FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRecommendation on Bottles please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kiwideedee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwideedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendation on Bottles please
    Posted: 13 February 2009 at 11:38am
Hi,
I'm 27 weeks pregnant and are planning on breastfeeding, but need to get a microwave sterilister and some bottles and a breast pump (electrical), for when I want to extract for my hubby to feed as well and for when I return to work.
I am weighing up the options of getting the Avent bottle range and steriliser and the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature range.

Alot of my friends who just had babies started off with Avent, but eventually switched to Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature as the bubs preferred them.

Any ideas or experiences?

Only thing is, I have searched but can't find that you get an electric breast pump for the Closer to Nature range?

Thanks

Edited by kiwideedee
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 11:57am
I've tried both the bottles and Daniel likes both, doesn't have a preference. Just get one bottle of each and see what bubs prefers when he/she is here and have the money put away for however many more bottles you want.

I do however have the avent isis uno breast pump (its electric and manual) and it was fantastic. And microwave sterilisers you can pick up off trademe for cheap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwideedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 12:28pm
Thanks Stacey,

Maybe I should get 2 of each to start with.

Stupid question (maybe), but will Avent bottles fit into a Tommee Tipee steriliser and visa versa?

Also, if I buy the Avent electrical pump, will the Tommee Tippee bottles fit on?

Thanks again.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 12:33pm
The bottles won't fit on the different pump no, but the pump should come with a couple of little bottles to fit (mine did anyway) and so you could just pour the milk into whichever bottle you want to use.

Can't say about the steriliser. We have long since stopped using it and when we were we only used avent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwideedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 12:50pm
Thanks.

Will give it some thought.
finnigan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2009 at 7:12pm
most bottles will fit in any steriliser, you just might not be able to fit as many in.

Both the avent & the closer to nature bottles have bpa in them. Mam bottles are great, vent well and can be bought at babycity.The medela bottles are also really good, can be stored in the fridge, and connect directly to the pump.
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2009 at 6:44pm
It is Suprising that BPA is still in Advent and tommee tippee bottles you would think big companies would remove this awful chemical?

Anyway I used both these brands when Luke was little had no idea about BPA back then. But for #2 will use glass or the nuby range which is BPA free.
Good luck
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2009 at 7:09pm
ok, so, am a little biased..... but from working with heaps of bubs, I can say that by and large - lots of babies have a perfectly fine time with the normal, cheap, plain ol bottles with normal teats......

Tommee tippee do a great range of plain bottles with lovely teats, that we tend to end up recommending to the mums who go and buy the big cumbersome "closer to nature" thingies only to find their babies struggle.

If you still really do want the big expensive ones... definately the tommee tipe ones are better, the teat is softer and better shaped for the baby to suck on. Avent teats while big and round, have very long skinny nipple piece and quite a few babies have problems with them - also you really have tip tip tip it riiiiiight up to get the last bits of milk out into baby. I do not like avent ones at all.

just my 2 cents..... save yourself some money - try the cheap normal ones first, they are just as good.

In terms of getting the whole kits and caboodle - it may be a preference to get all the same range, but there are plenty of other types of expressers out there that dont have a bottle range. if you got something such as the medella pump - a very reputable range... you can get bottles to go with, and can choose from hand pumps or electric ones (such as the swing pump or mini electric) but you can also attach normal bottles to them. if i had to recommend a pump i would go for those... although ihave heard good things about the isis pump from avent, you don't necessarily have to get the bottles to with. also many microwave sterilsers also cater for all types of bottles too.

beware of buying the whole range, or things that aren't interchangable... sometimes they only make things to fit their own brand so you have no choice but to buy it. shop around, go for whats sensible instead of what looks nice :)...

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 10:16am
We were formula feeding our girls after the first month and we used cheap warehouse bottles for the first 4 months and they worked fine we had no problems with them. However after 4 months we started using the Avent bottles as the bottles we had were too small. I don't think it matters too much. Our girls were just as happy with the cheap and nasty warehouse bottles as the fancy and expensive avent bottles which were $16 each and we got 6!

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
scribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 1:19pm
I use the Avent manual pump (which I have found excellent to use) to express the milk, then I transfer it to Evenflo glass bottles to store, heat and feed to her. It creates a few more bottles etc to sterilise, but it was worth it for my peace of mind, there are strong links between BPA and hormone problems and even breast cancer, Canada has banned BPA bottles (Avent, Tommee Tippee) already and I'm sure that eventually NZ and other countries will follow.
BessieBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 10:44am

we have eveything avent coz im ocd and it all has to match and be the same. i first bort the avent breast pump so it started from there. But everyone has there own thing about which bottles they prefer. most ppl say avent leak but ive honestly not had that problam.
And with the bpa thing, i dont understand the fush, as its been aroung for a long time but i havent heard of any one actually being affected by it.

Sarah Mum to,
Boy 07/2008, Girl 03/2010, Boy 05/2012, Angel 07/08/2014

LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 5:46pm
You just don't know .......i wouldn't take the risk with a baby as BPA is sooo dangerous and causes serious disabilities. Alot of countries have banned it already.
raggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 8:46pm
We started out on Advent and I used the IQ electric pump as I expressed every night so my hubby would be able to feed maddy her dream feed.

I would not have been able to do this amount of expressing with a manual.

The thing I found with the pump was that it didn't last long, after 4 months it started making funny sounds and suction was not the good. And by 7 months it was bascially rubbish.

Maddy never liked the tommy tippee brand and we found the Advent better for her colic and it didn't let in too much air.

Then we found out about BPA.

We now use Greentogrow and nuby. Though they would have been bad to begin with. because of the air release problem.

I would suggest if you are using a BPA containing brand not to use a microwave steriliser and not to heat it up in the microwave.

Mum2L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 10:49pm
I am BF my son and also pump for him 3 to 4 times a day while I am at uni and work.

The best pump for full-time use is either the Medela Swing or Medela Pump In Style Advanced. The Swing is for a single bottle only, whereas the PIS can do pump both breasts at the same time.

The Swing is good if you are an efficient pumper (can pump 150ml in 15 minutes). The PIS is good if you can only pump about 50 to 100 ml from each breast in 15 minutes. The PIS also tricks your body into thinking you are BF twins, so can help with keeping supply up. I would recommend the PIS if you are pumping a majority of your baby's feeds. I originally had a Swing, but upgraded to the PIS. The PIS also comes with its own bag and cooler bag.

The Swing is approximately $270, whereas at the PIS is approximately $630. It is up to you how much you want to spend, and whether or not your breasts will respond well to pumping. Theu do need to be "trained", as the pumps are based on a negative pressure system to express milk. Babies are more efficient at removing milk, they utilise both negative pressure and stripping the milk from the breast by rolling their tongue when sucking.

In terms of bottles, just stick to the Medela breastmilk storage bottles. They are excellent quality. The only accept narrow neck teats, and the best ones to use are either the Nuk 0-3 month slow(for breastmilk/water) teats or the the Chu-Chu teats (these ones are a lot more expensive than the Nuk ones. They are avaliable from Breastmates). These teats are very similar in flow to what they would be getting from the breast and help reduce nipple confusion.

All Medela products are BPA-free. They also make glass bottles as well, but you will need to get them ordered in (especially if you purchase your Medela products from the Baby Factory). Breastmates are great for ordering in any spare parts you may need (such as tubing, breastshields, etc), and I have found the pricing better than Baby Factory.

In terms of sterilisation, I use the Tommee Tippee Electronic steriliser. You CANNOT microwave sterilise Medela products, unless you use the Medela Quick Clean bags. It has something to do with the differing plastics that are used. The Quick Clean bags are great for sterilising pump parts when at work. Each bag lasts for 20 sterilisations.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwideedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 9:30am
Wow, thanks lady_aset for all the tips. I'm definately going to check out Breastmates' website.

I bought the Tommee Tippee steriliser and I got 3 bottles with it. Do you know if these bottles are suitable for newborn?

I thought of using the bucket with the Milton tablets at first, cause our microwave is out of action at the moment. But I've heard that some babies get thrush on the tongues from the solution. SO, not sure what to do. But I'll give it a go.

Thanks again.
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 10:19am
I like the sound of the glass bottles - then you know that nothing from the plastic is going to leach into bubs milk. If anybody has been onto Sharlene Poole's (the baby whisperer) webpage which is www.littlemiracles.co.nz and if you watch the documentary on there she recommends glass bottles.
Mum2L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 11:14am
Originally posted by kiwideedee kiwideedee wrote:

Wow, thanks lady_aset for all the tips. I'm definately going to check out Breastmates' website.

I bought the Tommee Tippee steriliser and I got 3 bottles with it. Do you know if these bottles are suitable for newborn?

I thought of using the bucket with the Milton tablets at first, cause our microwave is out of action at the moment. But I've heard that some babies get thrush on the tongues from the solution. SO, not sure what to do. But I'll give it a go.

Thanks again.

The Tommee Tippee bottles are too wide to fit on a Medela breast pump. I would just pass these onto a mum who may use them instead. I would just keep the sippy cup that came with the steriliser, this is good to use when introducing baby to solids.

I only ever use the microwave to sterilise things when at uni. I don't bother at work, as there is a fridge for me to keep my pump parts cool and clean. You only need to sterilise pump parts once a day (excluding the tubing, this is less frequent) if you have access to a fridge. At uni, I have to sterilise my pump parts everytime I need to use it, as no access to a fridge.

In regards to the glass bottles, they aren't actually the best for breastmilk, as the healthy stuff (antibodies) tends to cling to the side of the bottles.

Also another great site is kellymom.com
It is put together by an IBCLC and has a couple of things added by Dr Jack Newman.
I use this site all the time for advice, especially when it comes to being a pumping mum!

One thing to remember, and any IBCLC will tell you this, do not introduce bottles of EBM no earlier than 2 weeks and no later than 6 weeks. The reason for this is nipple confusion, but also can affect your supply. Too early, it can affect both ability to latch and supply. Too late, and baby may not accept the bottle.Only start off with one bottle of EBM for the first month or so, slowly working up to 2 to 3 bottles of EBM a day, so baby gets use to it.

You will also need to work out a pump schedule with your employer, to ensure that you pump enough milk and also so your supply isn't affected. It is recommended by IBCLCs to pump every 2 to 3 hours. It will take approximately 20 minutes for each pump session - 15 minutes to pump milk and 5 minutes to clean pump parts. Use your lunch break as a way to pump even more milk.

I would also recommend seeing an IBCLC once before having baby and a couple of times afterwards. They can correct any latch/supply issues, and also help with advice on pumping.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwideedee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2009 at 2:31pm
Wow, thanks, you have been a great help.

It's amazing how the little things like when to introduce bottles, can either complicate or improve your life at the end. Such crucial advice, thanks for that.

I'm also definately getting the DVD from littlemiracles. Every bit helps. We just finished our antenatal classes, and they just did an introduction to breastfeeding and how to latch on, etc. Was informative, but of course your own practical experience will be so different than the theory.

I would need to express at work, but luckily the little one will be at a daycare in the same building as my work. So lunch times I'm planning on breastfeeding, the rest of the time, I'd have to get pumping.
dunko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 7:46pm
Nuby has actually been around for quite some time overseas. The reason they are exactly like the TT Closer to Nature Ones is that Nuby used to be one of TT's manufacturers but now sells their lines directly under the Nuby brand.

The Nuby Natural Touch range are all BPA free and you can get either polypropelene or silicone (soft squeezy bottles) bottles - the silicone are more expensive. You can buy them at a few places online in NZ - just type "nuby bottles nz" into google.
JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2009 at 12:23pm
*bump*

I just bought Closer to Nature bottles and there is a sticker on the box saying 'BPA FREE'.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>