds so familiar! We are cosleeping too but in a double with my DP so come summer I hope to be UTD with #2 and will be working at getting her into her own room next door to ours. ATM it's a complete fail! I will try to BF her as long as I can but we'll see. I am very worried about jealousy surrounding BFing! She doesn't even let me get my hands anywhere near her head/my boobs when feeding!
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 11:14am
Wow high9, its hard enough in a queen bed let alone a double. We used to have a super king in oz.... ah the memories! But its surprising what you can achieve when you have to. Yeah worried about the jealousy thing too, but I'm sure it will work itself out, hence doing it now rather than later.

Well good news on the weaning so far. After balling session yesterday arvo that ripped my heart out, she didn't cry last night at all, eventually realised that it wasn't going to happen and went to sleep. This am she woke up asked for booby once, we snuggled and she went back to sleep for a bit, then woke up again, had a minor tanty -no crying - then was right as rain. Very surprised!

Kate08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 9:36pm
Just found this thread, really interesting. Breastfeeding went completely wrong first time round and I only managed 6 weeks, now with baby #2 we're at nearly 5 months and it's going brilliantly. So pleased!
So I have no idea about weaning. I hope it's some way off, but is it just a case of baby dropping/refusing feeds as solids start and increase?
Also, she had slow weight gains initially. Some weeks she hardly gained, others a small gain. So I'm waking her for night feeds on recommendation on Plunket [this, or start solids at 3 months which seemed a bit silly to me, given that they start off eating a tiny amount anyway]. This worked brilliantly and she's getting nice and chubby. But when can I stop waking her without her weight dropping off? Has anyone had this happen?
As for comments, already people are asking if I'm "still feeding" her. Duh.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 10:41pm
Hey Kate! I found once DD was eating a good amount of solids - about 8/9 months she dropped feeds herself and they say to offer solids before milk at this stage too but she did that all on her own accord.

I can't offer any advice re the weight gain, waking to feed as my DD was 2 hourly or less (on demand) from birth until recently! So we always had great weight gains but that was again on her own accord.

MM, that's good, I think being older she may just understand and accept it... When we moved recently I was a bit busier and found it hard to feed DD as she wouldn't be interested until I had something to do! But she seemed to understand if I said no, not now!
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 11:55am
Wow, thats great for her age High9, mine doesn't know the meaning of "not now" or "wait" even now, lol.

Kate08 any weight gain is good, as long as she's not going backward and is healthy. Beware of advice from Plunket as its not always the best out there, depending from person to person. I've heard of some terrible advice that has been doled out. Check out Kellymom.com it has some great advice.

When we started feeding from 6mths she wasnt a bad eater but still loved her booby!. She has always been a tiny tot but in proportion, and knowing the goodness of breastmilk I wasn't worried about giving her too much of that even at the expense of a bit of solids. But she slowly cut down on the boob as food intake increased, as expected. But she never wanted to self wean and I never ran dry so we kept going til now.   

Kate08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 12:58pm
Thanks. I'll check out kellymom.com, I haven't come across that one yet ;)
Plunket is a bit hit and miss isn't it? When I had my first daughter, our coffee group nicknamed the Plunket nurse Nanny Vague, as she would never commit to an answer! It was so frustrating when trying to get advice.
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2011 at 1:30pm
Nanny Vague, lol thats funny!

Hey I forgot to say, trust your own instincts first. We always doubt ourselves but women's intuition is a great indicator when something is wrong or when something is going along fine

MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 8:54pm
Can anyone suggest some remedies for sore nipples? Since getting pregnant they have been really tender and it seems to be getting worse. My tops and bras irritate them, they are constantly erect and I feel like they are getting stuck to my clothing almost. Don't even ask about latching, ouchies!!!!!!!!!!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 10:17pm
Yikes! Not looking forward to that MamaT!
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 1:28am
You could try breastpads? Should give you a bit of cushioning and protection against bumps? (and they shouldnt stick to you)
I found it did get better after a couple of weeks, although theyve started to get sore again now, but I think thats cos DD has started to not let go before she comes off

+1 May 09 Angel
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 7:44am
I found mine were constantly sore once I was UTD. Not cool. Especially as once my milk supply dropped off heaps, she was just dry sucking which was extra ouchies. I went back to using lansinoh, and lots of holding of breath while she fed

I was a bit surprised tbh, as with my first pregnancy I didn't really notice nipple sensitivity at all, although no-one was chewing on them then
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 7:44am
Thanks Emmi, I did wonder about breastpads, now to see if I can find them. In the mall last week I saw these cool gel ones you can heat up or chill in the freezer, I was mighty tempted.
It doesn't help that DS has been sick so is basically attached to my boobs all day long

Whateversville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whateversville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 7:44am
Even tho I don't count myself as extended feeding just wanted to check in at 15mnths and yep, still feeding
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 11:28am
MamaT- I didn't know you were pg? Huge congrats! I had mega sore nipples throughout pg and um I just put up with it BUT in hospital the LC gave me these awesome heat up pads which did help my Raynauds a bit...but TBH a wheat pack would do the same thing lol
Pillow Fight- well done! 15 months is awesome! Go you!!!

MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 12:32pm
Ok thanks, I did wonder if it were just a grin and bear it type scenario.
Thanks for the congrats Emmecat

And pillowfight - 15 months is fantastic, go you!!!

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 12:50pm
Woohoo for 15 months PF! Love seeing the pics you post! T looks so content!

Any nipple pain I've had I've just grinned and went with it! I think if I had done anything I probably would have given up! I too have Raynauds but it seems to have improved since my milk stopped leaking and Lily dropping feeds. My mw also recommended something warm over the nipples.

The sore nipples I am not looking forward too and really hope that being pregnant (when I get pregnant that is!) doesn't cause Lily to wean! She came quite close to it and I think had she not got croup she would have weaned but she's back loving it again and I'm enjoying it being pain free and the cuddles, laughs/giggles, looks, etc!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 5:01pm
I know Nic I am so worried that this pregnancy will cause DS to wean, he loves his milky cuddles soooo much and I actually wouldn't have a clue how to parent him without it, breastfeeding is my cure everything tool.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 9:42pm
He still feeds pretty often though? So I'm sure he won't! Before my op I thought Lily would never wean but I had fear that being gone so long she might and that did start to happen which was really upsetting and I felt so guilty! Glad she's back at it but worry she'll stop although we both enjoy it but we'll see!

When does your milk change?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 36>