FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNeed help for dinners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help for dinners
    Posted: 28 January 2009 at 10:01pm
Currently I buy jars of food for the girls as Eimear can't tolerate tomatoes, wheat or dairy. I want to stop doing this and just cook family meals which we can all share but my mind is at a blank.

All the recipes I have at the moment involve either tomatoes or packet sauces (which have wheat or dairy) as a base.

My mind is at a complete blank as what I can make.

Please help me get over my brain fart with some suggestions

PS: I have a slow cooker
Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 7:59am
Issy likes chicken and roast veges .. she also likes fish (or fish fingers)

Its pretty easy for us as we can cook our meal and then give her the parts she can eat, she has steak or lamb or any kind of meat, if its chewier than normal I just cut the pieces small for her (with chicken I just give it to her and she bites bits off)

Then she can have the vegies we are having and the potato etc etc.

Although her fav is mince pasta bake, but thats tomato based so no good for the lil ladies.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 12:18pm
What about a stew in the crockpot? It is mainly meat and veges, plus mine is flavoured with stock, soya sauce and worchester sauce - they shouldn't be a problem should they? The only problem would be the lour used to thicken the stew, do you have a substitute for that?
Lindsey

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 7:46pm
To flavour red meat (ie stews) I use wheat-free soy sauce, salt and mixed herbs. You need to check all your soy sauce labels. Worcester sauce has gluten in it, I'm not sure about wheat. Carrots make a yummy addition to stew.

Chicken is nice too. Try a chicken casserole or even braise chicken breast (chopped) in a frypan, add a bit of water, can of pineapple pieces or corn, chicken stock and soy sauce.

For something quick and easy, try gluten free sausages with veges. Tonight we had sweetcorn, potatoes and sausages for dinner and it was all done in about half an hour.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 8:28pm

What about:

• Spaghetti & meatballs (with gluten free pasta and without the tomato sauce for Eimear)
  • Shepherds pie
  • Fish pie
  • Sausage, beef or chicken casserole
  • Irish stew
  • Roast chicken
  • Chicken nibbles
  • Home-made fish fingers (I use rice crumbs which I get from New world but you can get GF breadcrumbs too)
  • Chicken strips (made the same way as fish fingers)
  • Schnitzel fingers - Michaela loves these!  (I use beef or lamb but pork would be good too, I cut it into strips and marinade in a mix of lemon juice and GF soy sauce to tenderise the meat before egg & crumbing it in rice crumbs)
  • Lamb cutlets
  • Rice risotto (a favourite of mine because it's so easy and tasty and you can basically add what you have on hand)
  • Home-made chicken nuggets (Kazzle posted a really good recipe awhile ago, I'll see if I can find the thread for you).
  • Mild chicken curry
  • stir fry
  • apricot chicken

I keep a supply of GF ingredients on hand and have found that although they can be expensive they do last well - like GF soy sauce is usually very strong so you don't need much.  New world Porirua has a good selection of GF and wheat free meal ingredients (like the rice crumbs) and Moore Wilsons in Kenepuru has some really good wheat/gluten free powdered stocks which are quite reasonably priced.

ETA:  Remind me and if you'd like I'll bring along some GF recipe books next time we meet up.

Edited by MrsMojo
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2009 at 8:55pm
Just bumped an old thread for you
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2009 at 11:51am
Oooh thank you so much for all the suggestions.

Mojo, do you have a basic recipe for risotto? It's never something I've mastered but like you said would be a great base.

I've stew on today. I'm not sure how sensitive to gluten Eimear is so I'm just going to test the waters so to speak.

Is the NZ Allergy cookbook worth buying? Or if you could recommend any other cookbooks that'd be great too.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2009 at 1:05pm

I haven't got the Allergy cookbook so not sure.  I've found my favourite recipes are ones from normal cookbooks that are naturally allergen free or that I've adjusted using special flour or ingrediants.

My risotto is so easy!  All you need to do is:

Add a couple of Tablespoons of oil to a heated pan and saute onion (I usually saute chopped bacon too - yum).  Once the onion is clear add a cup of arborio rice and cook, stirring regularly, until this is completely coated in oil and beginning to take on a transparent appearance (about 5 mins). 

In the meantime prepare 2 cups of chicken stock.  Add enough stock to the pan to cover the rice and stir through.  Once this is absorbed add a bit more stock and veges to the risotto and continue to gradually add stock, stirring each time and replacing the pan lid in between additions until there is no stock left and the rice and veges are cooked.  If the rice still seems a bit hard add some boiled water or more stock to the pan.

Vege's that are good to add are spinach (frozen or fresh), frozen peas, grated carrots and grated pumpkin.  You can also stir through cooked chicken near the end.

Post Reply Post Reply