FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockeda food intolerance?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a food intolerance?
    Posted: 07 January 2009 at 1:05pm
With Taine being weird, Mum has been googling, and something she found was an artcile about gluten intolernace in toddlers. Basically it made them lethargic, grumpy, and aggressive. Now this is all fitting Taine to a T, but in the googling that I am doing (only on gluten intolernace as other stuff turns into scary stuff) - the symptoms of GI seem to be more associated with bloating and diarrhea - neither of which effects taine. So what do you think?
Sponsored Links

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 2:41pm

My nephew was diagnosed with Coeliacs at 5yo but had no issues with diarrhea or bloating.  It actually took awhile to get the docs to test for coeliacs (despite our family history) because of that. 

I was diagnosed 5 years ago although it's likely I had coeliacs since I was a child but I showed very few symptoms and none bad enough that I thought there was something wrong with me.  I simply thought it was normal but my mum was diagnosed with coeliacs and since it's hereditory we were all tested too.  It wasn't until I went on a gluten free diet that these 'symptoms' which I thought were perfectly normal part of life cleared up. 

My main issue was lethargy (but I didn't realise until I went gluten free and suddenly had all this energy).  I was also malnutritioned for years which lead to me having bad nail, hair and teeth.  Luckily the nails and hair regenerate, one day I hope to win lotto and fix my teeth.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 3:49pm
My friends little boy has been diagnosed as gluten intolerant, he had a blood test for it. His main symptom was a runny bum, basically he had never had a solid poo, and he had a little ezcema but not a lot and was totally hypo all the time. The allergy doc she saw (the same one Spencer sees) said that "constant busyness" is a sign of gluten allergy.
My friends little boy had not got so far as being coeliacs though so I suppose the symptoms can change.
Perhaps you could ask your doc for the blood test for it?

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2009 at 8:30pm
You can just get a blood test to check for any antibodies. I'm gluten intolerant and probably have been for most of my life but have only had obvious symptoms for less than 2yrs. Other things to look out for are constipation (or any kind of bowel oddness) and tiredness/fatigue.

I'd book a visit with the doctor and get that blood tested, nb don't reduce the gluten in his diet before that blood test because it can give an incorrect result.
 Post Reply Post Reply