FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExtended breastfeeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536>
Author
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2011 at 8:11am
1st-time-preggies - We have been through many of the same things here- DS is 19months. We night weaned by getting Dad to go into him- we started the process by involving DH in the bed time routiue more, starting with him being in the room while I fed DS to sleep, then progressing to him taking DS off me once he was asleep and putting him to bed,..then to me feeding DS then passing him to DH for a story and I kissed him and he waves me goodbye and DH puts him to bed.
Now hes so used to DH being there in the night, that although he always wants Mumma in the daytime, he doesnt call for me when DH goes into him overnight,...but if Im the one that gets up to him then he straight away wants boob- I always go in with water and offer him that instead, and say "no its night time". If we both try and still he wont settle or keeps waking- lately its been for teething,... then I do feed him.
I feed him on demand 24/7 for a year then my mental and physical health was suffering from the sleep deprivation- was back to 1-3hrly feeds overnight, so that when we night weaned him, and its just been when hes sick and cant be comforted any other way since then.

In the last few weeks tho, DS has been wanting to latch on for just a few seconds at a time heaps of times a day! He had gradually reduced his feeds of his our accord, and was mostly only having feeds first thing in the morning and before bed at night, and sometimes one in the day but not often. Now hes sticking his toungue out at me and going "ahh ahh" and pulling my top up or doen heaps! Its fine at home, but I feel self consciuos in some places when we out,...i woulkdnt if he actually wanting to feed, but he just pops on and off heaps then laughs and runs off to play again! The more I let him do it in the day then more he seems to wake at night, so Ive been trying to distract him away form it in the day- luckily its winter and Im not wearing tops with easier access, lol!
Sponsored Links

jacobsmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacobsmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2011 at 4:21pm
Hi everyone just thought I'd come in and say I've weaned Isabella off me . Had her last breastfeed on her 2nd birthday :) think wev done a awesome job with feeding (she was prem born at 31weeks)
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 11:15pm
well done jacobsmummmy :)

I am still feeding my boy at 21 months he is down to 1-2 feeds a day

Edited by NovemberMum

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 2:08pm
So we went to our first LLL meeting yesterday... Lily has since decided that seeing as the other babies were having lots of milkies... She's going to do the same so the last 2 days we've gone from 1-2 feeds a day or 2 to about 3-4 feeds a day! Although she has a cold and just cut 2 top molars (her first ones) along with the bottom 2 not far away! Not complaining but thought I'd share. She had cut down and was having 1-2 feeds a day or every second day but since yesterday's meeting she's picked it up! We've already had 3 feeds today and it's only 2pm! She knew what all the other babies were having too!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 2:48pm
Oh cute Nic. So glad you enjoyed the meeting, I really enjoy ours too and whenever DS sees a newborn nursing he watches intently and then decides he needs milk too.

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2011 at 3:09pm
Gorgeous MamaT! Lily giggles when she sees babies feeding but she's put it all together now so also signs 'milkies' and then wants it herself now!

Am looking forward to the next meeting though and seeing how our breast feeding journey continues. It seems so unpredictable!
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 6:45pm
DS is definately cutting back on feeds now, whether that is due to his age, or me being pregnant I have no idea, but it does sadden me somewhat. He has maybe 2-3 overnight, feeds on and off all morning before we get out of bed (from about 5/6am till 7.30/8am) and then maybe 4 feeds the rest of the day. This is at least half what he was feeding.

He has taken to bringing me toys to nurse lately, he helps me "latch" them on and then hops on the other breast, he had a go nursing one of his dolls today too, it was very cute

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 7:04pm
Ah yes, I have given many a boobie to the odd teddy, dolly and even pooh characters, we are multi-talented women indeed! Just don't forget to take the little ones out of your bra before going out, been there, done that, lol

1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 7:44pm
Haha that is all so cute. The LLL meeting and milkies and the giving teddies/dollys boobie. Aren't they just little characters :-)

Just a quick question: I am still feeding my 19 month old, usually about twice nowadays if I can (am trying to wean him by the end of the year ish) but I am yet to get a period. Never had one since pregnant (apart from of course the bleeding after he was born). Anyone else had this? Is it normal?
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 9:58pm
1st time preggies- I still haven't had my AF back, but I'm BF two and that's less than 4 hourly 24/7. Sigh. Anywho, I think that's within the realms of normal....you're def not pg again though are you? It's possible you may have ovulated and gotten UTD before your first period!

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 10:00pm
And huge congrats jacobsmummy for such a sterling BF effort!!
Ha I wish Clodagh only Bf 1-2 times a day. On a quiet day she has 5...more if she's sick, tired or just being a toddler lol

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 10:02pm
I too have to BF numerous things! Read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, has some info on BFing past 18mo and a story about bfing toys! Lily bfs things but prefers me to do it! Though I've found she wants to try BF her dad or get him to feed things too...
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 10:18pm
Lol, DH has offered her his boobie a few times and she just gives him THE LOOK, as if to say what planet are you on! If only I say, well sometimes it would be nice anyway.

Thought I would have weaned her by now but still reluctant too as I know its so good for her and its only maybe once or twice a day, but wow... it hurts being PG!

1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 7:59am
Haha definitely not pregnant. But thinking of trying at the end of the year or so and wondered if no af meant it would be harder.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 10:03am
I think it depends. Not impossible though! I haven't had AF since I got pregnant but I've been on the Depo and Mini pill since having Lily. But been off contraception for 2 months now and still nothing! No AF, No ovulating, no pregnancies! lol
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 10:33am
Had a friend who last yr was worried because she hadn't got her AF yet, her little man was about 14mths. But she sought some naturopathic help and she has just had another little boy.

SpringMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpringMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 4:23am
Oh that's good to hear about your friend millemama. My Miss is 10months and I haven't had AF back, but we'd like to start trying for number 2 soon. I guess it would be harder to try as there's no way of tracking when I would ovulate? I had thought of maybe weaning Miss just to get AF back to track, but decided that was a bit selfish!
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 10:03pm
Well I got AF back I think b4 DD was a yr old and she is still BF, only ocasionally now as I'm PG, but BF didn't stop me from getting it back so wonder how it works for some and not others. DD was a big boobie girl in her day too.

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 10:55am
I got mine back when DD was about 10 months old, she was still BFing 6+ times a day and 3+ times a night! Its now back to the regular monthly thing which sucks

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 11:02am
Yep my DD was feeding 4 hourly during the day and about 6 times over night when I got PG (when she was 9.5/10m)... No idea why my body thought ovulating would be a good idea

+1 May 09 Angel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536>