FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDisability allowance for kids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disability allowance for kids
    Posted: 26 November 2008 at 7:55pm
Ok so i was wanting some info on this as to what makes a child elligible. I mean of course, it says so on the forms but well, actually getting it is probably a different story.

Through our local branch of heart children I was told that we should be entitled to this for Paris. While part of me thinks that would be great, the other part feels a bit in denial about the whole thing and i feel bad for applying for that sort of thing.

She does have a heart valve problem, but it's not an operation-needing one at the mo, she sees the paed once a year.    It does make her tired though and lots more prone to tiredness (which i think is some of the root of her bad behaviours since starting school cos she comes home exhausted).
Day to day it's not like it affects really how we treat her, it doesn't affect her basic of needs and she doesn't need constant supervision or medical care as such like it says on the forms. In winter however she also has asthma, made worse by a little by this problem, she needs constant heat (expensive power-bills!!) otherwise we are bombarded by a constant barrage of chest infections that hit and take hold within 24hrs, she has inhalers all through winter, and alot of the time during winter we still have a fair few illnesses requiring one or both of us to take time off as she gets sick much quicker, and takes much much longer to get over it.

Does this qualify? I really don't want to feel like I am freeloading off the system at all, but if she is truely entitled to it it would go a long way especially during winter to help with the heating bills to keep her healthy.

Anyone elses kids on this? pm me if you like.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 8:15pm

I would think that definalty qualities- you say 'its not like if affects how we treat her, her basic needs etc' ,..but then all the extra things she needs that u listed are all more than another child of a similar age- which is what the criteria states that the dr has to sign. So I definalty thing your GP would sign it.

Once your gp has signed it u make appt with winz, and u take the form, birth cert or passport for u, paris and mike, plus any drs letter/paed letters etc etc as further evidence. I didnt take isla with me, jsut went to the appt, the person type the info into the comp, didnt really ask me much, and just told me when the payments etc would start.
You get $43 a week paid fortnightly.

Isla's has just been renewed for another year, and her probs are no where near as serious.

Check out the allergy section- there has been discussion on this in that forum.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 8:33pm
I think she'd qualify on the asthma regardless of the heart problem.

I get it for my three smallest. Sienna for her kidney condition (which like Paris doesn't really affect her except that she has to take antibiotics every day and have annual scans and paed appts) and her ears (which are ongoing) and Mercedes gets it for her ears, and lil miss gets it for her respiratory problems.

As well as the Child Disability Allowance we also get the Disability Allowance which is an income tested allowance to help cover extra costs such as paed visits, meds, petrol to get to appts, parking at the hospital (which at $5 a pop adds up!), heating etc.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 8:36pm
PS. I feel you on the heating costs! Our power bill went up $100 a month after lil miss was born just running a heater in her room on low to keep the temp constant and a vapouriser for her when she's wheezy
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
shaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 8:46pm
You should qualify.
When you are considering the answers you really have to compare her to a "healthy" child. Do you have to watch her more, are there things she can't do. Things like heating and her getting sick and being sick for longer do make her different and I'd say that would mean constant supervision, even if you don't realise you are doing it.
It can be pretty minor differences my friend gets it for two of her children because they have hearing aids and needed a little speech therapy apart from that they are completely normal, but they will qualify forever because their hearing is affected.
Natasha is on it because she still needs to be supervised taking her meds and if she flares she needs assistance with allot of physical things but at present she's pretty normal (well as normal as a nearly 13yo can be )

Edited by shaz
Mum to Natasha Aroha 9/12/1995, Alexandra Makareta Waimarie 22/4/1998 and....Alyssa Frances Hopaea 18/03/2007

[/url]
kiwigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 10:15pm

My son gets the child disability allowance and gets something like $78 a fortnight

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 10:26am
Josiah gets it for his vision. We weren't sure we wanted to apply for it either, but his glasses are so expensive... we decided in the end that his vision is so bad that he does require extra care over and above someone else his age and the orthoptist agreed.
For example: Ayja and Josiah are the same age... can she walk down some stairs at a new location without help? Josiah can't - he's got limited depth perception, and if he is not familiar with the enviroment he needs help to ensure he doesn't trip. He also doesn't notice things that are higher than his eyes - which means he bangs his forehead fairly frequently.

The CDA helps cover the increased cost of our contents insurance (by upping our insured amount and changing policies we now have no excess on claims for glasses), and we have been able to put the fortnightly amount aside until there is enough there to buy a new pair of glasses if necessary.

Edited by daikini
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2008 at 10:18pm
Jake was born with a major heart defect and the hospital signed it for us for the first year, but said since he probably wouldn't need on-going extra care after that (had open heart surgery at 6 weeks) that we wouldn't get it again after the first year .... so we didn't bother to take the form in to them again. We have to take him in for yearly checks, and he has had alot of other sickness - but I put that down to daycare, not his heart problem .... so I didn't really feel we could justify asking for it again. In that first year we did have alot of extra costs (a month in hospital and lots of doc visits) but we don't now.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 8:25pm
Hi, I have a heart babe too, with a complex congenital heart defect. We happily take this money as we dont qualify for anything else, and it definately comes in handy while Im on maternity and to pay for porse care when she starts in a few weeks, but once she is 5 this will just go into a bank account for her, Im sure she would rather do without the ongoing surgery but its just a little something to soften the blow when she is older. If you feel uncomfortable about it, put it in a savings account for your babe.
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 1:33pm
Mumto paris - did you apply?

We haven't re-applied (like you said, no on-going medical expenses etc as stated on the form) but I'm wondering if we should too.

Raspberryjam - we put some of it into an account for Jake too, even though we only claimed it for the first year.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 2:17pm
Just apply, they can only say no. If your child is entitled then they deserve to have it. Im sure they will appreciate it when they get big
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 7:45am
Does anyone know if the 50 hrs subsidsied childcare per week ,that u are entitled to if your child gets the CDA is income tested or not. I know the actual CDA is not income tested, but have been told different things by different winz staff as to if the childcare part of it is income tested or not. Our income has just increased by me going back to work, and we now earn over the threshold to get any childcare subsidy, but I thought we should still get subsidied childcare cos of the CDA.
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 2:25pm
This is an interesting topic, thanks ladies. I've also got a heart baby and just yesterday received the form to complete to get an allowance.

Mum2paris, from what you are saying, I also think you should apply for it.
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 8:21pm
Just to update- the childcare subsidy part of the child disablity allowence IS income tested, so if your income is under $1200 (before tax)/ week, your child is entitled to up to 50 hrs subsidised childcare, and if you earn between $1200-$1400/week you will get a reduced ammount of susidy for up to 50 hrs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 6:13pm
I just wanted to pull this old thread up to ask if anyone is claiming respite care for their babes? As we dont qualify for WFF or child care subsidy I am going to ask for this, it maybe declined but you never know til you ask. Has anyone had any experience with this or any dramas for that matter??
http://lilypie.com]
Juzzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juzzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:01am
RaspberryJam, we have just had approval for Harlow for Carer assistance and Carer support.   What would you like to know?????   Frig, I have to say it's been a bit of a drama getting it but we've finally been given it.   Like anything it just takes time. Just PM me if you want to know anything.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 2:40pm
They said No to respite care Juzzo - they said she isnt sick enough cause she dosent need assistance - at the moment she is getting the CD allowence but I expect that will go next

Juzzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juzzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 10:22pm
Oh sorry to hear that RaspberryJam, it's so difficult to get. Not sick enough??? Ahhh, who knows what they use to measure it.   I'm more than happy to discuss our situation with you if you like and just how hard we (actually a kind nurse and social worker) had to fight for it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 9:29am
Thanks Juzzo, I have her is daycare now and she loves it so guess paying for it is all worth while when she is having so much fun

You have 3 other boys to care for so you deserve some assistance for sure - is it working for you? Im not sure I could cope with someone in the house often
And How is your wee Harlow? - Love the name by the way!
The first winter is a bit daunting yeah? Did you have another son born early too?
Juzzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juzzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 9:49pm
RJ - I have to admit when they said they were trying to get us assistance, I didn't want it. They said they were going to apply anyway and if it didn't work out then it didn't matter.   Like you, I felt like I'd really dislike having someone in my home so frequently. However, I have to eat humble pie.    Whilst it isn't ideal it is necessary and we are lucky enough to have been given a wonderful older nurse who is very quickly becoming part of our family. She comes in Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 8.30am - 12.30pm and takes over Harlow while I go and do the school/kindy runs plus spend time with my 2 year old. It is actually working out really well. We've been granted 15 hours a week for 12months. I don't imagine having her for that long to be honest. I think once the winter is over and Harlows energy levels are up a bit we should be ok.    
Yeah the first winter is a bit daunting but I've made myself relax about it a bit!   Whatever happens, happens. With 3 other boys at home, he's quite likely to pick up something at some point, fingers crossed it's not too soon ahy?!    

My 3 sons were born at 37, 36, 35 weeks then wee Harlow was of course born at 24, so we had expected an early one, just not that early!   

I hope your Child disability allowance doesn't disappear anytime soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>