FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwipes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wipes
    Posted: 20 January 2009 at 6:38pm
I'm sure I read on here about home made wipes from chux clothes or the like and warm water?

I have a few boxes of liners from last time so thought I'd use them as wipes & recycle them until they need to be thrown out.

if some one remembers the thread can they bump or give me the gist of it, ie do you add anything to the water?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Sponsored Links

Alianasmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alianasmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 7:57pm
I used those for ages with Ali until i got sick of them disintegrating and switched to the yummy thick ones from tweedle. But whilst they are young and needing lots of nappy changes they work really well. I just ran them under warm water so they werent cold on a new lil bum and wiped. Either that or a few drops of teatree oil in a bowl of warm water is a nice way to freashen and cleanse at the same time.
Congrats on the new baby!
tickers" /></a>
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 9:42pm
Congrats on your new baby! I've not tried Chux cloths but I do only use water on my cloth wipes. I just run a fresh wipe under a warm tap before each nappy change as I've always thought that a warm bottom wipe would be so much nicer than a cold one!! My favourite wipes for smaller babies are Little Cloth Kiwis sherpa/flannel wipes, they're less than $2 each and are so soft & cute! For older weaned babies I love Dandelionz velour/terry wipes as they're really grippy on solid poo and stay looking new forever!

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 10:30pm
Yes, warm wipes are definetly better, he doesn't complain so much.

Ahh so there is a special wipe you can buy, cool might look into those.

Thanks guys
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 9:09am
I brought Cheeky wipes which came with bucket and first lot of teatree oil. THey are great and after five months of use they are still fantastic. I've used them since DS's birth and have never found that I needed more than the 20 it came with.
Clothe wipes seem so much more gentle on their bottoms. I used a disposable wipe the other day and he got a rash.

McPloppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McPloppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 12:43pm
I use chux cloths to wipe my wee girls sweet patootie and have not looked back. I have a bowl of water that started of nice and warm in the morning and stays at room tempthrough the day. In the bowl e have a little of her bath wash cause we noticed her smelling a little. i am about to buy her second packet og chux cloths today...the other packet lasted two months. I wash them and are starting to disintergrate now. I might look into the cloth ones.

Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 2:56pm
I use chux or liners as wipes and wash them til they fall apart. I have a spray bottle of this wipe mix for wetting them
2 cups boiling water
2 chamimile tea bags
2 tablespoons almond oil
drops of teatree oil

steep the teabags and allow to cool, then add the oils
Never had an issue when I used this stuff
Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2009 at 10:12pm
My mw recommended making a lavender spray (just water with a few drops of lavender added) and use flannels.

(Obviously haven't tried it out yet as baby is still to be born)
Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2009 at 10:15pm
Question: do you soak the chux or flannels? And what do you soak them in?
(I still struggle a bit with the idea of recycling wipes)
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2009 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Ella Ella wrote:

Question: do you soak the chux or flannels? And what do you soak them in?
(I still struggle a bit with the idea of recycling wipes)

With my cloth wipes I just rinse off any poo in my laundry sink and then stick them in the nappy bucket until I'm ready to wash.

mothersinstinct View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mothersinstinct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2009 at 12:14am
I used the sherpa wipes, highly recommend them too. So plush and not thin like chux cloths, and disposable wipes. They seem to last the distance too, and just wash them with your nappies and use them again and again.
Karyn

Mum to J (7 years) and I (4)

sweetpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 10:41am
Isn't it odd that some find this concept so strange when its what was used before the convient disposables ccame on the market. I am sure most of us had our bums wiped with just cloths that were washed. I certainley plan on using cloth wipes it just seems logical i will have the odd packet of wipes though just in case.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 1:51pm
I have used the johnsons nappy liners as wipes and I also have some cheap small face cloths that I bought from babycity that I use. Obviously the face cloths I use on their faces are a very different design so they don't get mixed up.

I don't add anything to the water, but a couple of times when Spencer was little and his bum was a little sore I would add a few drops of tea tree oil.

You don't need to soak them just chuck them in the wash then hang them out in the sun and the UV will kill any bacteria that is left. The only thing I do is put a couple of drops of tea tree oil in the nappy bucket to keep it smelling nice.

McPloppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McPloppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 6:56pm
I just bought some cheeky wipes and just love them. So much better than chux cloths.

maya22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maya22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 8:43pm
Just cut up some old flat cotton naps into squares, buy some wipes cubes (https://www.mothersinstinct.co.nz/products/Dixie-Drop-Cloth-Wipe-Cubes.html ) and a box of tissues for flushing, and your problem is solved.
 Post Reply Post Reply