FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbringing up brown/purple blobs!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bringing up brown/purple blobs!
    Posted: 03 April 2009 at 3:53pm
We have a Doc appt this evening but in the meantime, please tell me someone else had had this happen and it's just a harmless side-effect of meds? Reuben's bringing up purpleish brown blobs along with his masses of spilling. He's been unsettled today, but hey, he's been unsettled all of his 10 weeks save for 4 days! And this isn't a particularly bad day for him so far (but has become one for me - I am so sick of dragging these kids into after-hours Docs way too many times over the last 2 months).

He's on Neocate formula, Gaviscon, Omeprazole granules and Lactulose. Anyone else had this happen? Nothing that goes in is that colour, so either it's coming from his tum or throat, or I wonder if maybe it's the Omeprazole (since it changes colour in suspension form once it expires from it's teeny-tiny shelf life).
Andie
Sponsored Links

katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2009 at 6:30pm
Oh no Andie! You are having a rough run. I hope someone else can tell you it is a harmless side effect. I hope you get on ok at the doctors. Wish I was closer and could have Ella for you for a couple of hours.
Let us know how you get on.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 9:27am
It'll be the omeprazole, it goes purple when it's activated. I used to find random purple granules on my nipples if I gave Chiara her losec too close to a breastfeed lol. It looks kind of like coffee grounds when it comes up.

I hope you got on OK at the doc?
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 1:24pm
hope all is ok Andie sometimes it can feel like you live at docs, mine know who I am as soon as I say hello on the phone

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 3:04pm
I have the same thing here, cuppa! They see way too much of me and my kids!

That's awesome news, Emma! I wonder if it is that. The Doc said it'd be blood as stomach acid does odd things to the colour of blood sometimes (and unfortunately I'd forgotten to bring the evidence with me), but since you found it turning purple, I do wonder. I've dropped a few granules in some lactulose on a plate to see what they do over time.
Andie
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 7:30pm
Oooh, what happened to them?

Hope Reuben is doing OK?
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 3:09pm
I ended up leaving some overnight in 3 different 'solutions'... they so do turn purple in water, and, erm, saliva! But not in fruit juice... interesting...
so no, not one bit worried about the mystery "blood" appearing, now. Off to yet another Doc appt today though - more of a review of feeding than a worrying visit.
Andie
 Post Reply Post Reply