FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked18 month old appetite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18 month old appetite
    Posted: 29 December 2008 at 11:41am

In the last couple of weeks Ella's appetite seems to have gone down quite a bit. She is pretty good with breakfast & afternoon but hardly eats anything for morning tea and lunch and is only eating 1/2 of what she would normally eat at dinner time.

Just wondering if anyone else has found that their toddler did the same thing around this age? I am not too worried about it...just don't know it is just a stage or she is settling down into a new eating pattern.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2008 at 11:55am
Spencer seems to go through stages with his food. He has really hungry periods where all he seems to do is eat eat eat and then he'll have a week or so where he barely eats enough to keep a sparrow alive.
Sometimes his eating has dropped off just before he has come down with something as well, but hopefully that isn't the case with Ella.

Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2008 at 3:49pm
I feel like Sam eats hardly anything these days - and talk about fussy!!
She normally eats a good breakfast, nibbles at lunch and then snacks lots between 3-4pm. Sometimes she will eat a little bit of dinner too - on a good day!
From what I hear this is really normal, so I refuse to worry about it.

BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2008 at 8:48pm
My boy eats next to nothing. Seriously I've spent so much time worrying about it ...it's gotten past the point of ridiculous. He's lost A LOT of weight, and medically been tested for everything and has come back fine. But he has shot upwards and is very tall for his age ...so he's still growing perfectly fine, just not my chubba bubba anymore. Think he might just end up being a lean bean like his dad.

I wouldn't worry hun, i think it is a stage they go through.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2008 at 2:48pm
The only drop we have noticed is at dinner time, it's maybe dropped by a 1/3rd but the rest is all the same. We find the more finger food the more he eats. Not really interested in spoon stuff even if hes spooning it into his mouth
Rackhell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rackhell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 8:50pm
Could be just the heat? Cath's having 1/2 her normal breakfast and lunch these days, so we've upped the snacks. She's pooing and peeing the same so I'm not worried. Maybe the heats putting your one off her food ?
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2009 at 9:06pm
Their appetites can go up and down all the time but has it been hot where you are? That can be a factor too. Keep her fluids (esp. water) up and watch out for her looking sickly/losing weight, otherwise you're all good and it'll probably pick up again in a few weeks.
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 11:09am
Yeah I have been wondering if it is the heat as well. I know when it is hot I don't feel like eating (even through I know I should- maybe she is same).
She is drinking heaps through, so I guess that's the main thing.....but is now totally addicated to milk and doesn't care whether it is from me or cold milk in a fridge she wants it.
Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 1:25pm
Ah, she will be filling up from the milk then - both milks! I didn't realise you were still bf. You will want to get some other foods into her but it's not as critical with the bf going on too as she will be getting nutrients from there also.
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2009 at 7:49pm
I have been careful about offering for any type of milk after she eats- even if it just a little bit. I think since it has been so hot, she is loving in particular drinking really cold milk. It;'s funny she never been so much of a demand feeder for b/f just happy to drink it when I offer it, but now she has started demanding it (she kisses my chest when she wants a drink- very cute).

not really too concerned I just remember reading somewhere that toddlers appetites start to decrease after a certain while, so I thought maybe this was it.

thanks for the replies
Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 1:44pm
I'm a bit late ..... but Jakes appetite has dropped the last couple of weeks too. I just assumed it was the heat and he has one tooth that has just come through. He is also wanting to drink more and eat lots of fruit. Guess we are all like that in summer!!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2009 at 4:00pm
just discovered today that Ella last canine has come through as well (funny since the other 3 came through a couple of months ago) so maybe that affected her as well.

but in the last couple of days she has discovered plums, so is eating those like crazy

toddlers, who knows!
Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 12:45pm
Isn't it funny how Jake and Ella got the 3 canines at the same time, then got the last one at the same time 2 or so months later!!! Very weird!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 2:52pm
yeah it is odd. have no idea why the 4th one took heaps longer to come out...... hopefully we get a bit of break before the 2 year molars eekkk
Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 9:32pm
me too!!!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
 Post Reply Post Reply