FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhen to start solids ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to start solids ...
    Posted: 12 January 2009 at 3:21pm
Hi Everyone

Just wanting to hear everyone's experiences and opinions on starting solids ... even though i'm sure it's all be discussed before!

Amy has always been a pain in the butt to breastfeed but over the last week things have turned another corner and we now have the odd afternoon where she'll refuse to even try to feed ... usually I can't get her off me ... and will scream and cry and be beside herself.

So i'm wondering if it would be the right time to offer some solid food at her late morning feed? She's not 5 months yet but can hold her head up and sit well (assisted) and has definitely started showing an interest in what i'm eating.

She's also constantly got a fist stuffed in her mouth, although i'm not sure whether this is hunger, teething or just because she can!
Sponsored Links

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 4:04pm
I started at 5months, mostly cos Daniel had weight issues and we needed to bulk him up a bit. He's had no difficulties taking them, but he's been on oral meds since he was 3 months, so is used to things going in his mouth. Now there's no stopping him!!
Mum to two wee boys
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 4:23pm
Personally I'd wait a couple more months. But it's entirely your decision.

Have you tried her with water in a sippy cup or bottle? If she has her fist in her mouth it could be that her teeth are moving around in her gums.
If she isn't wanting that afternoon feed, maybe try the water.

Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 5:28pm
I'd probably say wait a little too. In saying that tho, my first three were all on solids before 5 mths. Lil miss we waited till she was a few days short of 6 mths. Their digestive systems are more mature by that stage. I thought the older three were hungry and showing signs of being ready but in hindsight I could probably have fed them thru it for a few more weeks.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 5:47pm
Wait as long as you can, if you do decide to start early stick with the very simple foods to avoid allergies - farex made with EBM, pumpkin and kumara are a nice safe vegetables that you can cook at home - my plunket nurse recommended them as low allergy (Nurse took pity on my boobs as dear daughter was still feeding 8-11 times a day at 5months). My girl's on solids now, but avoidng a list as long as my arm to avoid allergies.
Zebra7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 8:42am
Thanks ladies. I have to admit i'm nervous about starting too early. I think i'll hold out as long as possible ... at least until she's over the 5 month mark
 Post Reply Post Reply