FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew Here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Here
    Posted: 25 April 2006 at 8:30am
Hi Girls.

I'm new here and this site was recommended to me by some lovely ladies and so far it looks great!!

I'm not trying for a baby yet however it won't be all that far off. Thinking later in the year.

I've trying using google but I just can't quite find what I'm looking for!

I'm a vegetarian (no meat what so ever, but will eat dairy products etc) and have no idea if we were going to try what extra things I would need to do/consider.

I'm chicken to go to my doctor because he's a close friend of the family so I don't want any funny looks or it slipping out etc because I don't want family knowing that maybe soonish we will try and rumours about us getting out.

Any help would be sooooo so soooo appreciated!!
Sponsored Links

Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 11:26am
Hi there,
I would start taking a pregnancy mulit vitamin. My diet is shocking and I am always low in iron or B12 or both, and taking this means I get what I need and baby when I fall pregnant. I am taking Elevit which I feel is great but there are many out there.

It is a good idea to see the doctor just to check that everything is in order, and the like to take bloods to check for things like syphilis and Hepatitis and your blood type, but they can do that when you fall pregnant anyway, or you can always pop in when you are ready to start trying.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 12:49pm
Yeah when we do actually start trying I will go in for a check up, I just don't want to do it just yet.

I'll look into those preggers multi vitamins, Thanks

Oh yeah, everytime I try and update my profile it gives me an error??
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 2:32pm
If you try a health food store they should give you some good info on the best supplements for your diet etc.
You can also get a iron/folate supplement from the chemist which is really good
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

sb1337 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sb1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 3:30pm
Hi kebakat, welcome to ohbaby. Where in NZ are you from?

I too am a vegetarian and we're also going to start trying for a baby later on this year after we get back from overseas.

I have had a look on amazon.com and there are some books that look really good I was considering buying specially for vege preggie diet. Haven't seen any books like that in NZ bookshops (and I have looked in a LOT of bookshops )
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 3:41pm
Hi there and welcome! was just popping thru here and saw your remark about the doc - no matter what you tell him it should be kept confidential otherwise he is going against the law - so rest assured that it shouldn't get out to your family. however you could also have a look on the bounty New Zealand website and they may have a few links or be helpful in giving you the info you need about your diet etc. still - good to have a check up with the doc to make sure everything is in order before TTC
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 4:04pm
sb1337 - I'm in palmy nth

mum2paris - I know that docs are supposed to be confidental but I've been a couple of times before without family knowing and then when they have met up with him he has casually asked a question relating to the visit.
sb1337 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sb1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 4:19pm
kebakat, oh nice, I'm in Wellington.

maybe if your doc is a bit too friendly with the whanau you could just go to a different doctor, I know I'd be really annoyed and creeped out if my doctor and parents had concerned chats about me
Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 5:14pm
Just on books, there are heaps out there, but by far the best have read was the NZ pregnacy one, and Up the duff. You can easily get the from the libray or off trademe.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 5:35pm
The problem with getting a new doc is that there is a total shortage in palmy and no doctors are taking on new patients.

Thanks Sarah Beth for that, I'll go have a nosey on trade me now
sb1337 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sb1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 6:34pm
The best (and freakiest) preggo book I have read so far is Misconceptions by Naomi Wolf. It is funny with so many books out there finding ones that don't annoy the hell out of you (or maybe that's just me?) I have found there are some quite 'preachy' preggo books. Would quite like to read the NZ one though.

kebakat, I didn't realise palmy had a doctor shortage, that is really frustrating! I guess if you are forced to go back to the family doctor the only thing you could do would be to make it REALLY clear to him (like over the top clear) that your medical stuff is to be kept CONFIDENTIAL. It sounds like he probably just needs a reminder that you are now an adult and not just your parents child anymore.
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2006 at 10:58pm
Yeah I had the NZ pregnancy one too- was my bible! I could have quoted that whole darn thing by the time I was due. Brilliant book though.
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Post Reply Post Reply