FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHeart-shaped Uterus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Crakleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crakleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heart-shaped Uterus
    Posted: 04 March 2009 at 12:06pm
Last week I had my first FA appointment, and I was referred to a radiologist to check if my tubes were blocked.

So, I had my hysterosalpinogram (sp?) on Monday, and it has shown up some alarming news. My tubes are not blocked, but...

I have a heart-shaped uterus, which means one of two things:
1. a septum uterus
2. a bicornuate uterus.

I also have a fibroid on my uterus (which i think is not as serious as the other issues).

I am anxiously awaiting my next appointment with FA to find out what this all means.

But from my research, it seems that the best case scenario is it's a septum, as you can have an operation for that, but bicornuate uterus sounds a lot more dire. :( :( :(

Also, there seems to be a very high risk of miscarriage with these conditions. You can imagine how stoked I am about that, considering I have been TTC 14 months with no pregnancy to speak of - to then find out that if I do get pg there is a high risk of miscarrying, and also a dangerously prem birth.

It turns out this is something I was born with, so at least it's not my fault!

I think the best case scenario is that I have surgery for the fibroid and septum (please be a septum!) and then I do get preg.

Either way, it's going to be a looong road involving operations, and all the charting, and BDing and eating right and Elevit in the world isn't going to help me.

I have never even heard of this problem before, and was wondering if anyone else has it? It seems quite rare.

Thes types of uterine problems also seem to be called "Mullerian Anomalies".

I spent all day Monday sobbing (alarming googling had thrown up surrogacy as a possible solution - hello my life has just turned into Shortland Street!) but am now trying to be positive, and at least wait until I know exactly what the hell the story is.

My FA appointment is still a month away!!

Sorry for the novel.
Sponsored Links

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 12:28pm
i don't know anything much at all except a girl in my AN had heart shaped uterus and had healthy baby girl 4 weeks early but she was fine...so there is hope.. ?
Mum to two amazing boys!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 12:33pm
We used to have a member on here (not any more) who has a bicornuate uterus and is mama to a 2yo. She had a lot of monitoring during her pregnancy but I don't think anything serious came as a result. As far as I recall, they were able to conceive naturally too.
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 12:40pm
Hi, sorry to hear about the news! However I had a friend a few years back who had a heart shaped uterus and had a healthy baby with no issues. I don't know much about the condition other than that there is a higher chance of miscarriage. Good luck and try to take one day at a time.
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 12:41pm
Firstly, hugs hun as it's not nice to find out news like that. Secondly, google is NOT your friend so don't go googling info on it as it has all the worst case scenarios.

It really depends on how severe the heart-shape is. I have a slight bicornuate uterus (basically a very slight heart shape) I was monitored more closely during pg and did have a bit of a scare at 26 weeks which turned out OK and then my boy was born at term. Other than that, my TTC issues have been completely separate.

Also, my friend's mum has a severe bicornuate uterus where it's so bad it basically forms to seperate wombs. She managed to carry all of her kids till at least 36 weeks as the side she wasn't carrying on would just get squashed by the side that had the baby in.

I hope you get some good answers when you have your next appt. But I strongly suggest not doing what I did - I went through my whole report and googled every word I didn't understand - not a smart move!
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 12:43pm
Elleroo, sorry to hear that. I think it is best to take 1 step at a time, & I know that is easy to say but sometimes the picture is too overwhelming.
You can make plans when you know thing for sure but don't rule anything out. There is always hope & you know you will get the best care ever. So fingers x'd for you & keep us updated so we can be a support group for you.
Crakleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crakleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 12:51pm
Thanks everyone for your support - awesome to hear that some women have had normal pregnancies/births with heart-shaped uteruses (uteri? LOL).

I am going to try and stay positive until I find out what the next step will be. Dh has been wonderful, and won't have me talking about my "bung uterus", LOL.

I guess at least I now know why I have not been able to conceive (well kind of). It could well be the fibroid preventing implantation, as apparently it sort of acts like those contraceptive devices some women have implanted.

Thanks again you guys!!!!!!!!!!
Crakleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crakleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 12:54pm
PS: Emz, you are so right, Google is NOT my friend!
asicsgal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asicsgal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 4:46pm
Elleroo still sounds like there is hope hun and although it is easy for us to say, try to take one step at a time. Yip, stay away from google, I know it's tempting cos we all do it but it gives you so many more questions than giving you answers and throws all this scary info at you which may not apply to you. Lots of hugs and keep us posted.
catie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 5:34pm
Hi Elleroo
I have a bi-cornuate/sub-septate uterus too (not sure which), and did a lot of googling when I first found out - and also was horrified by what I found! But I also found out that no-one actually knows for sure how many women have one or other of these conditions, so rates of miscarriage etc aren't very accurate. Maternity carers often only find out that someone has it if/when something goes wrong, so there could be a whole lot more women out there, who have had perfectly normal pregnancies and neither they nor their doctor ever find out about the uterine abnormality. A gynaecologist I saw said that he'd recently performed a caeseran on a woman (for an unrelated issue) who had had three previous completely normal pregnancies and births, and they only found out about her bi-cornuate uterus at this 4th birth.
Secondly, lots of women carry twins (or even more) to full-term, so if they can manage that, then your (and my!) uterus will probably be able to manage to carry one
I know this is upsetting news, but I personally don't belive the situation is as dire as google woould have us beleive.
Hope this helps.
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 6:26pm
Sorry to hear about your news Elleroo and having to wait another month to get any more news must be so frustrating I'm glad to see so many replies of others with the same thing and that they've gone on to have babies fine, such a relief. I hope the wait for your operation isn't too long.
Crakleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crakleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 12:31pm
Thanks guys, have just been away so am catching up on your posts.

Catie I think you are right, and thanks for your kind words. Chelle, thanks for your support also. :)

I am feeling a lot better about it all now - partly because I have had a long weekend away with no time to think about it, and partly because I received an email back from my FA doctor who basically said "don't panic, it's not a big deal. We can take the septate out if that's it."
So yay. Am sitting tight and waiting until my April 3 appointment, and in the meantime trying to relax. :)
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 7:12pm
Good luck Elleroo, I have normal shaped uterus as far as I know but have had a polyp in uterus which like your fibroid was acting like a contraceptive device (IUD). So you might find that is the reason you are not conceiving...by the sounds of what others are saying re heart shaped uterus it might not be an issue at all.
I have also been trying for some time (16 months?...crap i think it is 18 months when did that happen!) and only just found out in December so it was very frustrating to wait to get it fixed even though I had op in Feb.   
Pretty crazy to think that all along your naughty little uterus was stopping all the spermies ay!

Oct 11
crakars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crakars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2009 at 11:42am
Hi Ellaroo - when i had my hystero...... thingy - they told me i had one as well - but they were wrong - so make sure you have it confirmed fully - when they do the internal scans at FA they can sometimes tell from those - all my scans showed a normal shaped uterus - so who knows?

at least your tubes arent blocked!
Crakleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crakleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 8:44am
Thanks crakars! Am heaps more chilled since I wrote the original post, as I am waiting to find out exactly what is wrong. Appointment is in 10 days now, yay! :D
Crakleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crakleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 8:58am
Hey all, just an update in case it helps anyone else out there with similar issues. :)

I had another Fertility Associates appointment on Friday, and the next step is to book in for an MRI to find out for sure if I have a septum/fibroid. It's frustrating I had to wait a month to be told that, which I already knew!
We are going private for the MRI to speed things along. ($1000)
Once the MRI results are in, I will either have a surgery to remove, or else go ahead with other options like clomid/IUI/IVF if they don't feel the uterus is the problem. I definitely think it is though.

We are paying for the FA appointments, as the public funding doesn't cover this problem - seems like a ridic loophole.

If I have to have the op, we can go public but that will take months, so we are trying to weigh up if we should pay $10k to go private.

If we have to have IVF, looks like private will be our only option unless we want to wait out the 5 year period.

mummymegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 12:38pm
fx that it is all fine and we can be clomid popper buddies.
mummymegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 12:39pm
Oh, and when do you find out?
Crakleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crakleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 1:35pm
Hey Megs! Yep I hope we can be clomid pill popper buddies too! hehe.

Good news is MRI had a cancellation so I am getting it TODAY! No time like the present huh! Then it will take a few days to find out what the results are - possibly not till after Easter now.

Yay!

mummymegs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummymegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 2:27pm
yay and fx for you!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>