FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked4 year old girls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 year old girls
    Posted: 20 November 2008 at 12:42pm
Do they all develop an attitude as charming and pleasant as mine has?
Or am I doing something very wrong?
85% of what comes out of her mouth at the moment is complaining, shouting and abuse. (accompanied by lots of foot stomping, door slamming and tears)
I know that she is very worn out by kindy and I allow for that, but I can't stand the constant barrage of hateful things she directs at me. It is always me and although I don't take it to heart, it still hurts to hear it from her.
She is really loving and affectionate when we're doing something she likes. She can be really helpful and kind and sweet, but at the moment all of that lovely stuff is being overshadowed by this demanding, ungrateful and moody attitude.
I know this too will pass and I'm doing my best to praise the good and ignore the bad because I know my lovely little princess is still in there hiding behind all the emotional outbursts.
Please just let me know I'm not the only one dealing with it!
I love her to bits and I really hate moaning about her, its just really getting to me that I don't seem to be dealing with it very well at the moment.

Edited by caraMel
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Sponsored Links

Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 12:39am
We've just got over this about a month ago- lasted about 4-5 months for us. Luckily now I have my lovely little girl back (touch wood!).
We just did what you're doing, praised her when she was good and ignored (or removed her) when she was having a strop.
Hope she snaps out of it soon!
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 12:02pm

your def not alone, we (me) are getting heaps of this and have been for a while, as you say its just something that they go thru and one thing to remember is that we lash out first against the ones we love the most! Probably as we know that we will be forgiven when its all over with. 

Take care and stay strong ....... look forward to the next challenge!!

Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 6:38pm
nope not just you - 4 yr old girls get nasty - then it turns to narky silly behaviour when they start school and just carries on thru until teenagehood lol...... interspersed with moments of lucidity and niceness. lol

ok so it's not that6 bad, but it can get pretty mean sometimes.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 7:36pm
My charming 5-year old girl went to bed at 6pm tonight after a rather heated discussion over muffins. 'Nuff said.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 8:28pm
Thank you so much for the replies!
It makes such a difference knowing this is relatively normal behaviour and not just me.
Eek, I hate ending the day on an argument eh? Yay for 6pm bedtime though!

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 10:15pm
She was happy enough when she went to bed. The drama was all when she first got home from school and when she wouldn't settle down I told her she'd be going to bed early. But we still did the bedtime story etc. LOL but there have been nights when I've sat on her bed and read the bedtime story while she screamed at the top of her lungs.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2008 at 6:13pm

I would like to add that I have the same with a certain 4 year old boy too.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2008 at 9:16pm
Still fighting the attitude battle at age 7... into bed at 7pm last night and again tonight (30 minutes early) because of behaviour... so far her bed time tomorrow night is 7:10pm...

It is getting easier - we're mostly working on the (relatively) smaller things now, to do with personal responsibility and consequenses rather than full on battle-of-wills.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2008 at 9:23pm
It seems they all get rather independent at 4, including being quite vocal with their thoughts. We take a very hard line with bad attitude or nasty words - time out without a warning, in most cases. We want to show our girls that that stuff is not acceptable in our home under any circumstance.
youngmumnz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote youngmumnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 7:31pm
:S amiee will be 4 soon :S lol
sno0ze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sno0ze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2008 at 9:56pm
My 5 year daughter is pretty demanding at times, tonight it was a hour of crying and not taking no for an answer, pretty tiring on my end lol
I honestly thought this wouldn't all start until closer to being an hormonal teenager!!

bub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2008 at 11:32am
well im so glad im not the only 1 with 4 year ol d that has a mind of her own.
mother to Brianna, Amelia & Mathew.

jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 9:54am
as you know from helping me with my 4 yr old this morning you aren't alone nd it's very trying, I can't give any advice tho as I don't have a clue what to do. We have too many people trying to parent our kids its a nightmare!
Good luck caraMel
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 10:29am
That's what I love about this place, it is so reassuring to know that we all go through it and all feel clueless and hopeless at times, and there is always someone who can help or give ideas when you're at your wits end!
(I'm at my wits end a lot at the moment!)

jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2008 at 12:50pm
me too. I float on and off quite frequently so u can usually find me if you need to vent ESPECIALLY about 4yr olds lol
 Post Reply Post Reply